"The Incredibles" Opens In First, Makes $70.7 Million

Discussion in 'Community' started by RBMaraman, Nov 7, 2004.

1. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Computer animated movie superheroes "The Incredibles" topped domestic box office charts over the weekend, raking in $70.7 million in ticket sales, according to studio estimates issued Sunday.

Reigning champion and haunted-house thriller "The Grudge" dropped to No. 3 at $13.5 million, while "Ray", starring Jamie Foxx in the role as the late "Genius of Soul" Ray Charles, maintained its hold on the No. 2 slot with $13.8 million.

Low-budget thriller "Saw" fell from third to fourth with $11.4 million, and debuting "Alfie", a remake of the 1966 film of the same name, took the No. 5 position with $6.5 million at box offices in the United States and Canada.

"Incredibles" is the sixth release from Pixar Animation Studios Inc. and The Walt Disney Co.. The pair have enjoyed huge successes with their computer animated movies going back to 1995's original "Toy Story", and "Incredibles" is started in the same direction.

The most recent Pixar/Disney film was 2003's "Finding Nemo", and it debuted in May to a three-day weekend total of $70.3 million, according to figures from box office tracking service Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc.

Wall Street investors had been anxiously anticipating a strong opening weekend, and had pushed Pixar's stock price to a record high of $84.94 in Nasdaq trading on Friday.

Among other movies, the Jennifer Lopez-Richard Gere romance "Shall We Dance?" fell to the No. 6 position with $5.7 million, followed by another computer animated movie, "Shark Tale", in the seventh spot with $4.6 million.

The cumulative box office for "Shark Tale" now stands at $154.1 million, which should please investors in the newly public company DreamWorks Animation.

Finishing the top 10 in order were football film "Friday Night Lights" with $3 million, firefighter saga "Ladder 49" with $2.6 million, and puppet comedy "Team America: World Police" at $1.9 million.

While "The Incredibles" opened strong, it was not enough to boost the total weekend box office above last year. Overall sales for the top 12 films slipped 5 percent to $136.1 million from $143.7 million last year when the No. 1 film was "The Matrix: Revolutions", according to Exhibitor Relations.

"The Grudge" was distributed by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp. "Ray" and "Friday Night Lights" were released by Universal Pictures, a division of General Electric Co. "Saw" was released by Lions Gate Films, a unit of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.. "Alfie" and "Team America: World Police" were released by Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc. "Shall We Dance?" was released by Miramax Films, and "Ladder 49" by Touchstone Pictures, both units of Walt Disney Co.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/07/box.office.reut/index.html

2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but it looks promising just like all other pixar movies.

I am sure that having the Star Wars Episode 3 trailer tied to it also helped.

Mike

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
  4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Woo hoo!!

Saw it with my daughter last night. Very fun. Great stylizations and characters. Backing off on the literal character realism serves the movie well. Happy at the end that John Ratzenberger continued his streak.

Shrek 2 was a hack-job in comparison. Funny, but a hack-job.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There really wasn't much to Shrek 2 that wasn't in the original Shrek in terms of storyline....very sad. But they got it to market and made a bundle, so I'm thinking they're happy.

Really looking forward to seeing the Incredibles, hopefully soon...

D

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Ugh... Producers of "The Apprentice", "Fear Factor", "Matrix: Reloaded", "Big Macs", "Coca Cola", "Brittany Spears", et al are all happy because we live in a society that consumes for consumption sake, whether it's a hot turd or not. Shrek 2 was a contemporary pop-reference, spoofed product placement, marketer's wet-dream, with little story to hold it together... but... I laughed at it in spite of myself.. I mean, Puss-in-Boots was funny...

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have to agree, I didn't want to like either Shrek movie, but found myself laughing out loud in places (usually at things my wife didn't get).

I'm sure the Incredibles will be terrific.

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Oh yeah dude...you've GOT to see it.

9. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

I can't wait

But I hear that HALO 2 will make the $70 million figure look less impressive....

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yeah I heard that too. GTA SA took £24m in this country over the weekend of it's release (which is $40m .. and not bad for a little island!) .... It looks as though after all these years technology is finally coming up trumps and is a mainstream culture in it's own rights.

Nice.

11. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I went to see it on Sunday night, and wow, was it a good movie.
    It's the best movie I've gone to in a long while and I'm definately going to see it again :D

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh, I know it - I just have to wait for the wife to find time to go with me...I'd have already seen it a couple times if I could :D

Most likely we'll see it over Thanksgiving.

D

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Managed to go see it last night - wow, amazing film - gets my vote for the best Pixar yet - much more adult as well. The whole scope of the movie was huge and the island scenes were breathtaking. I'm going to have to go see it again and I can't wait to get it on DVD....:D

D

14. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

And Halo 2 Made $125 million the first day. So much money floating around the world.

15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I saw it this weekend :D I thought it was awesome. The hair was stunning, and I couldn't believe how "action-packed" it was. It just kept going! Love the music too, Giacchino is great, I'd recommend the soundtrack. The short was pretty cute, For the Birds is still my favorite though :)

16. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I saw a sneak preview over here already (surprising that it came to Japan that fast.) The name is changed to "Mr. Incredible", but oh well.

Fantastic movie - definite 2 thumbs up :)

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I just saw it tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than Nemo in my opinion (I've also seen Toy Story and Bug's Life, but they were so long ago that I can't remember how good they were).

18. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I've seen the movie twice and I must also chime in that I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the character development. It was amazing to see that it really was a process each character had to go through, and not something that instantly happened in each character when the "moral" of the story came around. I was also amazed that the characters developed at different rates and in different amounts.

I think, sadly, that some of the characters were underused, particularly Violet, but also Frozone to an extent. Frozone was a new take on the token cool black dude--he actually contributed to the plot, and the voice acting by Sam Jackson was brilliant. The entire cast was wonderful and superbly cast.

Edna was a great addition to the movie and an excellent homage (and a dead ringer) to the late Edith Head. All of the little visual treats were a nice touch--from Jack Jack trying to eat the soap bottle to Bob having to lean waaaaaay over to keep the RV in its parking spot.

I appreciated the strong sense of morals this film declaims--from personal responsibility for wrongs committed to love and devotion for one's spouse (going both ways).

And, as I put it to my roommate, "For an adolescent animated character, Violet's rather cute." Sarah Vowell has been approached to do voice-over work for numerous films, but declined until this one. W00t. She's wonderful on This American Life, FWIW.

19. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Haha yeah I remember how much I loved that movie. I worked at a movie theater so I got to see the staff screening the night before it came out. I can't compare it to Finding Nemo because they're such different movies. I love both, to tell the truth. Nemo is more kiddie; The Incredibles has action and has a different sense of humour.

Edna is definitely my favourite character. She was definitely underused.

Like Toy Story 2, this should definitely be another Pixar movie with a sequel. I trust that they'll make it great.

20. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I just found out that the director, Brad Bird, grew up in my hometown. Violet goes to Western View Middle School (which is no longer in service), and the school Dash was racing at at the end of the movie was "The home of the Spartans". The Spartan is the mascot of Corvallis High School (which is actually going to be a brand-new high school in a year or so). I didn't go to either school, but that's pretty cool. I think that the class of 2004 last year asked Bird to speak at CHS' graduation ceremony.

Anyway, everybody but me around here knew this already. I keep on saying, "Hey, did you know that Brad Bird, director of The Incredibles, grew up in Corvallis?" And they invariably say, "Yeah, didn't you know that already?" :D