The "Hobby" Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Squire, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Folks:
    I'd like some help with a little bit of casual research I'm doing. It involves the word hobby.

1) Please, in your own words, explain what a hobby is. (It's important that you not consult a dictionary.)

2) Give some examples of what you consider a hobby.

I imagine we'll get a lot of discussion about each other's hobbies. That's great. But if you could do #1 and #2 above first, I'd really appreciate it. Once a few people post, I'll chime in with my own ideas. (If you're curious, it's for a class discussion in an Applied Linguistics course I'm taking.)

Thanks in advance.

Squire

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

1) A hobby is something you do in your spare time, that has some great interest to you. Weather that being reading or Monster Truck Racing, it is an interest and hobby.
    2) For me, my hobbies include Golf (sunday ritual, 3 generations of my family (me, my dad, and my grandfather) and when the weather is good, my Boat gets used. For anything else, my Wife usually screws her nose up at (snorkeling, Hang Gliding) but i believe that if you are passionately interested in that activity, it is a hobby. For me, they all happen to be sports.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would agree with the above definition. In most cases you spend money on your hobby and don't make any :D

I don't have any hobbies myself, exactly. I'm a multimedia graphics guy, so I do photography, draw/sketch, animation, video, build mock ups, etc. And the line blurs a little for me in that regard because all those things become part of my range of talents that I use regularly.

Another definition might be when someone refers to a significant other as their 'hobby'. I'm guessing that might mean that they're working on changing the individual in some way.

D

4. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Thanks for the reply.
    I always considered hobbies to be things that, of course, you did in your free time for pleasure, but also things that required some sort of specialized skill or knowledge (i.e. coin or stamp collecting, woodworking, painting, photography, etc.). In fact, most people I've asked in person have shared my opinion. I guess my concept of hobby is a little more specific.

Squire

5. acceber macrumors regular

1) A hobby is an activity that you partake in to have fun and relax.

2) What I consider to be a hobby....anything basically that you enjoy doing as leisure....playing a musical instrument, playing sport with your friends, listening to music, knitting, reading, writing, playing with pets, chatting with friends, surfing the internet, sleeping (although whether that is a hobby or not is disputable as it is a necessity), watching DVDs or videos, and for some strange people, cleaning the house can relax the mind not to mention provide some light exercise!

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I think it is...

A subject or plan upon which one is constantly setting off; a favorite and ever-recurring theme of discourse, thought, or effort; that which occupies one's attention unduly, or to the weariness of others; a ruling passion. [Usually under the form hobby.]

You can also say: amusement, art, avocation, bag, craft, craze, distraction, diversion, divertisement, fad, fancy, favorite occupation, fun, game, interest, kick, leisure activity, leisure pursuit, obsession, occupation, pet topic, play, quest, relaxation, schtick, shot, sideline, specialty, sport, thin, vagary, weakness, whim, whimsy

... No, I didn't look in the dictionary :p :D ...

BTW, I agree with the guys above... ;)

My hobby is photo & video editing ...