Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Well, I don't have that many Mac's to replicate your conditions but I should say that compared to windows explorer, Finder crashing is not really as annoying or as often. However my only gripe about it is that it handles FTP poorly. Maybe it was the site I was connecting to, but then again Finder just beach-balled on me for a good 20 secs or so. Everything else worked though so it was not as if productivity went down the drain totally.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
Well, I don't have that many Mac's to replicate your conditions but I should say that compared to windows explorer, Finder crashing is not really as annoying or as often. However my only gripe about it is that it handles FTP poorly. Maybe it was the site I was connecting to, but then again Finder just beach-balled on me for a good 20 secs or so. Everything else worked though so it was not as if productivity went down the drain totally.

Yeah, it doesn't do FTP too well. And copying large numbers of files (even very small ones) over ethernet is slow. But those don't crash.

And Windows Explorer in XP doesn't crash often at all. Once you can get it to connect to another computer (which is definitely a nightmare), it works very nicely, even if the other computer goes down.

Finder, however, will crash whenever that happens, which is why I often shy away from networking on Mac.

(You can use a Mac and a Windows to replicate the steps as well.)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Did I say it was a kernel panic? No, I said it was a hang. A complete, system-wide hang. I don't think it created a crash log.

Did I say it was a kernel panic? No. An actual crash produces a crashlog. A kernel panic usually creates a panic.log. They are not the same thing. If the apps are CRASHING, then there should be crashlogs in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. If it's a system hang, then technically speaking it is NOT a crash. It's a hang. I'm NOT denying that you have a problem and would love to help you get to the bottom of it, but please use the correct terminology.

It just froze my whole system. Here is the exact chain of events:
  1. Two Computers: Computer A and Computer B
  2. On Computer A's finder, connect to a disk on Computer B
  3. Tell Computer B to go to sleep
  4. Eject the drive on Computer A
  5. Whole system freezes (I try option-command-escape, it doesn't seem to work. Safari freezes, Dock freezes, even. Everything)

Well, I can't replicate it. Only my Finder goes out to lunch, as expected.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
Did I say it was a kernel panic? No. An actual crash produces a crashlog. A kernel panic usually creates a panic.log. They are not the same thing. If the apps are CRASHING, then there should be crashlogs in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. If it's a system hang, then technically speaking it is NOT a crash. It's a hang. I'm NOT denying that you have a problem and would love to help you get to the bottom of it, but please use the correct terminology.

Well, I can't replicate it. Only my Finder goes out to lunch, as expected.

When you simply try to use the drive, Finder will hang (which it still should NOT). If you try to eject it without attempting to use it, then the entire machine will crash. Happens for me exactly on all the machines I've tried it on.

Also, the system won't completely hang - you can still move the mouse pointer, and even move windows around on the screen. Nothing else, however, at all.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
When you simply try to use the drive, Finder will hang (which it still should NOT). If you try to eject it without attempting to use it, then the entire machine will crash. Happens for me exactly on all the machines I've tried it on.

I'm not trying to use the drive, I'm trying to eject it. All I get is the expected Finder hang and the BBoD.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
I'm not trying to use the drive, I'm trying to eject it. All I get is the expected Finder hang and the BBoD.

But the other applications remain usable? This is very odd... what file sharing method are you using? I'm using Apple's AFP protocol.

If not that... I just tested it on my other computer again (that one's a G5 iMac 2.0GHZ 20").

All I can say is that Finder might be crashing before you can really tell it to eject the drive, which would prevent the computer as a whole from crashing... Try having your sidebar wide enough so you can see the eject symbols and press those. Whenever I need to do file transfers and am about to eject, I'll try to remember to test the drive first - but I shouldn't have to!

And, really, Finder shouldn't crash/hang at all.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
News! About 10-15 minutes after hanging, Finder will suddenly finish disconnecting the other drive. Ten minutes. Faster to reboot, actually. But at least my data will be saved if it happens again.

I didn't bother to reboot my other machine this time after going through the process 10-15 minutes ago...

Needless to say, there is a problem here, somewhere.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
But the other applications remain usable? This is very odd... what file sharing method are you using? I'm using Apple's AFP protocol.

CIFS actually. I'll try AFP later today.

Needless to say, there is a problem here, somewhere.

As you said earlier, it's with the Finder. I think most of us "in the know" hope that the Finder will be un-****ed in Leopard, but it's not likely to happen.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Why is it not likely to happen? Everybody all over the Internet bitches about it. I'm sure Apple are listening.

Because the Finder has been ****ed since OS X began. And there have been no major changes to it since the start of OS X as the default OS install on Macs. You can look at it 2 ways, they are RIPE for change, or it'll be business as usual. I am a pessimist. ;)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yeh I have EXACTLY the same issues you all describe, and so has every single Mac I've ever used networking on. It's a big time major flaw that Apple REALLY needs to fix.

When I'm in school, and working on a network with maybe, 30 other people's own laptops, and you have to connect to each and every one (not a huge issue), but you can't keep track of who's switching off their laptop and when, it's a nightmare.

PLEASE FIX IT APPLE!!!!!!

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
Yeh I have EXACTLY the same issues you all describe, and so has every single Mac I've ever used networking on. It's a big time major flaw that Apple REALLY needs to fix.

When I'm in school, and working on a network with maybe, 30 other people's own laptops, and you have to connect to each and every one (not a huge issue), but you can't keep track of who's switching off their laptop and when, it's a nightmare.

PLEASE FIX IT APPLE!!!!!!

I submitted a bug report on Apple's http://bugreport.apple.com/... I'm waiting to hear something.

And on the likelihood of Finder being upgraded... theoretically, it only needs a few simple modifications:
1. Bug fixes
2. Multithreading
3. Perhaps: a new UI.

So a rewrite may not be required. Of course, if Finder is currently made up of spaghetti code, then Apple may be forced to rewrite it...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
And there have been no major changes to it since the start of OS X as the default OS install on Macs.

Are you kidding? The finder was tremendously worse before.

Anyway, my Finder(s) almost never crash. What does crash a lot is the Dock, especially when right clicking Dock-ed folders such as Applications and Documents.

Such a simple thing to have such an ugly problem.

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason

Anyway, my Finder(s) almost never crash. What does crash a lot is the Dock, especially when right clicking Dock-ed folders such as Applications and Documents.

Such a simple thing to have such an ugly problem.

I only know Panther's Finder versus this one, and there isn't much of a difference... though there is one.

But networking and shared folders has ALWAYS been a pain - mostly because of such crashes, delays... and really, if Apple just made Finder multi-threaded about 80% of problems would be fixed...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR

No, I am not. For all intents and purposes, the Finder has been ****ed from day one in OS X and really hasn't changed that much. A little here and there, as in how it displays multitudes of files (without going into a tizzy), but overall, I find it to be the same POS from Jaguar on to Tiger. I don't count 10.1 as a real release, because IMO, 10.2 was the first release I was ready to install on all the Macs under my care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.