The iDrive!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolocity, Jun 26, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

Ok, I know that there are already portable firewire hard drives, but I think they could really sell a lot of the things if they marketed them differently. They could make it so similar to the iPod, maybe a little less expensive. Ah, maybe this is a horrible idea, but I really think it would take off if marketed correctly. What do you guys think?:confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't really see it I'm affraid, if people want a firewire HDD then they can buy 3rd party model and the 3rd party ones would probably be cheaper then an apple produced model, and so then no one would buy it, they'd go for the 3rd party models.

I think apple need to concentrate on developing what they have a little more...I want my 1Ghz TiBook with DDR and SuperDrive! :D

3. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Yes yes, but I'm just saying they would sell. Everyone bought the iPod because it was simple, or 'cute' as some people might say. A lot of people would rather buy something by apple simply because it isn't 3rd party, and not because of price. I'd buy one.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Actually I think people bought the iPod because it is the best MP3 jukebox out there, not just because it's apple.
    The ease of use, style, build quality and navigation system is what made people buy the iPod.
    But there is nothing you can do to a firewire HDD, they're all the same, just and HDD in a case connected to the machine by a firewire cable, what could apple do different to this design that others allready don't make? Other than slap on an apple logo and then charge over the odds for it.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF Apple would package them thinner then the other makers, and make the case out of Titanium, I would purchase one. I would rather get an empty case like that and put my own drive into it though. Since I have the 60GB IBM drive that I am holding off getting an enclosure for. At this point I might as well wait until just after MWNY. With it being this close, it's possible that some new empty drive enclosures will be coming out (for the 2.5" drives).

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

But if you start calling it the 'iWalk' or something cheesy like that, I will have to get into my iTruck and hunt you down. Then shoot you with my iGun until there is nothing left but a twitching smear. :D

8. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

hehe

I like iDrive, but i-drive is the name of a lot of network drives on college campuses. No idea if it's a trademark or not. I must admit iWalk is pretty cheep, any other name suggestions?

9. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Re: hehe

Don't you mean iSmear? :D

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: hehe

iKillyoudead...

I'm sure that IF Apple was to make it, they would come up with a better name then 'iDrive'... I mean, most of us over here drive.. :p iHardDrive could be just as bad... since people could shorten it to 'iHard'. :D More of a statement then a device. ;)

iStorage would be better...

11. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe if we get iLucky an iMod will iNuke this post, and we won't have to listen to ourselves objess over iWords. Wee!

- iJohn

12. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Getting back on topic.

Yeah, getting back on topic now - I think that most everyone would like a sleek little 20 or 40 gig HD they could put in their pocket. Carying a HD sure is a lot easier than bringing your iMac around, for those of us (me) who don't have an iBook :mad: Not sure how much something like this would cost, especially if Apple made it.

- John

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

that was ismooth my friend.

:D

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF I need to bring files, that won't fit onto a cd (via either the combo drive inside my TiBook or external burner), I put them onto my 30GB VST (thin) drive. All I need is a firewire cable and I am good to go.

Then again, I prefer to take my TiBook with me, so that I can watch movies and such if the people I visit are about as exciting as some of the threads here :D :p :eek: I use headphones so that I can really zone them out too.

15. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

not fair!

I want a TiBook.. maybe I don't need that new iMac afterall. ;)