the "i" in all things Mac...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Natalia81, Aug 12, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

I'm just wondering...does anyone know why mac products are always "i"-something??

2. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There are many thread on this already. Next time make sure you do a search before posting. ;) :rolleyes:

It first started with the iMac, which meant internet-Mac. The 3G iMac was primarily used for get first-timers on the the internet.

As far as the iPod, iBook, etc. I have no idea, maybe Apple just though it sounded cool.

3. macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yep, it orignally meant Internet. I guess the i caught on or became associated with Apple computers, so it started getting used on more and more products.

4. macrumors 6502

After the iMac, I have always been under the impression that the i stood for I (as in me, or consumer) which seems to fit. I have just always accepted this.

I hope this helps

5. macrumors 6502a

i-series = consumer = white case design (since 2nd gen iMac & iBook)

:EDIT: and since the iPod is allso a consumer product -> White and with i (exception is the mini, but people think the i-series will evolve in that design direction when next-gen is coming out...)
    allso the iSight is an exception since they made it in Aluminium :EDIT:

e-series = education (but became part of the i-series since they sell them to anyone...) = allso white case design

Power-series = professional use wich means more powerfull processors in most of the cases, monitor stretching as an option to only mirroring in the i/e-series, more expandable, better screens on the -books compatible with Cinemadisplays... that kind of stuff... = aluminium design (or Ti for early G4 Pbooks or grey/metallic plastic for G4 desktops)

:EDIT:the old displays were white plastic indeed, but they were designed when the PowerMac desktops were plastic too... :EDIT: