The I love my iBook thread

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by carve, Mar 19, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

carve

Hi you all ibook owners i'm a new switcher to mac ( even though I use macs all the time) I just set this thread up to see how many iBook user's are out there. In this thread we can talk about rumorded intel iBooks, problems with them, Software, and pretty much everything about iBooks you can think of.

Your fellow iBook user:)

2. macrumors newbie

I've also loved my ibook, when it was working.
    The reed switch cable on my ibook G3 busted three times in the three years I owned it. So I got the G4 model a little over a year ago, and this month, just after the warranty expired, logic board went out.
    It's a nice looking computer and it's fun to use. But from my experience these ibooks have been really unreliable, only working for about a year before the next expensive repair.
    Anybody out there have a similar experience?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

oooh that's gotta hurt!

4. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

im waiting for the Intel iBooks to come out. I cant wait!

As for the iBooks being unreliable, my uncle had one, and the logic board died. He got it replaced, then died again. hes in the process of getting a whole new machine now. My cousin has the G3 one, and has had it for ages without a problem. My mum has a toshiba POS and its logic board has died 3 times. On the third, they finally decided to replace it with another POS. At least this POS is doing what windows users call "running"

Conclusion: If a motherboard dies, on any computer, especially laptops, back everything up, and treat it with care. iBooks are probably the most sturdy laptop on the market. Love em!

5. macrumors 68040

California

I take it you had a 1ghz 12" or a 1.2 14" iBook that died? what did you do with the machine?

Tough luck but wow, Applecare is so worth it.

I loved my iBooks and I had a 1ghz, 12", a 1.2ghz 14" a 1.33ghz 14" and a 1.2ghz and 1.33 12" and a 1.42ghz 14". I'd like to get another 1.42ghz 14" next time around. Never had the 800mhz G4 12" or the 1ghz 14", they seemed too rev A.

6. macrumors 6502

bought my first mac last summer. The 1.33ghz 12" ibook. And oh yeah i love it. It's the most reliable, convenient, sturdy, beautiful machine i have ever owned.

7. macrumors 604

zap2

i love my iBook! however i like the my iMac G5 more, as i have had it longer:)

But its likely i will have my iBook for ever, even if its just for a ''quick" laptop when it becomes old:)

8. macrumors 603

iSaint

I bought my G4 iBook, my first Apple computer, in August of 2004. I have had no problems with it at all. I love it! After years of messing with a Compaq desktop (messing = reinstsall OS every week or so, computer wouldn't turn on half the time), I made the switch along with a friend. I couldn't be happier.

Unless, it had higher resolution screen capabilities. :p :D

My name is iSaint, and I Love My iBook!

9. macrumors newbie

California:
    The ibook is a G4 800, a 12-incher. Right now I'm not sure what to do with it really. The repair will cost about as much the computer did a year ago. Buying a new laptop is a possibility, but it most likely won't be an apple this time. The OS is great but the hardware failures have really busted my wallet. As a poor grad student, I simply need something that will work.
    My hope is that apple decides to extend the logic board replacement program to fix this problem on the G4 models. I've seen many similar posts on mac forums from other G4 ibook users with this same problem.

10. macrumors 68040

California

Yeah, it's a rev A iBook.

I guess if I were you I'd look at is as a way to upgrade and drop in a 1ghz logic board. Any faster boards will not fit in your iBook.

11. macrumors 65816

rye9

Ive got the same one and its my first Mac... I must say it's making a great first impression. :)

12. macrumors 6502a

I love my iBook, too. Got it a couple of days after last summer's revision. I always heard that once I got it it would eventually replace my PC desktop but I never really imagined it would. Now, a few months later, my PC has been degraded to a torrent/media box while I use my iBook for all of my other computing needs. Best purchase ever.

I take her to school and when I'm at home I set her on her iCurve beside my PC's LCD. In a couple of weeks I'll have another LCD just for her. :D

13. macrumors member

I <3 my iBook!

Ditto! I got mine in December and so far I can't stop talking about how much I love it. When I replace my desktop in a couple years I'd love to get the iMac! For now my 12 Inch iBook is my baby and I love the Mac OS as well! The whole switch could not have gone better up to this point!

14. macrumors G4

Chundles

This little baby's been nearly all the way around the world and it still keeps on trucking. It's such a little trooper.

15. macrumors 68020

YS2003

I also like my iBook (which I bought around last Sept). Even though I like my PBs more than my iBook, I feel I can use my iBook with more "care-free" fashion than I do with my PBs. It costs less than a PB and its exterior is made of durable plastic, which makes me more focus on using this little machine than caring too much about it. With its RAM maxed out, it can handle CS2 jobs/files quite nicely (but, I admit I prefer working on CS2 file with my PBs with ACDs for better viewing). On the contrary, my PBs are almost always on my computer desk hooked up with ACDs, as I don't want to take them out with me (as they are too nice to take it outside, in my opinion).

16. macrumors 603

SkyBell

I love grave digging. :D

I do love my 800 MHz iBook G3 a lot. It's so thin and sleek, and it run's 10.4 great.

It will eventually be replaced by a MacBook (In about 10 years) but I'm loving it to the max now. :)

17. macrumors member

danielhayter

I have had my iBook for a year and a half and love it. I upgraded the RAM to 768mb a year ago and am considering upgrading RAM to 1gb or even 1.5gb but not sure that I need that much RAM for the every tasks I use my iBook for. I will keep this iBook at least until Leopard comes out at which points I may consider getting a new Mac laptop. But for the time being I love the iBook portablitity, battery life, quietness (fan only comes on when watching movies for a long time), and the surprising speed of a G4 1.33ghz processor - it boots up and runs the basic programmes I use (iTunes, iPhoto, Safari) at impressive speed.

18. macrumors newbie

My Ibook

Hi, I happened on this website on accident, but now that I'm here, I have some questions from anyone that is technically savvy. I bought my Ibook in dec. of 2005. It was great, but of course, as soon as my warranty expired, so did my ibook. I seem to notice that some of you have had zero problems, but those of you that have seem to continue to have problems. My ibook is at the doctor probably getting a new logic board.
    Do you think that I can look forward to many more expensive repairs? Is it just luck of the draw? Do some people have the misfortune of getting a problem machine and continue to have problems with it?

I am just worried that I will have future problems when I get my Ibook back.

Thanx

19. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Generally, in comparison to other Apple notebooks over the past 6-8 years, the iBook G4 seems pretty low failure rate, although it's worth noting that at most, the oldest iBook G4s out there are only four years old (mine is 3-years, 7-months :eek: And works like a champion). There are logic board failures, but they seem to occur at a vastly lower rate than on the iBook G3. That seems to be the primary issue, although every computer seems to have a primary failure mode (with the iBook G3s, there were far more frequent logic board failures; with the PB 15" and 17" it was failures of the memory slots, etc).

But with any computer, there are "lemons" -- for instance, it could be that the power supply or the cable harnesses or whatever else causes power surges that keep killing the motherboard (but you keep replacing the motherboard, and it keeps dying). Etc. I don't think it's anything particularly unique to Apple or to iBooks.

20. macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Probably just a fluke, and you'll likely get a better board back in the repair with better reliability. If it was a G3 (which I assume not because of the DOP) then you could have more problems regarding video cards and reed switches. But if it's a G4, you shouldn't have many more problems at all.

21. macrumors member

Now this sounds interesting....I hear they may have some problems that they will try to work out by revision 4.

22. macrumors newbie

Thumbs up for the iBook... bought a 12" 1.2ghz G4 in March '05 and that was the beginning of our total household "switch" from PCs to Macs. (next came an Intel iMac for family use and then a Mac Book Pro to replace my Dell workstation) The iBook still has a happy and much-used place in our home as couch-surfing machine. :) It's been solid so far, with fantastic battery life to boot!

23. macrumors newbie

iBook or Powerbook

We are contemplating buying either a refurbished ibook or powerbook and would like some feedback as to which one is the best to buy. We have had macs and only macs for the past twenty years, but never a laptop. It will mainly be used for the internet, email and watching DVDs. Just something to take along with us when we travel. Would appreciate any feedback!

24. macrumors regular

Depends on what ibook/powerbook you're going to get, if its the last revision ibook i'd probably recomend that over a powerbook as its got the polycarbonate casing whcih means when you're traveling it'll take bumps and knocks alot more happier than the aluminum case of a powerbook. of course you are limited to a 12 or 14" screen that is not widescreen so if its mainly for dvds, and you'll be watching them on the laptop a 15" powerbook mgith be the answer.

Either way they're still very robust machines, I still use my iBook quite often.

25. macrumors newbie

thanks for that reply...have you ever dealt with Wegener Media?