the "i" prefix: how far is too far?

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by sahnert, Feb 16, 2004.

1. sahnert macrumors 6502

any speculation on how much farther Apple (and others) can go with the iProducts? I was under the impression that the i originally stood for internet with the iMac supposedly making it simple for anyone to get connected. Now the ubiquitous "i" has been hijacked by innumerable third-party software and hardware developers and has been a pretty successfull marketing scheme. Any thoughts on the futre of the "i"?

2. encro macrumors 6502

encro

I hope it is coming to an end because I'm sick of it. No thought for the future.

3. winwintoo macrumors 6502

They've used "e" to death too, what's next "a", "o", "u"

Then we could start over with consonants......

m

Seems like not a bad way of grouping related consumer products. We could have "k" for kitchen, "b" for bedroom, hmm what about bathroom then.

4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Maybe GarageBand is a sign that they're finally starting to let it go? I don't think Apple overuses it, but there is a problem with uncreative third-parties. Monster iCarPlay? Come on...

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the i started out with the imac to signify an "internet" mac or a mac built for the interent. it quickly developed into apple's name for a consumer app, but I think apple realizes that some applications just sound better without it. I don't garageband is a good example, because it is a program of its own. it really isnt a scaled down version of soundtrack or logic, but basically a gap to fill that programs like abelton live filled. i think we will continue to see "i", expecially with the sucess with the ipod. as for the "e", i dont think that will be a habit, apple just used "e" just because flat panel imac became a new type of computer, rather than a replacement for the imac. they chose "e" just because it stood for educational mac and came out for the eduacation market first.

iJon

6. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    pBook? surf while you...

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And then there's the XServe, XGrid....

'i' might be on the way out, but I don't think the single letter prefix is going to go out of stile any time soon.

D

8. Apple //e macrumors 6502

iThinkItsGoneTooFarAlready

but how many years of MacProducts did we have?

9. winwintoo macrumors 6502

pBook - that's good!

When we run out of letters, we could revert to the other characters - dot has already been done, slash is overused. Splat would be a good one - *book - that has a nice tinkle to it :D

Caret would denote a better quality - the possibilities are endless.

m

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's when you move into two letters, "be" for bedroom, "ba" for bathroom (or would it be more appropriate to use "bm" for bathroom? :D )

I think they have indeed worn out the "i" prefix. Why wasn't Safari called "iBrowse", anyway? They'll start to phase it out eventually. At least software side. But imagine changing iPod or iMac. There's no way, there's too much consumer recognition there.

11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I'm tried of the 'i' and the 'e' naming convention also. Sheesh enough already.

12. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

much too far, iHate all of those little vowels.

uArse
    oBugger
    iStink
    aBomb
    eAtMyShorts
    etc
    :)

13. parenthesis macrumors member

AT&T already has/had 'm' covered. Remember mLife?

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I like the clever uses, but the bland ones (usually by third parties) have gotten old. That being sais, anyone loose their password on Apple.com and had to click "iForgot my Password"... I laughed over that one for hours.

TEG

15. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Because iBrowse was already used by a browser on the Amiga platform about 10 years ago.

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, I think GarageBand would have better been named iRock! Or maybe i****ingRock?

17. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

18. phonemonkey macrumors regular

more letters

I myself think there could be some interesting variations with the letter f. Lots of possibilities, cover your ears.

19. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I agree with Teg. Apple's use of the i prefix is acceptable, but the 3rd parties have killed it. Apple takes the heat because they have a strong association with iStuff. The average person thinks Apple is iCrazy and has 400 iProducts when they really have closer to 10.

I think Apple is moving away from the iThing. When you innovate you get copied, and then it's time to move onto something else.

20. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Agreed! When my textbook for my genetics class last year turned out to be called iGenetics, I went nuts. iGenetics!?!?!?!?! :confused:

21. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

answer?

"I" don't know! :D

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

i dont mind the "i" prefix, but MY MAJOR PET PEEVE IS PEOPLE WHO CANT FREAKIN CAPITALIZE THEM PROPERLY.
    I have seen "Ibook" and "IBook" and "IBOOK" etc. waaaayyyyyy tooooo many times. Why cant people spell the way they're spelled..."iBook".

23. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Not tryIng to start a fIght here, but my pet pet peeve has been people who demand that other people capItalIze the i's correctly. i have a hard enough time with English and Spanish, i am not goIng to study one company's language of registered trademarks. :p

24. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

iHate these things as well. iT really is annoying. iThought it was leaving for a while until iSight came out. iHope they stop soon. iT's crap.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

rofl!

I like the "i" prefix, as long as it's not overdone. ipod, imac, ibook, and the iapps... these are great and should not change. What I don't like are the third party things like "irock" and things like that.