The iBook problems continue... battery

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Jan 8, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Okay, as many who frequent this forum know, I have an iBook 500Mhz, a truly great computer, that has had a few problems. So far I've had monitor, Airport, trackpad, and software problems. Now a new one arises: the battery. It's 15 months old, and it's just not holding a charge anymore. With minimum backlighting and all the energy saver options on (slow proc speed, the HD spin down options on), and the AirPort card off, it loses 1% of charge in about 40-70 seconds... or so it seems. I say that because, one it hits 0%, instead of going to sleep, it stays at 0% for a half hour or more. I think the power manager may be corrupt but I don't remember in the least how to reset it. If anyone can help, thanks.

2. MasterX (OSiX) macrumors 6502

Same problem as me. 500Mhz iBook and same symptoms. Myne would die at 60% though. I did a recondition (not really used for the new batteries, but i was desperate) and it monitored correctly, but then it was so quick i could actually see the bar go down. I reset the power manager (small button next to yur I/O panel) and that did jack. You need a new battery, it sucks a LOT i know, but getting 5 hours again is amazing.

Also i'd like to note i had it plugged in almost always, I have a PowerMac and don't get to use the iBook as much as i'd like.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Try discharging the Battery overnight and then remove the Battery and leave the battery out for 3 minutes and replace the battery and turn on the iBook and reset the Pram.

4. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye