Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
So any sports shooters around here? The high school football season has started and I thought I would take a crack at it.

Nikon D2H w/ Nikkor 300mm f/2.8

D2H_8886.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nice lens...

Since I did a ton of football photography in my time, I'd recommend getting a sideline pass (if needed) and isolating on the ball carrier from a lower perspective. Move around the field as you anticipate where the action is going to go. Get behind the goaline on scoring opportunities, and also take a gamble once in awhile on a big play breaking by being on the side of the field where most other photographers haven't gotten to yet (like getting down to the opposite endzone during a punt in the off chance it gets returned all the way, or blocked.) Also, sideline reaction shots of players and coaches tell a lot of the story, as well as some crowd shots. A great thing about sports is the emotion it brings out of the athletes and fans, and that's a subject to focus on. The athlete on the sideline with his helmet hanging at his side, sweat and dirt on his face, the joy, disappointment, etc...

Have fun, and cover both sides from their respective sidelines. You should get a lot of material. A second body with a fast, short lens (35-50mm) is great for sideline work.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Yes, I shoot for my school's yearbook. I've got a D200 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I have a few pictures on my website. (I have only been to one game so far and didn't have my good lens at the time) They still came out pretty well though considering I just shot with 18-200mm VR.
-Ted

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
you can shoot video from top but not stills.
shoot from your knees. players have more depth at this angle
and you get face.

one thing i wouldnt do that was recommended to you is run up and down the sidelines. stay in one place. switch endzones at half if you want but dont go flip-flopping all game long. you'll wear yourself out. you'll upset boosters. you'll upset fans trying to watch. you'll upset other shooters. the sooner you develop proper shooting etiquette the better.

frame tight. if you go wide, make sure you're making an impact RIGHT away.
this looks like a night game under lights. custom wb before kickoff and you'll save pp time.

and those borders...very unnecessary. no reason to pretty it up beyond the orignal image

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I realize being on the sidelines is ideal, but not everybody can get down to the field :rolleyes:

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
sorry, i combined you and the yearbook guy.
if you cant make the action (football game) tell the story,
make the off-field create the story. pdx had some great ideas on where to start.
fans, coaches, sidelines, concession stands, ticket lines, cheerleaders, mascots, going wide to show magnitude, or solitude...etc etc

make it fun and you've got your game without a game

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
beavo451 said:
I realize being on the sidelines is ideal, but not everybody can get down to the field :rolleyes:

Maybe you can get the school you're covering to give you a field pass... Offer to sell, or provide some pictures to them for their archives. Sometimes a local paper will let you do an assignment for them covering local high school action and give you a press pass. All worth a try.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
peas said:
one thing i wouldnt do that was recommended to you is run up and down the sidelines. stay in one place. switch endzones at half if you want but dont go flip-flopping all game long. you'll wear yourself out. you'll upset boosters. you'll upset fans trying to watch. you'll upset other shooters. the sooner you develop proper shooting etiquette the better.

I don't think what I recommended was exactly "running up and down" the sidelines. Rather, if you can get a sideline pass, use it to it's advantage. A football game lasts a while, and gives plenty of opportunities to change vantage points, especially if you want something original and not the same as all the other photogs. I never once experienced a problem with boosters, fans, players or coaches, and they all were more than happy to have the coverage from a newspaper photographer. I don't think staying in one endzone for an entire half is a good idea, unless you're loaded down with too much equipment to carry. Mobility worked for me, but again, I was in good shape. It helps to be focused on the flow of the game to know where the action is likely to unfold, therefore being able to anticipate shots that are tight, and full of 'face.' Everyone has their own methodology, and whatever works for you is good.

Lots of shooters show up at games to get a single shot or two, and then call it a night. They tend to find a spot, and stick with it. I liked to build a good archive of shots throughout the whole game, and that included the off-field images as well as personal images from both sidelines. So, I move around a bit. I've sold a lot of photos when I was doing it freelance for local daily and community newpapers since I owned the copyrights to my work. Boosters from both sides always like shots of their kids in action. Remember to mix it up a bit, and not just focus on the 'stars' of the game. Get shots of linemen, blockers, defensive backs, etc. They all have parents who treasure the pictures.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
peas said:
you can shoot video from top but not stills.
shoot from your knees. players have more depth at this angle
and you get face.

frame tight. if you go wide, make sure you're making an impact RIGHT away.
this looks like a night game under lights. custom wb before kickoff and you'll save pp time.

and those borders...very unnecessary. no reason to pretty it up beyond the orignal image

Don't sugarcoat it, tell it like it is....

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
pdxflint said:
I don't think what I recommended was exactly "running up and down" the sidelines. Rather, if you can get a sideline pass, use it to it's advantage. A football game lasts a while, and gives plenty of opportunities to change vantage points, especially if you want something original and not the same as all the other photogs. I never once experienced a problem with boosters, fans, players or coaches, and they all were more than happy to have the coverage from a newspaper photographer. I don't think staying in one endzone for an entire half is a good idea, unless you're loaded down with too much equipment to carry. Mobility worked for me, but again, I was in good shape. It helps to be focused on the flow of the game to know where the action is likely to unfold, therefore being able to anticipate shots that are tight, and full of 'face.' Everyone has their own methodology, and whatever works for you is good.

Lots of shooters show up at games to get a single shot or two, and then call it a night. They tend to find a spot, and stick with it. I liked to build a good archive of shots throughout the whole game, and that included the off-field images as well as personal images from both sidelines. So, I move around a bit. I've sold a lot of photos when I was doing it freelance for local daily and community newpapers since I owned the copyrights to my work. Boosters from both sides always like shots of their kids in action. Remember to mix it up a bit, and not just focus on the 'stars' of the game. Get shots of linemen, blockers, defensive backs, etc. They all have parents who treasure the pictures.

i think we shoot different scales.
you cant get into a game as a stringer. either you have the creds or you dont get in. that would explain why you cover the way you do. as long as it works for you then it's all good

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I was at the game specifically because a friend wanted pictures of her daughter and the drill team. I was not there for the purpose of capturing heated football exchanges. If I can get on the sidelines, then that's awesome. If not, what can you do?

Re: Pictures of the cheerleaders.
A 300mm lens + D2H + monopod is very obvious in the stands. It is even more obvious when it is tilted down and pointed at the cheerleaders. In today's pedophile ridden world, I did not want to become a target of moms when they see this huge, spy-looking contraption aimed at their underage girls.

Re: Frames
IMO, frames finish a picture. It provides a clear distinction between the photos and the background. When I see unframed pictures, I sometimes get lost trying to find the edges and is distracting. So all my photos I post will have a virtual frame. How many pictures do you have hanging on your walls just bare and unframed?

There is another game this Thursday. I will try to get on the field, but I am not expecting to be able to.

I have contatcted local newspapers before, but with no success.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
I'm also a sports shooter.... this year i'm using a D2Hs and D200, with the 70-200mm AFS VR and 200mm f/2.0 AFS VR, gimbal head, monopod, and a TC14 on the way.

friday was my first game of the year, first ever with the Hs and 200 f/2. Very fun. Light stank- it was bad enough as it was but the sky was gray- almost black, and we got delayed due to lightning alerts.

about halfway in a great pass to one of our receivers was going very well but two defenders forced him out of bounds out of nowhere- i couldn't move fast enough and he plowed right into me full on. I'm 17, 5'9", and weigh about 120lbs. My monopod and possibly my QR clamp are a bit messed up, but camera and lens are perfectly fine somehow. maybe even better than before :rolleyes:

The camera did get off one shot during the fall...freaky.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Silentwave said:
I'm also a sports shooter.... this year i'm using a D2Hs and D200, with the 70-200mm AFS VR and 200mm f/2.0 AFS VR, gimbal head, monopod, and a TC14 on the way.

friday was my first game of the year, first ever with the Hs and 200 f/2. Very fun. Light stank- it was bad enough as it was but the sky was gray- almost black, and we got delayed due to lightning alerts.

about halfway in a great pass to one of our receivers was going very well but two defenders forced him out of bounds out of nowhere- i couldn't move fast enough and he plowed right into me full on. I'm 17, 5'9", and weigh about 120lbs. My monopod and possibly my QR clamp are a bit messed up, but camera and lens are perfectly fine somehow. maybe even better than before :rolleyes:

The camera did get off one shot during the fall...freaky.

Wow, that is a alot of equipment for being 17! Is it yours? Great story too!

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Yep, its mine. There are advantages to shunning the way of life of most teens in my age/social group.

Apart from 6 months when i was actively dating, i go out extremely rarely, and didn't get a car until about 2 months ago (and barely use it). I don't feel the need to go out shopping every 5 mins nor do I feel like I need to wear designer clothes everywhere :p. I'm not quite like the fellow students at my 'elite miami prep school' as the national enquirer called it a while back :D

Of course that does mean that I have a bit of a problem with sharing images at times...but this year it'll be different- we're selling prints and all the profits go to me! er...well... the school photography club. I'm the co-president this year.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
beavo451 said:
IMO, frames finish a picture. It provides a clear distinction between the photos and the background. When I see unframed pictures, I sometimes get lost trying to find the edges and is distracting. So all my photos I post will have a virtual frame. How many pictures do you have hanging on your walls just bare and unframed?

Yeah, but photos in frames hanging on a wall is different from jpg exports to put in a message forum. When you print something and mount it, it is then complete. But gimmick borders on photos to put online just looks... emmm... cheesy.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
FrankieTDouglas said:
Yeah, but photos in frames hanging on a wall is different from jpg exports to put in a message forum. When you print something and mount it, it is then complete. But gimmick borders on photos to put online just looks... emmm... cheesy.

Each to his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.