Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Opened up the laptop and replaced the thermal paste because I have to open everything I own to see how it ticks for myself. But I recommend just leaving it alone, Apple did a pretty good job with the thermal paste, at least with my machine.

I got the same machine as you. Really curious when you re-apply the thermal paste what temperature (CPU & GPU)are you getting ?
did you check before and after temperature? and do you use external monitor ? if yes what is the gpu & cpu temp ?

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
I got the same machine as you. Really curious when you re-apply the thermal paste what temperature (CPU & GPU)are you getting ?
did you check before and after temperature? and do you use external monitor ? if yes what is the gpu & cpu temp ?
The temperatures are about the same, the CPU runs at 100c peak and the GPU peaks at 80c. I've run it with both an external monitor and without, both gave similar numbers. This is running Bootcamp and using Mac Fan Control set to start raising rpm at 41c and max speed at 60c. The issue with trying to make sense of the numbers is that there are too many variables. The biggest variable being what Apple does with the AMD R9, currently, it keeps the temps at 70c constantly and the CPU fluctuates to a peak of 100c like I said but stays around the same temps as the GPU. What are you seeing for numbers? temperatures?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The temperatures are about the same, the CPU runs at 100c peak and the GPU peaks at 80c. I've run it with both an external monitor and without, both gave similar numbers. This is running Bootcamp and using Mac Fan Control set to start raising rpm at 41c and max speed at 60c. The issue with trying to make sense of the numbers is that there are too many variables. The biggest variable being what Apple does with the AMD R9, currently, it keeps the temps at 70c constantly and the CPU fluctuates to a peak of 100c like I said but stays around the same temps as the GPU. What are you seeing for numbers? temperatures?

Wow so Apple did a great job with the thermal paste then. Cause mine is the same as yours, the GPU would peak at 70c. The fan would run full rpm, the CPU would be between 80-90c when I use handbrake.

And I'm using it with external monitor 1080p and the temperature is the same without. The CPU would be around 43-45c and the GPU would be 49-54c, and this is working with photoshop, Xcode, safari, and watching film in movist.
So yeah I'm really happy with the temperature compares to my old Late 2011 mbp where idle alone using external monitor would be 60-67c GPU and CPU would be 55c +.

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Wow so Apple did a great job with the thermal paste then. Cause mine is the same as yours, the GPU would peak at 70c. The fan would run full rpm, the CPU would be between 80-90c when I use handbrake.

And I'm using it with external monitor 1080p and the temperature is the same without. The CPU would be around 43-45c and the GPU would be 49-54c, and this is working with photoshop, Xcode, safari, and watching film in movist.
So yeah I'm really happy with the temperature compares to my old Late 2011 mbp where idle alone using external monitor would be 60-67c GPU and CPU would be 55c +.
Yes, I agree that Apple did well with the thermal paste this time around. And they have to given the 370x probably runs hotter than the 750m. Your temps look fine, I wouldn't worry about messing with the paste. I thought my numbers were looking good too but I like to void warranties, it's a problem... I also have a pretty full tube of IC Diamond so I had to do it. But I see myself opening it every 6 months to clean the fans given I play games a lot and the fans run at full speed. You can see the amount of dust starting to accumulate already and the laptop is brand new and my wife keeps the house very clean!

V/r

Reactions: Tankmaze

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
Got it all set up now. I decided to keep the optical drive, in case I want to install some legacy PC apps. I did get the Gmyle USB3 card working, and I'm getting very good transfer rates through USB3 to exterior drives. With the SSD drive in the main bay and 16GB RAM, it runs at almost the same speed as my 2012 15" rMBP. I took it to work yesterday, and boy was I glad to have the extra screen real estate!

It arrived this afternoon.Wow - what a beauty. It's in great shape. The date of manufacture is May 2012, just a few months before my 15 first-model rMPB was. The battery is at 90%, which is not bad. The screen is bright, the keys are good, and everything works. In fact, the keys on my rMBP are much more worn out from all the typing I've done in 3 years.

I installed Yosemite, then migrated from my rMBP. How sweet it is.

Of course, I'm spoiled by SSDs, so I'll have to move the 750GB 5400 RPM HDD it came with into the optical bay and get a 500GB SSD. I think I can live with 1.25 TB on the road! Upgrading the RAM to its 16GB capacity will cost about $90, so that's a given. Finally, for under than $15 I can get a Gmyle USB3
express card. I have lots of USB3 flash drives that I need with this machine. I'll probably have to tinker with drivers to get the Gmyle to work under 10.10.4, but it's an interesting challenge worthy of my time. ;-)

TheFragileOne

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
North and South Washington
Got it all set up now. I decided to keep the optical drive, in case I want to install some legacy PC apps. I did get the Gmyle USB3 card working, and I'm getting very good transfer rates through USB3 to exterior drives. With the SSD drive in the main bay and 16GB RAM, it runs at almost the same speed as my 2012 15" rMBP. I took it to work yesterday, and boy was I glad to have the extra screen real estate!

Glad you enjoy it! But how do you have more screen real estate compared to your 15" rMBP since the 2011 isn't retina? Sure with native scaling you're right you have more space but if you were to use a program like Retina Display Manager you could get more screen real estate on the 15". Granted it'll look smaller so I guess I understand.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
2015-08-14 20.41.56.png
Good one?

BuiltforSin

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
VA
I'm thinking of upgrading my mid-2009 13" MBP to an newer refurbished 15" MBP. Do any of y'all have any issues, or are y'all mostly problem free? The TrackPad and HD went out on mine, and I bought mine new-unopened.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
I personally don't get why some one needs a 1TB of hard disk and that too an expensive one. I have a Synology NAS system and I can move stuff back and forth just as easy as opening/closing the mac.

Your money, your buy. Enjoy.

Dude, not everyone is constantly at home backing up their files. Some of us are on the move and if you're dual booting OSX and W10, there are a crapton of files.

I'm on 512mb on my mid2012 and I only have 70gigs free on OSX and 50gigs free on W10. My work is all coding related so I have quite a few projects that I store locally.

Reactions: Vesuvio Cat

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Tempted to get a MacBook Pro 2015 refurbished from apple

Choosing between that end in the air...

Pro cost about £150 more though

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Dude, not everyone is constantly at home backing up their files. Some of us are on the move and if you're dual booting OSX and W10, there are a crapton of files.

I'm on 512mb on my mid2012 and I only have 70gigs free on OSX and 50gigs free on W10. My work is all coding related so I have quite a few projects that I store locally.

synology is NAS. so its connected to internet and you can access it anywhere in the world i personally have 256GB macs and 3TB Synology NAS.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
synology is NAS. so its connected to internet and you can access it anywhere in the world i personally have 256GB macs and 3TB Synology NAS.

I understand what NAS is, but unless you map your drives and drag/drop all the time(or setup a script to do it for you), it's still something that needs to be maintained.

How much is your Synology NAS? In b4 you tell me its less than $200...The enclosure w/o any drives alone is like $130.

sk8ordi3

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Add me to the list, just ordered a base 13" retina MacBook Pro refurbished $1099 (March 2015 broad well i5 2.7, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD). Yeah there's a potential redesign or silent update around the corner but I don't like the new MacBook style keyboard (if they went that route for a redesign) and it won't kill me not having the additional speed from skylake. Especially since my current computer is a white MacBook from late 2008! Its gotten me by the last 7 yrs but I need a new computer (now!) and the rmbp should be night and day performance wise!! And the price ain't bad. The ram and SSD aren't maxed obviously but a good bang for my buck, I have external drives Haha oh and I'll finally be able to edit the 1080p gopro footage I have (with sanity :) )

The only question in the back of my mind is lack of usb-c. It's still pretty new, not sure how important that port will be in the future. I just don't really see a use for it, at least for me personally, plus I wouldn't want to lose the MagSafe, it's a lifesaver!

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Add me to the list, just ordered a base 13" retina MacBook Pro refurbished $1099 (March 2015 broad well i5 2.7, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD). Yeah there's a potential redesign or silent update around the corner but I don't like the new MacBook style keyboard (if they went that route for a redesign) and it won't kill me not having the additional speed from skylake. Especially since my current computer is a white MacBook from late 2008! Its gotten me by the last 7 yrs but I need a new computer (now!) and the rmbp should be night and day performance wise!! And the price ain't bad. The ram and SSD aren't maxed obviously but a good bang for my buck, I have external drives Haha oh and I'll finally be able to edit the 1080p gopro footage I have (with sanity :) )

The only question in the back of my mind is lack of usb-c. It's still pretty new, not sure how important that port will be in the future. I just don't really see a use for it, at least for me personally, plus I wouldn't want to lose the MagSafe, it's a lifesaver!
I agree on the point you made about the keyboard! I've typed a few times on the new one and it really makes it "harder" to type long paragraphs etc. If the near future holds losing the MagSafe and switching keyboards consider my 2015 the last update I do for a lonnnngggg time. And really HOW much more could sky lake add to these machines performance?

Reactions: Lindberg

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Just got my new rmbp 2.9/512 from the Apple Store. After having a new Macbook 12" Retina for 3 months they decided to let me swap it out for a pro due the the battery and voltage issues I was having with it. Very pleased to have this beautiful machine.

interfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Managed to get a brand new/sealed 2015 13" rMBP on eBay (2.7/256GB/8GB) for AU$1285.60 (US$941), pretty excited!!

I recently purchased a refurb late 2014 Mac Mini off the Apple Store (2.8/1TB Fusion/8GB) so this will compliment it nicely. :)

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
I personally don't get why some one needs a 1TB of hard disk and that too an expensive one. I have a Synology NAS system and I can move stuff back and forth just as easy as opening/closing the mac.

Your money, your buy. Enjoy.
Agree with you on that one. I do just fine with 256 locally and a 4TB NAS.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

LDB

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Houston area
Today I got the 2015 retina MBP in the basic $1299 configuration. I'm moving over from an i3/4gb/500gb Win 8.1 Dell to the i5/8gb/128gb flash drive so I'm sure it's going to be much faster. I know the 128gb flash looks small but my current files and data that I'll be moving take up right at 1gb on the 64gb flash drive I got with it.

dingdong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Couldn't see myself waiting for Skylake any longer so decided to finally pull the trigger to purchase Macbook Pro 15' dGPU with my friend's teachers discount, hehe. Grabbed the Wireless Solo2 for additional $$ since its had much high praise.

The wireless do look nice so not sure if i should resell them for extra buck..

Attachments

• 20150825_153010.jpg
    20150825_153010.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reactions: interfreak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.