The Hot Beef Injection

Discussion in 'Community' started by AppleAce, Mar 31, 2005.

1. AppleAce macrumors regular

So I'm watching tv the other night, nothing much is on, so I'm watching The Breakfast Club on AMC, shortly after 11 pm. Much to my dismay, they overdubbed the *best line in the whole movie*. Yes, they replaced "Did you give her the hot beef injection?" with something to the effect of "Did you give her some hot love and affection?" :eek:
    Downright ridiculous. Since when was it illegal to say "hot beef injection" on cable tv after 11 pm, huh? :mad: Now I don't have a problem with some censorship, although I'd prefer less of it, but lately it's been getting pretty bad. And don't even get me started on the MPAA.....
    Just my rant on the FCC, wondered what you guys thought.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Weird. It was on normal network TV here a couple of months ago and was not censored at all.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

On most of the cable networks... TNT, TBS, USA, AMC, etc etc... these things get heavily censored, round-the-clock here. Even the littlest sexual reference anymore. I watched Primary Colors the other day on Bravo and had to stop watching, in some scenes every other word was dubbed I swear. I wonder how much further it'll go before we as a society stop catering exclusively to children, we can't have their precious little ears hear coarse language if the parents are too lazy to turn the TV off...

4. AppleAce thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, but it looks like your "here" is in the UK. Much less censorship overall on your side of the pond, no?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Seems to be the case. We have a program on about Mohamed Al Fayed right now and it's full of swearing, rudeness and discussion of his lack of underwear. And we don't care :)

6. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Censorship is the result of who our country was founded by: prudes who left Europe because their religion clashed with common sense. Damn puritans!

As it was said in the movie Analyze That: "Sometimes you need a glimpse of the old sausage."

A-thankyou ;)

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Haha, I can definitely agree with that. I was watching it with my parents and, in their company, was slightly disconcerted with the amount of profanity.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOFL :D

bwahahhahahhaha... when i first saw the thread title i thought this would be about some new medical procedure like botox where the inject some hot beef or something into your face. :eek: well, after seeing the context it's used in i see it's really something quite different. :D LOL.

9. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Sorry to be off topic, but was this a typo or some new acronym I'm not yet accustomed to?

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The Breakfast Club ROCKS!

First watched it about 10 years ago when i taped it from BBC1 as it looked ok and neraly killed the tape from viewing it so often!

The DVD is out but the extras are lacking, we have hours of extras for crap modern films but SFA for older movies.

A commentary would be one that i would actually sit through and listen.

11. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

i think he meant Laughing Out <sencored> Loud ;)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm surprised that there would a problem on a Cable network. Partly sounds like silliness. Don't see anything wrong with "Hot Beef Injection." My thought is that it would be to insert some flavoring spices into the meat.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Does your wife know you talk dirty to us like that?

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Agreed. It seems like everything these days is justified with a "for the children" excuse. Trying to shelter children completely and then sending them off into college or the real world when they're eighteen is a recipe for disaster, and yes I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Tying this to another thread, it reminds me of the South Park episode where Starbucks were popping up faster than illegals in Arizona. "If you vote against this, you hate children..."

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

TV really is starting to get bad, just another reason why i have stopped watching it, plus its a waste of money for cable in my opinion, except for maybe the History channel and a few others.....

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's it! we just need to get censors to are to naive to understand the sexual references! brilliant.

The over-sheltered were always my favorite to party with when I was really self-destructive, because they didn't know the meaning of the word "moderation". Self-control is a lesson, not an instinct.

17. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I was waching that too! It seemed like every other word was overdubbed. Instead of saying "bull*hit" on of the characters said "hogwash". This was the first time watching the movie for me, so they (AMC) really ruined it for me. :rolleyes:

18. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I know it's not cable, but when "Do the Right Thing" was on CBS they replaced "motherf---er" with "mickyficky".

Stupid mickyfickies. :)

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Haha, you have to wonder who comes up with this stuff.

20. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Agreed. I pay way too much for cable, but I cannot stand the thought of not having Discovery, History, Science channels or Comedy Central. HBO has good programming too, although it's a premium channel. Those five stations probably constitute +95% of my TV viewing, don't know what the other 200+ channels are for. As far as I can tell it's just reality tv, soaps, crap talk shows or lame sitcoms. Every once in a while the networks get a sitcom or primetime drama right (Seinfeld, Law & Order, etc).

As for censorship in general, I am not a fan. If you don't approve of something change the channel or turn it off. If you don't know what your children are watching/listening to then that is your fault, not the fault of the media or government - take some responsiblity! My mother used to know all the TV shows I watched and I wasn't allowed to watch some. She would read all of the lyrics of every album I purchased and sometimes I had to get rid of them. Yes, parenting well is difficult, but you need to think about that before giving/receiving hot beef injections. :)

21. AppleAce thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, my favorite scene to watch "edited for tv" I think is in Major League when Vaughn goes after Dorn after he thinks he's been cut. There's about 10 f-bombs in that scene, so the picture & dialog seem like they've been dubbed over from a foreign language.
    Another thing that I seem to notice when they show Back to the Future is they often overdub "son of a bitch" with just simply "bitch." Doesn't make any sense at all why they would do that.
    Going to hijack my own thread here: Does anybody know of anyone who actually uses the "v-chip" thingy in their tv's? That has to be about the dumbest idea ever. 1) most kids would be able to figure out how to use this better than their parents. 2) I would be willing to bet that most people's passwords are the last 4 digits of their phone #, and 3) The only people who would use this are parents who think they care what their kids watch, but can't be bothered to actually talk to them, know what shows they watch, and keep them out of trouble.

Oh, and "Yippee-ki-yay, mickyficky" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :rolleyes:

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not sure what you mean? :confused: There are recipes that call for injecting spices into meat prior to cooking. They make specialized devices just for this purpose.

23. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Come to the UK

Loads of swearing, sex and violence after 10pm - and thats just the late night chat shows!

And your always guaranteed a good late night French movie with lots of arty nookie on BB2 or C4 :)

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    When Die Hard was first on in the UK, ITV replaced "motherf---er" with "kemo sabe"... most bizarre!

25. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

OK - slightly OFF topic...

In 1994, I was working for an Australian TV programme syndicated on the Discovery channel called "Beyond 2000". My crew filmed a story on Tim Collings, the inventor of the V-Chip at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver. He was a fantastic bloke, and his idea for the V-Chip was for nothing more than to create a safer environment for children to watch television by.

His ideology was inspiring - it would be the PARENTS who controlled the viewing of their children. It was and IS nothing more sinister than what Cybernanny or Netsurfer does to the internet.

Suddenly, we watched in bemusement from the other side of the World, as politicians and human rights groups in the United States branded this technology Totalitarian, and its inventor crazy.

I'd never met a more sane man in my life.

And now - everyone can see how television can affect the population. We have gun crimes in schools, violence in the streets, and the news to sanitise it all. We find ourselves drawn to watch, only to see graphic violence in epic proportions, and not realising we're becoming immune regarding what we see.

I have a 5 year old, and I refuse to show him the prime-time violence shown masquerading as "World Events" between 5:30-7pm. Even Breakfast and Lunchtime news has little censorship.

For example: I had to go to Sri Lanka the day after the Tsunamis, and saw first-hand the catastrophic carnage a barrage of 65 foot waves could do to people and structures - whilst back in London my son suffered nightmares from the images portrayed on the many news channels. The rule from many of the news organisations were that the "bar had been lowered", and shock tactics were to be applied. I made sure that I DIDN'T lower myself to show that kind of gratuity as I filmed events unfolding around me - and I'm very proud that the news organisation that I work for didn't either...

The V-Chip was - and IS - the perfect solution. Children could access the shows that the PARENTS allowed them to see - and that was all. NOT the Government, and NOT the networks - the power lies with the PARENTS.

Maybe if we WEREN'T so blazé about what we saw on television, then when an horrendous event DOES take place we should be SO appalled that we would make sure it never happens again. Think about your reaction to a such an event now...

Sorry for the topic diversion. Please stand by - normal programming will resume shortly...