The Home Computer Is Evolving Into Hub for Multimedia Experiences

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by King Cobra, Jul 23, 2004.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Full article

A recent study by Parks Associates of more than 4,000 U.S. Internet households reveals that people with platforms such as Microsoft's Windows® XP Media Center Edition are redefining the PC's role through applications such as photo editing and video recording. In the survey, both current owners and likely buyers of Media Center Edition home computers reported significant differences compared with the entire U.S. Internet population in terms of their use of and interest in applications such as listening to digital music, creating custom CDs and DVDs, editing photos, and recording and viewing television and movies.

Now, I know the article seems PC-pro, because there is no mention of Apple, but the findings of computers being used as entertainment centers makes sense. We've already seen this with iTunes, and I think that the trend is going to continue for a long time and expand into other areas.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It sounds as though the research had a bias toward the PC. I agree that the home computer is becoming more interwoven into our daily lives. Apple needs to stay ahead on that trend also.
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Yeah, Parks surveys are tailored to find out what their customers (typically companies looking to enter a particular market) ask for, it's not really intended to be open-ended research. The press release should be taken more as an ad for their services than a source of information.
  4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    And of course, no mention on how Apple wanted to position itself at the center of the "digital hub" years ago, as usual. :rolleyes:

Though Apple does seem to be dropping the ball somewhat on that lately--they're concentrating on the iPod + iTunes phemomenon almost to the exclusion of the rest of the digital hub.
  5. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Apple needs to push the iLife feature to the public.
  6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
  7. davecuse macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004