The Incredibles... Will it be a big hit or a big bomb??

Discussion in 'Community' started by whw5, Sep 20, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Do you guys think the Incredibles will do well in theaters? As much as I would like to think that its going to be a mega hit, I just dont know. It looks cool but how creative is it? What do you guys think? All of the past Pixar movies have done great, lets hope this is no exception.

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Just get to the point. Just because Pixar ditched Disney's greedy ass doesn't mean they can't do well on their own. 100M easy.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Well, this is still a Disney release. Pixar will finish up their contract which still a few more movies on it, but will not sign a new contract with Disney.

And it's gonna rock.

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

well, rumor has it that somebody here (wink, wink) has already seen it in a pre-screening...and that someone (wink, wink) could tell you more but would have to kill you. Now that would be messy ;)

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Actually thought it wouldn't be that good, but after seeing this I actually think it's pretty funny!

7. glosterseagul macrumors regular

never heard of it...be here in acouple of years! :(

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sooner than that with the help of my good friend the intarweb :D ;)

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

if by years you meant months, then you are correct.

10. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

when it all boils down I am sure the movie will be great. Pixar has not let us down yet and I'm sure this will be no exception.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. Pixar is 100%. :)

Lets name all the movies by Pixar that didn't look interesting to me, but ended up being quite amazing. Okay, there's Finding Nemo, and then there's ......

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'm really looking forward to it, it doesn't seem like I've seen much advertising for it, but I guess there will be more in a month or so. (comes out in nov. right?) I can't wait to see the new technical things they were able to do in this one. They've always tried to do something new in all of them (fur, water, etc.) Pixar is the best :D

13. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the biggest advancements were in explosions, explotions underwater, hair, hair underwater. Anything that waves under water is really hard to animate, so I think thats a big accomplishment.

14. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

15. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's got BadAssMotherF*cker in it, how can it bomb?

16. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

17. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I did find it interesting that this is Pixar's first film with humans as the main character...Who knows...Maybe people will hate that and want non-human main characters, like their upcoming movie, Cars.

18. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Samuel L. Jackson. Haven't you ever seen Pulp Fiction?

19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Damn, at least some people are keeping up.

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

21. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Actually, I am way excited about THE INCREDIBLES game. It's going to be very cool. I mean, we all saw the preview at Paris. Hot!

22. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

As someone who's seen this from the beginning (as in the beginning of entirely computer-animated films), the journey has been incredible. Each of Pixar's movies has had a "Hah! Now we can do that!" aspect of it that most people probably aren't aware of. I took an advanced computer animation course in undergrad, and the professor showed us a bunch of short films produced by a new company called Pixar. (This was about two years before Toy Story, if memory serves me correctly.) One of them was about the funniest damn thing I have ever seen. It was a baby plodding around beating the crap out of his toys, and the tin soldier trying to run away. There's a cleaned up version of it called Tin Toy on the Pixar website.

Anyway, we looked at alot of the technical obstacles to various subjects in computer animation. Hair, for instance, is enormously difficult to animate. That was the big "Hah, now we can do that!" of Monsters, Inc. (Just compare the hair in Monsters Inc. to the hair in Toy Story.) Water scenes were the technological breakthrough of Finding Nemo, and fire (and, to some extent, hands) seem to be the "new thing" in the Incredibles. But hair is the thing that surprised/impressed me most, because it really seemed to be an impossible task.

Well, can't wait for 11/4.

--Dave

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's going to be Incredible is how much money this will make. ;)

24. glosterseagul macrumors regular

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Pixar's philosophy has always been stressing the story more than the animation. If they continue with this on the Incredibles, it will be a huge hit.

I'm guessing it will out gross all before it :D

D