The Hungarian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 13, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So after the 3 week summer holiday since the German GP, the F1 circus arrives at the Hungaroring for the Hungarian GP.

Have to admit, I usually find this the most boring and tedious of all the races during a season, the circuit is not only slow, but also devoid of overtaking places and lacks flowing corners, even the drivers describe it as a go cart circuit.

Rarely do we see an exciting race here... the only 2 that spring to mind are 1989, when Nigel Mansell qualified 12th only to work his way through the field to overtake Senna and win the race in one of, if not his greatest drive ever. And 1998 when Schumacher put on a display of 20 qualifying laps in the middle of the race, to build the necessary lead he needed to enable him to take an extra pitstop to beat the McLaren's of Häkkinen and DC.

This race has also seen a couple of changes on the grid, the first being Toyota's decision to drop De Matta, which wasn't really much of a surprise, infact the biggest surprise is that Toyota didn't drop him at the end of last season, he comes across as a nice enough chap, but he just isn't an F1 calibre driver. He has been replaced by test driver Ricardo Zonta.

The 2nd noticeable change is BMW Williams decision to drop the 'Walrus' nose, and replace it with a more conventional one. Whether this will make a big difference to their performance however, remains to be seen.

As for quali and race predictions... this is a circuit that is thought not to favour either Ferrari or Bridgestone after last years performance, there's a chance of rain for Saturday Quali and possibly the race as well (the first time in 18 years at this circuit).

So then, this is going to be a complete guess... the Renault's and McLaren's should be very strong here... so I'm going to go with.

Quali

1. Raikkonen
    2. Trulli
    3. Alonso
    4. Schu
    5. Barrichello
    6. DC

Race (dry)

1. Raikkonen
    2. Trulli
    3. Alonso
    4. Schu
    5. Barrichello
    6. DC

Race (wet)

1. Schu
    2. Barrichello
    3. Trulli
    4. Raikkonen
    5. Alonso
    6. Montoya

Watch how wrong I'll be... heheheh

Thoughts??

2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

What did I say... :eek: :p :p

Didn't expect to see Schu on pole, I really didn't! :eek: That said I did make my prediction before first practice, when I didn't know Ferrari were bang on it! Otherwise I think I'd have revised my prediction slightly! ;) 1 closer to Senna though! :D

Surprised at how poor the McLarens were... I was expecting Kimi to be challenging for pole, not for 10th place.

I also expected the Renaults to be really good here, but again their challenge hasn't really materialised, with both BAR Honda's out qualifying them.

Williams BMW haven't experienced a big leap in performance with the new nose, but it's good to see Pizzonia get one up on Montoya, same goes for Sato on Button.

As for the race, well... it's difficult to see anything other than a 1-2, if Rubens gets a good get away from the dirty side, then he's looking in good shape but he has to beat Sato to the first corner, otherwise he could be in it!

Revised race prediction.

1. Schu
    2. Barrichello
    3. Button
    4. Alonso
    5. Montoya
    6. Fisi

Qualifying results

1. Schu
    2. Barrichello
    3. Sato
    4. Button
    5. Alonso
    6. Pizzonia
    7. Montoya
    8. Fisi
    9. Trulli
    10 Raikkonen

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Damn what a boring procession... :rolleyes: even I forgot to post about it and it's my thread! :eek: :p

A couple of observations...

Well done to Schu and Ferrari for sealing the WCC! :)
    Dump Barrichello and get in Liuzzi in! ;)

As for McLaren... :rolleyes:

Next race Spa, possibly the greatest drivers circuit of the season... and it really can't come quickly enough! :D

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I was watching that race last week (was in Switzerland, saw it on Eurosport.) Schumacher was 15 seconds ahead at the end wasn't he? What a lead. The highest I saw it was 32 seconds I think, with 15 laps to go.

I have to admit though, it's getting boring watching him win every race. I also had hoped that Montoya would do better. I used to follow him when he was in CART -he really took that league by storm. I hope he does better in the future...

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hey, how did this slip past? :confused:

Anyways, that was the most boring race I have ever seen. There was no passing of non-lap traffic on the track after the first lap. 5 mechanical retirements. One driver went off the track a bit, but got back on (Klien), one driver spun, lost 20 seconds to DC, then went on his way (Webber). That was it. It was like a game of follow the ****ing leader.
    Well, here's to an interesting race next weekend :D