the iBook revision..... informed thoughts?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by d.f, Jan 11, 2006.

1. d.f
    macrumors regular

now we know what a top of the line laptop in the new era of Apple looks like, what do we expect realistically for the iBook revision..?

it seems likely it will be just a single core yonah.... what does that mean compared to a g4 / g5..?

i hope that if we just get a single core, they really can push the engineering even further than the MacBook and give us really thin (see new Sony's) portable, long lasting laptops.

2. macrumors 601

HiRez

I wouldn't be so sure an Intel iBook will be single-core. If they wait a while, they could put the ones they're currently using in the MacBook Pro into the new iBook, as faster models would be available for the MacBook Pro then. Eventually I think you'll see MacBook Pros running on dual-core Meroms and iBooks running on dual-core Yonahs. For one thing, look at the new iMac running dual-core Yonahs. It's supposed to be pretty much in line with the iBook, so I think if the iMac is running dual-core portable chips, so will the iBook. Then again, it's possible Apple will release a transition iBook update with a Core Solo Yonah until the rest gets straightened out. I think probably the only machine that won't initially get a dual-core chip is the Mini. Either a Core Solo or a Pentium M is likely for that, I think.

3. macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

4. d.f
    thread starter macrumors regular

i hope you are right....