The iMac is getting Conroe.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macgeek2005, Jun 12, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I just thought i'd let all of you guys know, in case anyone was considering buying one.

Don't Buy Before August. The iMacs are getting Conroe. They'll be up to 2.66Ghz!! That is a massive speed bump.

Steve Jobs is gonna come out there and say "Well, we've decided to double the speed AGAIN".

I know this because of my uncle.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Page 1.

3. dylan macrumors 6502

Haha definitely.

How does your uncle know this?

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

His uncle is Steve Jobs. I thought that was obvious ;)

5. iGary Guest

iGary

You just want to see me run naked across my parking lot. :rolleyes:

6. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

How does your uncle know this and if this is true then apple would need to put a whole new logic board into the Imac's.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stop teasing the Mac less waiting for a new iMac to come out. Secondly, why redesign the logic board when you can just drop Merom in? Mac withdrawl sucks... *groan* :(

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wanna see it on Youtube, babe. ;) Hehehe, wait, so anyway, even if they do get Conroe 2.66, is that really twice as fast as what they have now?

9. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

...were u the same guy who said the iPod Videos would be released on some Friday a few weeks ago...??? :confused:

10. stefan15 macrumors regular

Well either they put Conroe in (which is supposedly a fairly simple process, and some users have already managed to fit an iMac with a Core 2 Duo), or they reduce iMac prices--specifically since Core Duo will see a significant price drop (along with current Pentium line).

And AFAIK, I haven't been following Apple THAT long but I don't think they ever reduce their prices on a specific model, do they?

11. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Thats right the imac is definetly getting the Memrom no question... 2.66/2 =1.33....? Am I missing something...

12. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yeah...how is it double???

13. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Apparantly not long enough the Conroe is not the Core 2 Duo the Conroe is the Dual Core Pentium M, the Memrom is the Core 2 Duo.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Gentleman Behold!

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

15. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Uggh I'm still frustrated by your post, also the CORE 2 DUO isnt out yet so no one dropped this chip into their Imac, dont act correct when wrong.

16. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Huh? Both Conroe and Merom fall under the Core 2 Duo. See Eidorian's super-duper guide for more info on Merom or here for Conroe http://guides.macrumors.com/Conroe

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There are prototype and engineering samples floating around.

Which I linked above. :D

Here it is again.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

18. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Ok... 20% at the same clocks... Also how many apps do you know that support 64bit other then the OS, not that big of a benfit. Also the 800 MHZ FSB only applies to the second gen of Core 2 Duo's coming out in Jan next year, the first realeased ones will onle be 667 like their predessor.

19. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Maybe their is but no one "dropped one into their imac".

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If they release 17"/2.0 GHz and 20"/2.16 GHz iMacs soon I'm just going to buy one outright. I'd love Merom and 64-bit but I'm macless. I just sold my iMac G5 for $950 so I wanted the money for an Intel one. But good Lord it sucks being without a Mac. *dies*

Ah, it was a 1.83 to 2.16 GHz Yonah drop in from Japan for the iMac. The Core 2 Duo (Merom) was done for the Mac mini.

21. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Just the conroe can't be put into the Core slot is the only argument that I was trying to make here and that this is not a 2x speed increase even if it was put into the imac. Secondly the 800 mhz FSB isnt due till Jan then speeds may act like 2x faster.

22. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

In theory it should be possible. But the stupid design of the newer iMacs means you can't open it without taking the screen out.

Hmm... let me guess. You miss Macs.

23. stefan15 macrumors regular

Anyone know what chipset is in the iMac? Conroe, at least when it comes to desktop, requires Intel's bleeding edge as a minimum--which at this moment--is 975X. I have a 955X, so I won't be able to upgrade my CPU to Conroe. But had I got the next model up of motherboard (Asus P5WD2 vs Asus P5WD2-E) I would be able to "drop in" Conroe after a BIOS update.

Oh.. and this comment was unbelievably ignorant.
    Some of the users on this board have provided a huge amount of information (see the wiki's above).

24. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

It would make sense that the imacs would get conroe. They are desktops after all... I'm sure they could handle the heat, and so what if they have to put new motherboards in them. The imacs should have the best processors out there. The mac mini will probably have to take the Merom, but I would say its very possible for the conroe to go in the iMac.

This has nothing to do with iGary.

25. milo macrumors 604

How exactly do you figure 2.66 conroe is double the speed of 2.0 core duo????