"The Happiest Homecoming On Earth" -- Celebrating 50 Years Of Magic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Elphaba, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

It's been 50 years ( actually 51 ) since Walt Disney proclaimed "To all who come to this happy place, Welcome".

Disneyland's golden celebration will be ending soon :( Rumors claim it will end sometime before halloween. Did any of you visit Disneyland this past year to celebrate?:)

"Remember...Dreams Come True -Fireworks Spectacular"

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

My work held it's international conference at the grand californian this past year at the disneyland resort. It seems to me that they have been celebrating the 50 years thing for the past 2 years +, lol.

Anyway, Disneyland isn't all that exciting now that I am older, though I do find it neat to to go with my little nephews and see how excited they get, it reminds me of how I used to be excited about Disneyland.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

no, but it seems like it's been going on for at least 2, i rarely go to Disneyland, even though i live ~20 min away. It SO EXPENSIVE though, that's the main reason i dont go.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

went to Disneyworld, 'course that's in Florida. Something about that place brings out the evil in you. I was dropping the F-bomb every other word, though maybe that's just because it was so ****in' hot.

6. Elphaba thread starter macrumors regular

Elphaba

Wow. Well I guess the Disney magic has died off completely for the Mac community. :D

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We visited last xmas, stayed at the Grand Californian and had to evacuate the hotel at 3 a.m. 'cause the ^%(&^%( xmas tree caught fire.

Some magic. ;)

B

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I went to Disney World a few weeks back. It was awesome.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My girlfriend and I went to Disneyland on our vacation this summer. We both thought it was really fun.

10. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I went last year in July for my mom's 50th Birthday since she is the same age as park. My sister was awesome an got us reservations at 33. One of the best meals I've ever had.

11. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

I've only gone 51 times since January. :rolleyes: Oh, and I'm going tomorrow. :D

12. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Wow, your the only other person i've heard of that also has had dinner at Club 33. Only my dad won it at an auction where no one else knew what it was, :D. I agree, it was one of the best meals i have ever had.

13. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

I have to wait til December to go. :( Any suggestions on what to order?

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, I went early in their 50th year and got photos of my family sitting in a golden Dumbo, a golden Mr. Toad car, a golden Autopia car, and so on. I failed to get myself a golden-eared Mickey Mouse hat, but that's ok since I'm already wearing my Q hat.

By the way, great forum name, Elphaba!

15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm a Disney nut, I love the parks, the movies, the music. I've never heard of Club 33, but its not surprising, I haven't been to Disneyland in over 30 years. I found a website which features photos of the interior. Wow! It looks like a fantastic place. It seems there's a 7-10 year wait for membership, with a registration fee and yearly dues. While i'd love to do it, it seems excessive for someone on the opposite coast of the US. I can dream though....

16. Queso macrumors G4

What is wrong with you lot? I've been to three different Disney parks, Florida, LA, and Paris. I think the Florida one is the best, especially as they let me dive with the sharks in the Epcot tank and wave at all the tourists, but Paris definitely has the best Space Mountain.

And "It's a Small World" is an absolute scream however old you are. Impossible to go through without laughing like Beavis and Butthead right the way through :D

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's fun to look through the Yesterland website, where photos of former Disneyland rides are cataloged.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My parents, two of my cousins, and my boyfriend went to Disneyland last August (or was that July?) to take in the 50th. I had posted some photos, too.
    Oh my gosh!!! I was so upset when they took away the PopleMover! Everyone thinks I'm a nut when I mention Disney's PeopleMover. Sigh. (And RocketRods, the successor, sucked... it was only fun for the very first burst.)

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Was I dreaming..I thought they had the 50th crap like three years ago...well last time I went to DL it was in 2003 doing the college drunk thing...so cool..I wasn't drunk though:eek:

Bless

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yeah, bring back the Peoplemover and the Tron room! Actually, it was a very slow ride, so I can see why Disneyland thought they needed to replace it with something faster.

The best experience I had on the Peoplemover was when it broke down and we got to get out early and walk on the platform, above the rest of Tomorrowland, back to the loading area.

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Don't they celebrate an anniversary every year? Disneyworld isn't even that great. Unless you have loads of money to spend, which still kinda sucks. I'd rather spend it on six flags or sumthin'.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not sure, even then, 50th is a special anniversary, it's golden. See how many couples have made it that long. ;)
    Most of the people who enjoy being at Disneyland or Disneyworld aren't going for adrenaline-rush rides. It's about atmosphere, decor, attention to detail. Laid-back fun. A chance to be a kid again. Or rather, still since many of us still haven't grown up. :p

23. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

My wife and I celebrated our 10th aniversary at Disneyland and had dinner at Club 33. It was amazing. We went all out and our bill was somewhere close to the $200 mark. Worth every penny. Most amazing and romantic night ever.

24. vniow macrumors G4

Disney makes me want to strangle cute little things.

25. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Sure, if you consider a crowded, overpriced, $4/bottled water, full of clueless tourists with their spoiled brats theme-park where you have to wait 3 hours to get sick on a spinning tea cup ride a "happy place", count me out...I used to live in Orlando, I know.