The heroification of Reagan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh boy.

I just caught a snatch of news on MS-NBC, and they were focusing on Ronald Reagan's health which, I gather, is deteriorating. Reading between the lines, it sounded like they were saying he's in the final stretch. However long that will take.

And it gives me pause. Because -- with all due respect to the guy and his family -- I know from past experience that the second he's dead, all the outlandish talk will begin again, immortalizing him as some kind of political God. Those who think of him as the Greatest President Ever (one of the grandest fantasies in history) will once again resume their calls for his face to be carved in Mount Rushmore, his likeness on the dollar bill, and some sort of national monument erected to him in Washington, D.C. It is to shudder.

For those of us on the liberal side, it's a farce. Imagine, members of the respected opposition, how you'd feel if you were to see Jimmy Carter's face on Mount Rushmore, or Bill Clinton staring back at you from the dollar bill.

I don't mean for this to be a "Was Reagan a great president or not" thread, because I doubt anyone is going to change anyone's mind on that point. Think of this more as a rant from someone who respects our greatest presidents, and is horrified at the idea that there is a sizeable group of people who want to put Reagan among them.

I don't know, maybe I'm worrying for nothing. But then again, the guy's not even dead yet, and they've already named an airport after him....

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for things like naming libraries (every president gets one anyway, right? even those who don't read?) and airports, i don't think it's a big deal.

but for money and mt. rushmore, i think time must pass and the decision be made by those who are looking through the prism of history. i suggest a minimum of 50 years after passing.

maybe it's just me, but i think mt. rushmore is "done." if there's a movement to add people, let's find a new mountain.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not a numismatist anymore (was when I was a kid), but off hand I can only think of six presidents who've ever appeared on US money: Washington, Jefferson, Grant, Lincoln, FDR and JFK. The last three at least were commemorated less than 50 years after their deaths. In the case of FDR and JFK, a year or less afterwards.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hamilton $10
    jackson $20

(off the top of my head)

even in the case of FDR and JFK, i think a year is too soon. though it might make sense to create an exception for those assassinated in office.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What if Junior is assassinated? :eek:

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I was 10 and 14 when Reagan was elected in Electoral College landslides. I predicted both wins :D I was very proud of myself.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

put him on the $10,000 bill. looks good on paper, but only the rich can afford it.

8. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

Well, he's dead. Let the heroification begin.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

For those of us who remember Iran/Contra, the ballooning of the deficit, the firing of the Air Controllers, the explosion of homelessness, the inaction on AIDS, the brinkmanship with the Soviets, the refusal at Reykjavik, and on and on, this man was no hero. He is dead and for his family and those who loved him it is a terrible time, but he was no hero.

zim, Hamilton was not a President. Good call on Jackson though. ;)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I forgot about Jackson, but not Hamilton -- he was never president.

"Benjamin Franklin -- the only President of the United States, who was never President of the United States."

(Two points for identifying this quote.)

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Wow. That is sad.

12. evil macrumors 6502

careful...dont want the S.S. (secret service) showing up at your door do you ?

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

"So, where are you going on vacation this year?"

"I'm going to Reagan, I'll be flying out of Reaganville into Reagan Reagan on a Reagan 757. Probably when I'm there I'll visit the Reagan, and if I have time, the Reagan Reagan, or the Reagan Reagan Reagan."

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Anywhere but Reagan...

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's OK, if it didn't come from Chalabi, so they won't believe it.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He was not a hero but he was not the worst. The only significant positive thing I can remember is that the administration helped to modernise the laws governing the auto industry. The sealed beam headlights were finally doomed after around 60 years. Bumpers and various other safety items were changed as well.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Damned with very faint praise. Exegi monumentum aere perennis?

18. dopefiend macrumors 6502

I have reared a monument more lasting than brass?

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Damn...I just came home, opened this thread and found that he'd died. The irony being that "family representatives" were denying earlier today that his health was declining as reported. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I feel both good and bad for his family...sorry for their pain, but glad that the hardship is, for them, over.

With regards to the news media...I think I'll just stay away from them for at least four or five days. I don't mean to be harsh, but I have a feeling that what I'd hear would make me gag.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering it's a "crime" to even joke about it.

If he vanishes from the forums, we know where he is.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not a crime over here. :cool:

Anyway, I was only asking a question... :eek:

Sorry, gotta go: there's somebody at the door....

22. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nice post.

I am member of a high end-guitar forum where the average member is a 30-50 year old right winger. Talk of politics is strictly forbidden on the board, but someone started a Reagan RIP thread there, and there are three pages worth of "best president of all time" posts.

I had to step away from my beloved mac and take a deep breath, as I was about to reply with many of the same things mentioned here - which would have gotten me banned.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if i repeat it enough, it will become true....

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Most any "Best Prsident" argument has more smoke than fire...

But after the negativism of the Carter era, Reagan's obvious love of this nation and its people truly shone. He restored our faith in ourselves as no other president has ever done. Sure, others helped carry us through hard times, but the change in mood from his own persona made one helluva difference.

His policies ended the 15%+ inflation rates and the 12%-15% home loan interest rates of 1980. The ensuing boom, but for the white-collar recession of 1989-1991, was practically unparalleled.

His policies led to the end of the Cold War, and high time it was. The "brinksmanship" in Iceland was no brinksmanship; it was the first time we didn't roll over like little puppy dogs at the sight of the Toothless Tiger--which the USSR soon proved to be.

His "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" resounded throughout the world, and hundreds of millions of people are now free of the fear of Soviet domination.

Yeah, he had blind spots on environmental issues. His method of delegation which led to the Iran-Contra stuff was not at all good for him or for us. His abdication of control of domestic spending to O'Neill and Rostenkowski gave us horrible budget deficits.

On balance? The boy done good.

'Rat

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I dunno. It seems to me that the "Reagan defeated Communism" argument requires a pretty severe lack of knowledge about Soviet history and willfull oversight of Gorbachev, who, if anyone deserves the credit (or blame) for the demise of the Soviet Union, it's him.

Reagan was a great spokesman. His "look, I knew Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson was a friend of mine. Bill Clinton is no Thomas Jefferson" line at the '92 convention was awesome. I laughed my ass off. He made people believe in the product he was selling.