The Hype is Amazing... The Consumer is even more so...

Discussion in 'Games' started by GimmeSlack12, Nov 11, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't get me wrong, I love hype. I love the way it is used to get you excited about something, and I don't care for people who say "What's the big deal, it's only a video game". I am 25 years old and I still love the hype that comes with video games (or any product that are really cool). The only difference with how I react to it from when I was 15 though is that now I have a time tested amount of patience and knowing that I will eventually get to play these games and systems.

Watching the world (N. America) finally get the new console systems is gonna be great, but people just get so damn excited about these things that it is ridiculous. At the same time I understand these people waiting in line for a PS3 as I succumb to the same feelings that they do. Again the difference, I don't act on it (nor do many many other people).

MY POINT:
    It is the climax of all the hype that has been fed to us since E3 2005 and now it is all about to blow up as supplies are too low and demand is just too damn high. As reports roll in like this one:
    http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=104
    A 15 year-old was beat up by a 36 year-old over the last copy of Gears of War.
    I wonder if the Video Game Corps. should have a moral obligation to reduce hype at the expense of several acts of violence that will* follow this next weekends explosion of Launch Violence.

(*Isn't gonna be widespread, but there will most likely be reported cases)

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Cue Jack Thompson in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

what is that 15 year old buying an m-rated game without adult present?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

maybe the adult that whipped his ass was his ma ;)

5. stagecustom macrumors regular

i dunno if you realize, but they don't care. Companies want your money, i bought resident evil when i was in grade 7 by myself. Some rental places are more strict about this. but not stores, they could care less.

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Oh I know I am being fescisous ... I can't wait to hear from jack thompson though

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Jack(ass) is gonna freak out when he finds.....[cue shocking music] that you CAN KISS THE MALE LOCUST!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH HOMOSEXUALITY! EVIL! AHHH SHIELD YOUR EYES! THE DEVIL WALKS AMONG US!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

^ in reference to him spazzing out because in Bully, Jimmy can kiss another boy instead of a girl, and apparently, that makes the game worth of an M rating....ya know...cuz kissing a guy is much worse than chainsawing someone, or doing drugs :rolleyes:

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Boys can kiss boys in the Sims, too.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and I think he is tried to get that game banned.

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Oh, I see. Well, I hope not many people listen to this person, except to laugh at him.

11. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Laaaaame. That isn't the point. This thread has quickly gone off topics. Anyway I rethought about companies having a moral obligation, but now I think they couldn't control it even if they were trying. People just get excited about this stuff no matter what.

12. Malus macrumors 6502

Shouldn't that kid be in school or something....this sounds like total bs to me.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

because teens never skip school ;)

14. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

This is why i just ordered a Xbox 360. Screw camping out for a ps3 or a Wii. Whats the point? My local GameStop is getting 8 ps3's and theyre all sold on preorder, its just not worth wasting my time camping out in front of best buy when theyll maybe get 20 consoles at the most. Sure, the 360 doesnt have cool remote motion controller deals like Wii but hey it does hi def, surround sound, has a HD Dvd drive you can pay extra for (yeah ps3 has blue ray in it, but eh, when i want hd dvd ill go pay the $200 for the xbox 360 drive or ill wait till blue ray comes down to $200-300), and is overall an excellenct system. Plus I can get one NOW, all I have to do is walk in to Best Buy and theyre all just sitting there in the front, now waiting for games either, just have to grab what I want and go pay.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They can do a lot more than kiss in the Sims ;)

Oh and Gay Adoption too... quick ban the game now :D

Seriously I assume Jack is the all mouth & protests by day, and pay a rent boy by night kind of bloke :D :D Just dont tell the wife ;)

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Because of the "nudity". Even though the developers said the characters were just like dolls underneath the mosaic.

17. WillMak macrumors 6502a

a 15 year old buying video games? I thought kids his age all warez that stuff.

18. WillMak macrumors 6502a

The article said their was a lot of people at the store (the guy had to cut in line to reach the boy), why didn't any of them do anything? Another Kitty Genovese scenario?

19. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Not all consoles are warez available not to mention the game was just released.

Why is everything talking like this situation just couldn't have happened? Sound perfectly legitimate to me. Aside from the talk of gay characters and nudity in games it is the hype that I was discussing.

And who in line could have known the guy was going to attack the kid? Gimme a break.

20. WillMak macrumors 6502a

"the 36-year-old customer attempted to cut in line and when challenged swore at and repeatedly punched the 15-year-old "

The report indicates the guy continually assaulted the kid. If people reacted fast enough they could have prevented him from being hospitalized.

21. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Yea I was being sarcastic without the smileys. I can imagine this situation happening in real life. Sad, but thing similar to this happen all the time like the ibook fiasco at that one school where adults trampled over baby carriages to get cheap ibooks.

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This is why I'm bringing a bat for each hand into for the Wii launch while in Walmart.:D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If Karma exists then the guy will surely put is GoW in his 360 AND IT BLOWS HIS EYEBROWS OFF.

360 players, such violent people. :rolleyes: ;)