The heat related iPad stories are getting ridiculous!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sir Ruben, Mar 21, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Over the last few days there have been loads of stories about the heat generated by the new iPad. Surely this is a no brainer? It has a bigger battery, more powerful processor and a retina display. I would have been surprised if it DIDNT run warmer.

However the mainstream press have latched onto this and are suggesting that it is OVERHEATING and is HOT to touch which is ridiculous! They are manipulating the story to make it sound as if there is some kind of manufacturing fault which of course there isnt.

After hours of use, and even playing games like Infinity Blade 2, mine runs WARM, which is perfectly normal as far as I was aware? Am I missing something??

2. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

I had a 2 hour wait yesterday in the service depot for my VW and had the iPad on and in my hand the whole time bouncing back from movies,YouTube,games and playing music in the background and I have to say the thing wasn't really that hot at all..

A little Luke warm in the areas it should be but that's it.

Did I also mention after a full charge I was only at 78 when I left

3. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is the nature of these forums for people top exaggerate. My favorite is where the guy says he could use his iPad as a "iron"! These forums make people even more OCD and I am sure increase the return rate on new iPads. I am betting we all pay an extra $50-$100 because some return them 3, 4 and even 5 times.:p

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Wow. The Apple store employee's must get so burned out with some people returning again and again. A genuine fault I can understand but there is NOTHING wrong with the iPad as far as getting warm.

Touch the back of a TV, warm, touch the back of your computer, warm, touch the top of a home cinema amp, warm.

If they could make a device as powerful and as thin as the iPad run completely cold without a fan Id be staggered!

EDIT: Also the people complaining of the bottom left corner getting warmer than the rest of the back, RIIIIIght? This is where the A5X is.

5. macrumors regular

xRYD3Rx

I have been using my iPad for 3-4hours a day doing all kinds of stuff, it just gets warm but not very hot at all!

I'm not sure why everyone is going crazy over this small thing.

6. Stealthipad, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If it ran completly cold, that battery would last 3 times as long. BUT, the law of physics are involved here and much of our energy in our electronics is wasted in heat!

7. macrumors member

Electronics get hot?

LoL, people NEED something to whine/bitch about.

8. macrumors G5

Macman45

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I guess the heat stories are good in a way as they show that they are struggling to find any faults with the fantastic new iPad.

I absolutely couldnt be happier. So glad I got it :)

10. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

Ever feel your iPhone after a 45 minute phone call lol?

You wanna talk about hot

11. macrumors regular

Just because your unit does not over heat it does not mean the other wont, its clearly a manufacturing/design oversight. If media sites cover it then its a legitimate issue, if its covered then suddenly dropped, thats the time I would worry.

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

If any units overheat they are individual faulty units. If the new iPads as a whole get warm, that is completely normal.

These stories will die off in a few days, because they are purely 'fillers' on slow news days. Plus any suggested Apple fault will always generate clicks.

There is no manufacturing/design oversight whatsoever. Where on earth are you getting that idea from? Or are you the kind of person who believes media overreaction?

13. macrumors regular

Wait, what gave you the idea that I believed that all units are overheating? Some are clearly faulty due to the oversight while others are not. Not all chips are created equally and some may even run 2-3x hotter than others, a friend of mine says its my Tab7.7 runs warmer compared to his Ipad3 running Infinity blade for almost 1hr.

There are a few reporting that its 'too hot to the touch' you should advocate to them :)

14. macrumors 65816

I'm the opposite

I was extremely surprised when i first got the iPad actually how cold to the touch it was.

All electronics generate heat but this thing didn't seem to even get warm.

I've been used to Dell Laptops burning your knees under normal use :D

15. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Com-plete-ly overblown story but comes with the territory. When you are a massive success story like Apple, and proven not to be a mere trendsetter but actually changing societal habits expect bb's, bullets, then torpedoes to be shot at you.

Of course the reality is consumers cannot expect any company to take a fast CPU/GPU chip, a 42 Whr battery for all day use, and make a just over 1/3 inch glass and aluminum sandwich out of it, and not expect heat transfer. But then again that is the confusion that starts in when schools stop teaching physics in high school because it's too stressful on students </sarc>

Personally, if the choice is between the iPad shell with added heat and something with less heat transfer like the plasticky TouchPad I also have, I'll take the heat all day. The iPad feels like $500+. The TouchPad did not -- of course few paid $500.

It's just too bad Tim Cook doesn't have the bravado that Steve Jobs had because we all know how Steve Jobs would react: "Get a case".

16. macrumors 6502

Clicks= Funny $$$$$$

17. macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

it clearly is

just like it's clearly been with the iPhone 4S battery 'design oversight', the iPhone 4 antenna 'design oversight', the iPad 2 'massive backlight bleed' design oversight', the MacBook Pro i7 and i5 heating 'design oversight', and so on, and so forth.

if you WANT to find flaws, you WILL find them, on any piece of gadgetry. also, media sites covering suff is a very bad metric, as they depend on pagehits, which means they'll overblow stuff as much as they can to provoke the strongest reactions. Media coverage means _nothing_. Especially when it comes to supposed flaws of Apple devices, nowadays.

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors 68040

Pressure

Ehm, 2 to 3 times hotter than others?

No no, the difference between high leakage parts and other parts are not that big.

The Thermal Design Power is made after the "worst" parts and are considered the average.

20. macrumors regular

Actual temperature wise, probably at worse case its gonna be like 7~10c more, 2-3 more hotter to the human touch is what I ment, I've had that experience with a non apple device where my first unit ran extremely cool when charging and playing a very intensive 3d game and the replacement was uncomfortably hot doing the very same thing. Considering theres a CPU+GPU+Bigger Battery+double the LED needed for the dsiplay shows that this is a very plausible issue. sites report its 10c hotter than ipad2, while others say its so hot that it is very uncomfortable to the touch.

21. macrumors newbie

Happy with mine, spent first 3-5 hrs today d/l and installing all my apps, heaps of battery left and with all the crap about heating up going around I kept checking it, bah storm in a tea cup.

22. macrumors 6502a

Pretty clear the heat heat whiners never owned an Apple laptop, or used one. That's heat folks. ;)

23. macrumors regular

In the world of 24/7 news, this is so pathetically predictable. Sites need eyeballs, eyeballs love drama.

24. macrumors 6502

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

What winds me up are the idiots out there who read these stories and automatically assume the thing is boiling hot.

It gets WARM................NORMAL WARMTH...............NOT HOT :D