the iBook revision..... informed thoughts?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by d.f, Jan 11, 2006.

1. d.f
    macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2003
    now we know what a top of the line laptop in the new era of Apple looks like, what do we expect realistically for the iBook revision..?

it seems likely it will be just a single core yonah.... what does that mean compared to a g4 / g5..?

i hope that if we just get a single core, they really can push the engineering even further than the MacBook and give us really thin (see new Sony's) portable, long lasting laptops.
  2. macrumors 601

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    I wouldn't be so sure an Intel iBook will be single-core. If they wait a while, they could put the ones they're currently using in the MacBook Pro into the new iBook, as faster models would be available for the MacBook Pro then. Eventually I think you'll see MacBook Pros running on dual-core Meroms and iBooks running on dual-core Yonahs. For one thing, look at the new iMac running dual-core Yonahs. It's supposed to be pretty much in line with the iBook, so I think if the iMac is running dual-core portable chips, so will the iBook. Then again, it's possible Apple will release a transition iBook update with a Core Solo Yonah until the rest gets straightened out. I think probably the only machine that won't initially get a dual-core chip is the Mini. Either a Core Solo or a Pentium M is likely for that, I think.
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
  4. d.f
    thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2003
    i hope you are right....