the iMac's audio ports?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by elbruelsio, Mar 24, 2007.

1. elbruelsio macrumors member

Stupid question.

So I brought home a new Mac for the first time, a 20" iMac. I went to connect my existing computer speakers to the audio out jack and i notice it that the plug doesn't go in all the way. Apple lists the jack as a minijack. My understanding is that a minijack is 3.5mm and a submini jack is a 2.5. Am I wrong? The jack for my speakers is 3.5mm. Do I need an adapter to go to 2.5mm?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it should be a minijack and it should be 3.5mm. Is it playing the sound normally (stereo)? :)

3. G-Force macrumors 6502a

Same happens here, it has to do with the SPDIF 'switch' I think. Speakers are working great though so I don't really care about it. :)

4. elbruelsio thread starter macrumors member

It is playing in stereo and the quality is good except for a slight bit of white noise coming through the speakers. Its very faint so I can probably ignore it, if I force myself to. :)

Thanks

5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

That white noise is the Mighty Mouse interfering with an undershielded cable - unplug the mouse or go wireless and the quality should be pristine.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What? Can you back that up with something? Most noise comes from the speaker wires and other interference...

7. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Yeah - if you have an iMac, unplug the mouse. Simple. It's really quite remarkable...