The i in iLife stands for what?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GigaWire, Mar 7, 2004.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

So reading an article about an Apple designer it suddenly dawned on me, is it possible, just possible that the i in the iLife applications does not stand for interactive, intutive, I, interesting, or an other i word, but really stands for idiot? When you consider it, it really makes sense. Sort of an inside joke. What say yee, does the i in the i applications, and consumer level Macs stand for idiot?

2. beefcake macrumors 6502

3. altair macrumors regular

the 'i' in iMac stood for 'internet'. Since then i dont know if that is at all relevant, its just a marketing thing now. I mean...iPod? 'internet pod' wtf. So yeah, who knows.

Altair

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

AFAIK, the inception of Apple's use of "i" was with the initial iMac and was intended to indicate that connecting to the Internet was easy. From there, it became a branding mechanism to distinguish between consumer and professional hardware/software.

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

iWant a refund haha

only iapps I use are itunes and ical

6. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    A few years ago, in Maxim Magazine, I saw the iBrater. While I guess women could use the iBrater while browsing, I don't think this thing actually connected to the net. :rolleyes:

7. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I suppose it probably means 'integrated'. You know, digital hub and all that.

8. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

So Rower when do you suppose Apple will finally recognize the Garphics Profressionals out here and come up with either pMAC or gMAC?
    OH that would be "G"5 dual 1.25ghz Kick a** machine !!!!
    :>)

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was originally intended to sort of imply "internet" (though I don't remember Apple ever saying so specifically), although at this point I expect if forced to answer an Apple spokesperson would say either "integrated" or "I" (as in the pronoun--"centered around you").

10. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I do remember years ago reading an article in Mac World that what you just said was quoted by an Apple rep, just been so long I can't find the issue....

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I think my custom ordered Mac should be an rMac, since my name starts with "r". :p

Personally, I like the "Power" designation for pro machines.

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

lots of power is those G4s - yep
    NOT