Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Do you guys think $2030 is a great deal on a MBP 15" Retina 2.5GHz Core i7 512GB 16GB RAM-MJLT2LL/A latest model? I'm debating pulling the trigger on this but don't know if the price will drop further as we get closer to the next models. Don't know if anyone has some insight on the prices of older models after newer ones came out? its brand new btw

Not seeing whether it has the dedicated graphics or not. At first I thought it did, but no indication of that on the details. Given that, it's an ok price, but you're safer just to buy from a trusted reputable source.

Last edited:

felipedelsel

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
I'm thinking about selling my MB Air 2103 for a 2015 MB Pro. I was seriously looking at the refurbished deals and wanted to know if they put new batteries on those refurbished macs.
Has someone bought any refurbished? Comments?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I'm thinking about selling my MB Air 2103 for a 2015 MB Pro. I was seriously looking at the refurbished deals and wanted to know if they put new batteries on those refurbished macs.
Has someone bought any refurbished? Comments?

All the refurb I have bought (about 5 so far) have all had batteries with zero or just a couple cycles on them. In other words... new.

I'm a huge fan of refurbished, since they come from Apple with a full like-new warrantly, they come packaged as new, and every one I've bought has been flawless inside and out.

Aside from the obvious price savings, another advantage of the refurb is that before they go on the Aople refurb store they are gone over with a fine tooth comb by an Apple tech, so the fact is they're probably much less likely to have a problem than came right off the assembly line.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Do you guys think $2030 is a great deal on a MBP 15" Retina 2.5GHz Core i7 512GB 16GB RAM-MJLT2LL/A latest model? I'm debating pulling the trigger on this but don't know if the price will drop further as we get closer to the next models. Don't know if anyone has some insight on the prices of older models after newer ones came out? its brand new btw

I think its a good deal, especially if you aren't eligible for the student discount/Beats deal.

Fanastasia

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I just bought a Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13.3" 2.7GHz Intel i5 Processor / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD / MF840LL/A (NEWEST MODEL) for $1249 from Best Buy. My previous Macbook Pro (MD102LL/A) is 13.3" 2.9GHz Intel i7 Processor / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD. I bought a new MacBook Pro because my old one will not power on and it happened after a thunderstorm and I had the computer plugged into a power-surge outlet. I didn't take it to the Apple store yet but I had previous keyboard damage from a small water spill so I had been using an USB Apple Keyboard. So I figured it would be a lot of money to get the MacBook in working order. Do you think I got a good deal on my new MacBook Pro. I'm still having buyer's remorse. I am not sure if I will keep it or not. My friend feels I didn't get the best deal. The MacBook Pro is retailing at $1499 at Best Buy and Apple Store. Best Buy had a price drop to $1399 yesterday and I used my student discount coupon for $150 equating to a total of $250 savings.

shabbadoof

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Hey guys!

just ordered my first Macbook

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display
£849.00

It's only got a 128gb hard drive but again I am OK with that as my currently lenovo which I have had for 4+ years has only for 40gb of data on it so if I end up paying more for a larger hard drive and don't use it then that's just a waste!!

It's from the Apple refurb website and i'm happy with the price and spec which I guess is what matters.

going from my existing windows10 i3 2gig of ram laptop I'm hoping it will feel a hell of a positive jump ;)

Will be able to pick it up from the store in Leeds tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: Fanastasia

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Hey guys!

£849.00

It's only got a 128gb hard drive but again I am OK with that as my currently lenovo which I have had for 4+ years has only for 40gb of data on it so if I end up paying more for a larger hard drive and don't use it then that's just a waste!!

It's from the Apple refurb website and i'm happy with the price and spec which I guess is what matters.

going from my existing windows10 i3 2gig of ram laptop I'm hoping it will feel a hell of a positive jump ;)

The biggest thing that chews up storage is photos, especially if you are backing up your iPhone to it. My phone has 128GB of storage! LOL. If you get an external drive and keep your photo library there, you should be able to survive with 128GB.

shabbadoof

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks I will remember that!

I've just got it home and I have to say the screen on this thing compared to the Lenovo is mind boggling.

I've looked at how many times the battery has been cycled as it's a refurb and the counter is on 1 so I guess that's a good thing.

Just need to learn some shortcuts now. Took me a while to even work out how to scroll up and down on a page using two fingers on the track pad lol

Reactions: fluamsler

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Thanks I will remember that!

I've just got it home and I have to say the screen on this thing compared to the Lenovo is mind boggling.

I've looked at how many times the battery has been cycled as it's a refurb and the counter is on 1 so I guess that's a good thing.

Just need to learn some shortcuts now. Took me a while to even work out how to scroll up and down on a page using two fingers on the track pad lol

Go into the Settings for Trackpad and go through every setting seeing what it does. The settings page gives you an animated visual on each setting to show how it works.

I would guess they put new batteries in reforms, but not positive.

Reactions: Fanastasia

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Hey guys!

£849.00

not sure if its worth it to you or not, but a brand new one can be had for $999. https://9to5toys.com/2016/08/11/retina-13-inch-macbook-pro-ebay-best-buy-deals/

XenoXelloss

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
NYC
Hi guys, I'm way behind and sell using a pre-unibody 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It's been a long time coming but I'm in need of an upgrade. I've been looking at the 2013/2014 models as an affordable upgrade. I want to know what is a good price for a maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro 15".

Thanks

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Am I right in thinking that you can purchase Applecare direct from Apple regardless of where you buy the Macbook Pro?

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Am I right in thinking that you can purchase Applecare direct from Apple regardless of where you buy the Macbook Pro?
I believe so, they might make you take the computer to an Apple Store to be looked at and make sure it's not damaged prior to letting you add AppleCare.

Reactions: GZR

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Yes. All you need is the serial number. Unlike iPhones and iPads, Mac Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage (I highly recommend a separate accidental damage insurance) thus there is no need for Apple to see the device. Both times the Apple employees were to simply look at my Apple ID and find the serial number of the device.

Reactions: GZR and Fanastasia

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Thank you for the replies above.

I'm currently weighing up whether to buy a 13" Retina Pro at 20% off from a reseller (offer ends 18th August) or wait for the new Pros. Knowing that I can buy Applecare regardless of where I buy the laptop gives me extra peace of mind.

Fanastasia

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Thank you for the replies above.

I'm currently weighing up whether to buy a 13" Retina Pro at 20% off from a reseller (offer ends 18th August) or wait for the new Pros. Knowing that I can buy Applecare regardless of where I buy the laptop gives me extra peace of mind.
Where are you buying from? Is it brand new? Which model of 13" Retina MBP are you thinking of buying? I just bought a 13.3" Retina MacBook Pro 256GB brand new from Best Buy for $1249 plus tax. I wondering if I got a deal since that model suggested retail price is $1499. I posted this question in this thread but no one replied to my post. I'm having buyer's remorse so I wanted to know for sure that I am getting my money's worth.

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Where are you buying from? Is it brand new? Which model of 13" Retina MBP are you thinking of buying? I just bought a 13.3" Retina MacBook Pro 256GB brand new from Best Buy for $1249 plus tax. I wondering if I got a deal since that model suggested retail price is $1499. I posted this question in this thread but no one replied to my post. I'm having buyer's remorse so I wanted to know for sure that I am getting my money's worth.
Brand new, I would be going for the same model, from http://www.very.co.uk/e/promo/apple-mac-credit-account.end

I'm in the UK so this wouldn't be useful to you.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't say it's a phenomenal deal, but it's probably the best you'll find from a reputable seller at this point in time. Even the Apple refurbished one is $1,269. Next best price I see for one in new condition is from B&H at $1,449. Best Buy is showing the regular price of $1,499 for me. I'm actually surprised you were able to get it for $1,249. Did they have a sale at the time? If it's the computer you want, I would say keep it.

shabbadoof

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Brand new, I would be going for the same model, from http://www.very.co.uk/e/promo/apple-mac-credit-account.end

I'm in the UK so this wouldn't be useful to you.

I saw that offer on HUKD the other day

As someone who has just bought the exact same model for MORE money I would say go for it!

This is my first Mac and I can't believe how easily I have transitioned over from Windows. I think it's an amazing piece of kit even for the price I paid for it ;)

Reactions: GZR

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland

I made this post a couple days ago and think the deal is expired, but there was a cheaper new 13" last week https://9to5toys.com/2016/08/11/retina-13-inch-macbook-pro-ebay-best-buy-deals/

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Sold my iMac the other day due to lack of use and was originally going to use my 11" Air as a primary computer for awhile. Best Buy had the 13" rMBP on sale for $1149 and with my student discount coupon I picked one up for $999. Including tax the computer cost me $1069. Not a bad deal for a $1300 computer.

This is my 3rd rMBP so I'm thinking this one is going to stick around unless the one coming out later this year is so amazing I will have to have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.