The iMac that couldn't.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Absolute Zero, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Absolute Zero macrumors newbie

I've asked everywhere. EVERYWHERE. No one can come up with an answer. Its a HUGE mystery. I wish Sherlock Holms was still alive...
    But anyway, I have an iMac SE DV 400 that don't like OS X too much...
    In September 2001, I fell for a deal I'll never regret. OS X 10.1 was out, but I still went with 10.0, because it came with a t-shirt. That was like, ultimate coolness. But, on with the issue.
    I loaded it onto my iMac. Wouldn't connect to AOL, but thats cool, I'll just get OS X 10.1... er... thats another $130... so no.
    Now, I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden, OS X wouldn't load. The screen freezez gray and don't start up. It only starts up in a safe boot.
    Same with 10.2, and 10.3, however 10.3 was installed via FireWire Target Disk Mode, because my internal CD drive died. But thats another story.
    YES, I installed the Firmware update.
    When I get my CD drive which is soon, I will try to install Panther, but I doubt it will work if Jaguar didn't.

Thanks for your help.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

do you have at least 128MB RAM?

3. TheT macrumors 6502

At least I can answer this question, cause I have the same iMac: yes, it came shipped with 128megs.
    To the main question: does your mac do anything besides showing just a grey screen? Some strange chime? Harddisk activity?

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

You should upgrade from 128. Its just the bare minimum. Anyways did you know that 10.1 was a free upgrade?

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

10.0 is not an acceptable OS these days. OS 8 is better equipped.

6. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Now, I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden, OS X wouldn't load. The screen freezez gray and don't start up. It only starts up in a safe boot.
    Same with 10.2, and 10.3, however 10.3 was installed via FireWire Target Disk Mode, because my internal CD drive died.

Does it recognise your hard drive? That is, you're not getting that flashing question mark along with that evil grey screen are you? I had a similiar problem on my iMac, especially running OS 9.2 with OS 10.2. To get around the problem, I had to reinstall OS X, selecting to archive my stuff. Still a pain though. If you're running OS 9.2, see if you can find an OS 9.1 disk. I found that much more stable. But then again, this may not be your problem at all. If you can back up your files then reformat, you might be ok. It's always worked for me whenever I got into trouble.

Matt