The Harry Potter Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by SpaceMagic, Jul 10, 2005.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey all,

So less than a week until the 6th installment of Harry Potter and yes, I know you're all as excited as I am. As far as I'm concerned, this is Harry Potter year, as the new film is out in November too!

J.K. You're a legend.

Anyone going to an opening party? Despite being 18 I'm gunna dress up and go me thinks, for a laugh/i'm mad.

2. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I went to the same school as J.K Rowling, albeit a few years after she was there.

Was taught by the guy said to be the inspiration for Snape.

Got my book ordered from Amazon, they're usually pretty good I think :)

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

YES! I was waiting for a thread like this! I love all the Harry Potter books. I am so excited for next friday night. Im going to a midnight thingy at my local mall. JK is one of the only reasons why I started to read books. She is a genius and amazing! Im not dressing up but alot of my cross country teammates are going together. We might you never no what will happen when you go with a group of people. :D

4. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Rowling is ROLLING in cash from these movies man..its a joke....what is it like 6 or 7 books and she is a multi milionaire

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah I think I remember reading she was richer than the Queen!

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Wasn't she like, poor and then decided to release Harry Potter?

I remember reading that she was like barely able to live on the money she had. Now, shes swimming in cash.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

She's earned it, she set out to write books that would interest kids in reading through telling a really good story.

Hopefully she doesn't stop with Harry Potter.

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I read someplace that on some of her free time she was writing adult books of some sort. I cant seem to remember what type right now.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Looking forward to it - a friend is hosting a Harry Potter party on Friday night followed by a midnight trip to the mall and then lots of coffee while we read! Should be a lot of fun...

Although not as much fun as the party at Edinburgh Castle on Friday night. Apparently, the kids who have tickets are being taken up to the Castle in horsedrawn carriages with cloaked coachmen and plumed horses. They're recreating the Hogwards entrance hall for them and the dining hall - and the caterers have gone all out to create the foods mentioned in the books. They've even devised a Butterbeer for the occasion.

The kids are all getting Sorted into houses and given appropriate rooms to sleep in/read their books in. And then at midnight, JK Rowling will come out and read the first chapter to them before their copies are handed out.

It sounds brilliant!

10. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I think Forbes said she was almost a billionaire now

Fair play though, she's done a good job

11. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

pre ordered, have the count down widget. Who thinks hagrid is the half blood prince ? Im such a nerd. I have harry potter trivia contests with my mom's 6th graders.

12. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yes Rowling was poor, now she's scotland's richest women and one of the richest women in the world. Forbes put's her net worth last year at $1 Billion. However, as one poster said, "she writes 7 books and she's a millionaire", well it's not that simple. Harry Potter is still an ongoing formula where the books themselves got a reputation - there was no advertising needed.

Now on the dawn of another book and another film she's only set to get richer. The Half Blood Prince (for those of you not in the know, that's the title of the 6th book coming out on saturday 16th), is set to be best book yet as many would agree they've simply matured with age along with harry and co. Rowling deserves all the praise she can get as it is proven that the books have actually caused child literacy rates to rise in the UK. Children realise from them that books are just as good entertainment as TV. I have to admit I was one of these children 7 years ago.

This latest book has already smashed all selling records, which were actually last broken by the 5th book, and it hasn't even been published yet.

If you haven't read them, do so. The films are getting better but the books have always been miles ahead.

13. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Dont worry. Were all not normal if we are getting excited about Harry Potter on a fourm about macs. :p

Applespider are you gonna stay up and read it all night? When the Goblet of fire came out I was out 30mins after getting it. Who else is stayin up all night?

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

She is taking HP into adulthood as well, which will be interesting, to see where she takes it. I wonder what she intends to write about?

15. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

"Harry Potter and the case of the raging hormones" will be the 8th book so I've heard... :p

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I didn't intend to stay up all night last time. I just started reading on the way home from the bookstore and was so hooked that I kept going until I turned the last page and realised it was 6am!

Later I found out a few friends had done the same so this year we've decided all to sit and read together.

17. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

No way :eek: people read at different speeds this would annoy me :p You should make a vow not to talk to each other until the end of every, say, 3 chapters.. so you can discuss what went on and then vow again not to talk until the next 3 are over.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

And someones gonna buy the Audiobook from the store and put it on iTunes and then their iPod, and come in two hours later and finish before EVERYONE :p

19. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Holy crap!!! It took me 4 days reading 10 hours a day to finish it!

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

That's the plan! We all finished within an hour of each other last time so I guess we read at similar paces... We'll send the early finishers off to refill the coffee cups in chapter breaks.

21. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I'm gonna read it fairly slowly, I mean it is a year or so before the next one comes out so there's no rush, and it's nice to get into the atmosphere :)

I wonder if there will be many UK/US differences in this one?

22. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I finished it in 16 hours non stop last time. I'm not the fastest of readers. Got it 8:30 am on the saturday the 5th book came out. Was allowed to be exempt from house duties :p, sat on sofa and didn't eat or sleep until about 1 am. Wow though, it was worth it. I went to bed buzzing :)

Good plan, Applespider, btw.

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The first few books were OK, but then I kinda just trailed off. Never read the fifth one and I doubt I will read the sixth one. I have a stack of books about 6 high that I need to cut into. Guess I won't be contributing to Rowling's swimming pool... :rolleyes: ;)

24. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I wish I could read it as soon as I get it... :p I'm hoping that I can at least go to the release, it's not definite yet as I have a piano lesson a few hours after it comes out :rolleyes:

reality

25. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

When are your piano lessons? 4 in the morning? :eek: