The holiday Thread™(It's NOT official)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imacintel, Dec 20, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

So...the holiday season is upon us. I have been noticing a LOT of christmas threads, so I think it would be good to create an ENTIRE thread about all the religion's celebrations around this time.. This thread isn't to be a giant thread about what foot cream you prefer. This is a thread where we celebrate everyone's culture, including Christmas. I don't want thread crapping here. This may not be an Official™ thread, but I want people to celebrate. Tell what makes your celebration unique! What foods do you make?? Do yuo hate christmas lights(well, we know samichi does :p)? Let it all begin!

2. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

We follow a Christmas Eve tradition (Polish) that is called the Wigilia. This starts as the evening star (Venus) appears. The table has hay placed under it for the reminder of the stable before sitting down at the table, everyone breaks the traditional wafer, or Oplatek and exchanges good wishes for health, wealth and happiness in the New Year (this can be very nice and emotional if one's heart is in the right place) <---probably the best part of the tradition.
    Then we eat traditional foods like pierogi, groch i kapusta, fried fish and a few other items (also eat raw garlic to provide good health for the up coming year).

That is really all that is done in my family as far as tradition around the holidays goes. It will be interesting to hear similar or other types of traditions.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Haven't even gone Christmas shopping yet. I'll do it Saturday. :p

Got the lights up.

And I know I'm getting a Mac Mini. :)

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

How can someone hate Christmas lights?! They always look so nice in the night. :( Unless you fell off a ladder while putting them up, then maybe.

I celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way (.. which doesn't exactly mean "I'm in it for the presents" fwiw), but we have a nice dinner, and it's a tradition to go around the neighborhood and look at the lights.

Annnd I'm hoping this Christmas goes by quickly because after MWSF I should have a sexy new Macbook in my hands. :D

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Same here... hopefully. :)

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My family also celebrates in a non-religious way. My mom cooks lasagna every year and we just have some family over.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I suppose it depends whether or not you live next door to something like this... :p

vegas1.jpg

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not too unique: family gatherings...

Christmas morning: my older sister and I will open our gifts and when we're almost done my dad will come in and open his. Mommy opens her after my dad does. My immediate family will usually go watch a movie in theaters (the only time my parents ever see a movie in theaters).

Dinner is usually w/ the larger, extended family.

Foods:
    Chinese hot pot
    beef roast (prime rib, usually)
    roast ham
    assorted veggies
    some Chinese dishes

9. bosoxinsa macrumors newbie

We always go and watch the christmas pangeant at church. It is always nice since there is 5 billion people there and all I see if the back of everyones head. I have two young kids so I spend most of the time keeping them occupied and not making a spectacle of themselves. Then we go home and eat till we can't anymore. Several family members usual get drunk and make an ass out of themselves or get in a fight with each other. It usually makes for wonderful after dinner entertainment. Then we all pretend to love the gifts that we bought each other. Then we call it a night! The highlight for me is watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when everyone leaves. That movie never gets old. :)

We usually eat:
    Tamales
    Chips and salsa
    hot wings
    veggie tray
    cheese trays and meat trays

10. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Usually we get our Tamales about a week before Christmas. On Christmas Eve we go to church (Not Midnight Mass), come home, watch a few holiday movies, and then open Presents!! I get to open mine on Christmas Eve too!:)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I had no idea Tamales were a Christmas tradition (but now that you mentioned it, I googled). :eek:

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Have you been in a cave?! :eek: :D

13. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

That's ok!:) They didn't start getting popular until a couple of years ago anyway. We get them because one side of my family is Hispanic.

14. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes! :eek: And my cave didn't have any Mexican take-out! The nerve! :D

16. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, for me, it's pretty much the standard Canadian chrismas dinner, usually have some relatives, and I kind of play pool, watch the game(that's hockey for us Canadians:D)and just have a good time. My PowerBook is involved in music supply through AirTunes.

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Except maybe in rural Yuuessofeehhh :( :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]