The Happygram Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kobushi, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

So, I'm sitting here drinking a few beers and thinking "with all we have to complain about these days, it's rare to see someone comment positively on something." Better yet, compliment somebody. (no, I'm not to the "I love you man" state in my drunkeness (that takes at least a six pack)).

Seriously, I want to start a thread where we can all send happygrams to whomever we wish. If for no other reason than to express what we may sometimes think when we read a post, but may sound a bit sappy to say.

I guess I'll start:

Abstract, I really like how your sense of humor spans pretty much everything. I actually liked your somewhat controversial sigs, even if nobody else appreciated them :)

2. vniow macrumors G4

Ooh ooh, a stalking thread!!

*looks for victims*

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Hi Kobushi,

I would enjoy getting to know you. Hope that you are enjoying your beer.

Both loving the Mac is a good place to start. ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love all the cynical members. They add character. :)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For all its good intentions, I'm afraid this thread is going to have a tough go of it. Good luck though. :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

So true... When I read the thread title I thought to myself, "Isn't a kind PM the equivalent of a HappyGram?" But I guess it is a little different because this thread is out in the open for all to see. :p

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It isn't that the members are not "fond" of others, but these things usually turn into ego/popularity contests for some, while others are reluctant to mention someone for fear of leaving others out. Its unfortunate, but a fact of life. Some get their feelings hurt, others get their egos boosted, some suck up, others crave being sucked up to.

But if you want to say something kind about another member, feel free!
    I think it is a wonderful thing to do. Many choose to go the PM route though.

I don't want to be a downer on the thread though, so I'll leave it alone.

Cheers to all.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'd like to thank everybody here for making this forum what it is.

Participating in it is a highly engaging and addictive experience which never fails to entertain, educate and provoke thought.

Personally, it's been a tough year healthwise, and I've been cooped up at home for long periods at a time -- I don't have a TV either so MR and all of you have been a godsend, helping me keep relatively sane.

But I'd also like to make a special thankyou gesture to the mods for keeping us lot, the noisy rabble, under control. Nobody's paid to do it -- yet they willingly give time and effort to do a lot of messy and probably unenjoyable stuff behind the scenes while getting on with their own lives.

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Well said. Other posters may be hesitant to publicly compliment someone for fear of being on the receiving end of something like this: "You think ******** is funny and insightful. What have you been smoking lately? You need to get out and meet more people."

I really enjoy the forums, but still feel there is a definite pecking order in place before a general acceptance is extended and have seen enough put downs of others, be they based on the nature of the question or spelling, grammar etc. But as Mac Dawg stated, the idea is a nice one and should not be discouraged.

As soon as I read it, I was reminded of something I planned to do. Yesterday I was reading messages from a PowerBook at TekServe in Manhattan and read one that was very helpful from a member who consistently goes out of his way to share his technical knowledge and recommendations. I was planning to send a PM and today may be as good a day as any to do it.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Definitely send the PM, it will mean a lot to the recipient.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That is an interesting topic, so I'll open that particular can of worms.

Is MR cliquish?

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wouldn't know, I'm not a Contributor. :p

In all seriousness, I don't think this place shows any sign of being cliquish. We're all a pretty friendly bunch. :)

14. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Thank you for making me smile.. :) :)

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think so. :( Where's my niche? :confused:

16. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That is my perception since joining in early May 2005 and it has made me more circumspect before replying to certain threads. The bottom line that I seem to apply is this ... if I think it will be misunderstood in some way (even with the use of cute little smiley faces) or cause a a potential hassle, then why bother in the first place.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ the first part of your post-- I've withheld from responding in some threads, but but but, sometimes a little misunderstanding and disagreement can be healthy!

;)

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had no idea people thought this place was clique. That's not cool at all.

Don't let other members get to you and remember that just as someone may be misinterpreting you, you may also be misinterpreting them. I don't find anyone around here offensive (although it takes a lot to offend me) but some people have pretty different senses of humour and it can be very easy to misinterpret them sometimes. :)

19. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

No doubt about it ... I was painting with a small brush since most members are thoughtful and considerate. A forum where every viewpoint was a mirror image of the one that preceded it would quickly give way to dreadful boredom. Disagreement is fine when it is coupled with civility and an absence of personal insult.

20. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I have to agree. I have been a member since March of 05 and I have been made to feel welcome at every turn. Sure, there have been people who have not always agreed with my posts but that is part of life. You know what they say about opionions...

21. Kobushi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

yeah, I thought about that. But I figured if it was made public, someone else might see your thought and be motivated to publicly agree--or perhaps acknowledge another with similar attributes.

It is because I observe both of these attitudes in a great many other threads that I felt a need to create this one. I would hope that if the Mod's noticed a comment like your example, they would remove it as their a good bunch, too.

No doubt. I'm sure more than one of my comments in the forums has raised a few eyebrows, but if I can make one person laugh, it's worth it. "Laugh, and the world laughs with you. But occassionally, they just stare blankly"

I may as well take this opportunity to say that I also enjoy your sense of humor, mad jew. I've giggled many a time but never threw out a "LOL/ROFL/ROFLMAO" bucause I couldn't think of something else to put with it in an attempt to avoid spamming.

22. vniow macrumors G4

I would say parts of it are. Its certainly changed a lot since I first joined, back then I joined in my own little "clique" and when the other members who were in the same one moved on from the site, I kinda felt a bit out of place since a lot of the reasons that I stuck around was the community at the time and its not the same anymore. Since there's quite a bit more traffic around now its hard to keep track of al the new things that go around here, the conversations happening in this thread, the inside jokes in the other. Being quite an active member of this site requires a lot of time which I don't have so much at the moment since I work full-time and don't want to be on the computer so much when I get home since I've been on it all day, so I kinda feel a bit lost when I try to visit again.

So yeah, it is somewhat on the cliquiy side, but that just seems to be the nature of the community as it grows.

23. Jesus macrumors 6502

I love MR, and I think that the regulars; mad_jew, iGary, canadaRAM, etc are really kind and also very knowledgeful on everythhing computer related. Even though I am only a lowly regular, I have been reading this site for 3 years. I would like to apologise for my username, for all you devout Christians out there who have been offended by it. :eek:

Jesus

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

my happygrams go to those wonderful people i talk on AIM, PlaceofDis, wdlove, and dubbz

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Apology accepted Jesus. It would not be proper to not forgive and forget.

Thank you eva01, I feel eactly the same way. A Happygram to you also.
    ;)