the innovations of apple?

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Dec 1, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay help me out here guys. im trying to get a list of what apple has innovated that actually had some type of benefit outside of their computers.

for example...

Apple invented the personal computer... the first GUI, with the iMac Apple reinvented the personal computer, Apple created the first music download service that is practical AND legal, just to name a few.. etc.

so anything else?

*puts on some flame retardent pajamas just in case*

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unicode was a joint development between Apple, IBM, and Xerox. It is the basis for cross-platform use of multiple languages where little existed prior to it. Apple's WorldScript and relevant research led to this innovation.

Remember that Apple didn't invent the first GUI--they developed the first commercially-accepted GUI.

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

oh okay.. right sorry. thanks for that extra info.

yeah i keep on forgeting... apple didnt invent the first gui they just made it commercially accepted... like what nirvana did for grunge.

lol

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple used the first commercial Mouse, Developed the First commercial hard disk File table (Mac File System), the first commercial multitasking UI, the first accepeted 3.5" disks, and the first computer to reliable use USB for all legacy conncetions (ie. Mouse and KB).

TEG

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay so lets see here... we have as apple innovations/invents so far:

1. first personal computer
    2. first commercially accepted GUI
    3. reinvention of the personal computer (imac)
    4. first music download service thats practical and legal
    5. unicode ... apples world-script led to this innovation

anything else?

didn't they also create the firewire thing?

sorry about being technically sloppy here... but really being technically proficient in apple history is not my thing.... i wish it were... but its not so i do apologize to those that are.

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay just noticed this after i posted my previous post. allow me to update on my next post. thanks for helping out... really.

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

(((((update #1))))

okay so lets see here... we have as apple innovations/invents so far:

1. first personal computer
    2. first commercially accepted GUI
    3. reinvention of the personal computer (imac)
    4. first music download service thats practical and legal
    5. unicode ... apples world-script led to this innovation
    6. first commercial mouse
    7. first commercial hard disk file table (mac file system)
    8. first commercial multitasking UI
    9. first accepted 3.5 disks
    10. first computer to reliably use USB for all legacy connections (ie. Mouse and KB)

good stuff man. juicy. makes for a great case so far.

thanks for the help from you all so far. im anticipating whats next.

8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

They did not invent the first personal computer. What they did though, was invent the first trully "commercially viable" personal computer with the Apple 1 and especially Apple 2 (II).

They did, in the UI, invent a lot of things that PARC (the only game in town who wouldn't market thier tech) wouldn't.
    Some of those include the double click, the dragable icon, the pull-down menu, overlapping windows, etc. They also invented the first PDA (at least commercialy) that also had natural hand writting recognition....

If you really want to wow someone, show them the Lisa Office system (precursor to the mac), it had a totaly integrated spreadsheet, document, presentation and drawing software built in!! Quite amazing for 1983 tech...

Today, they kinda did the same thing with say expose, quartz (full PDF quality compositing in UI), qaurtz extreme (hardware acceleration of UI - only windows for now) etc. I am sure you could find lots of things...

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

woah. okay hold on here for a sec. first...can you make a list of those inventions/innovations that you noted in your response... you know to kinda clarify it a bit more for a list so i dont get it wrong.
    second... i thought apple did inevnt the first personal computer. who did then?

thanks by the way for your glorious contribution. you have been whitelisted.

;)

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Wasn't Apple the first to introduce the use of icons.

11. anubis macrumors 6502a

As far as i can tell, apple was directly responsible for the adaptation of the following technologies by the computing world:

Icons
    Menus
    Fonts
    Postscript printers
    3.5-inch disk drives
    CD-ROM (most people seem to be forgetting this!)
    USB
    Firewire (ieee 1394)
    Mouse
    Digital video (quicktime)

12. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

would apple be creater/inventor of said technologies or would they only be the ones who made it "commercially acceptable".... you know that nirvana grunge thing?

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I believe you meant adoption, not adaptation. ;)

John Warnock and Adobe were responsible for PostScript and digital typefaces but it was Apple who allowed the technology to be used by an average company.

Apple, with Macintosh and LaserWriter (Canon print engine), brought about the acronym WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

14. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Who knows who exactly was the "one" who invented the PC...its kinda like a lot of hobbyists were makeing stuff (comps) for themselves because they didn't like having to share a giant IBM mainframe (dinosaur) with everyone else, they wanted one that was personal, apple is the only one from the old days (70's) to have survived the IBM Clones.

If I Listed it, then...

Invented the forebearer to all moder 2-D UI's
    This included: Double Click
    Drag and Drop
    Shortcuts (alias files)
    Pull down menus
    Overlaping windows

Later on, they created the first "PDA" the newton that had pretty good H/W recognition for something in 1993.
    (Notice that tablet PC is basically just continuing where they left off...)

Quarts Extreme, the first 2-D UI to be Graphics Processor Accelerated (mapping windows to Polygons in an actual 3-D scene)

Also, quartz itself was the first of its kind to take Photoshop quality graphics proccessing and turn it into a UI for PCs.

Don't forget also one of the first companies to integrate 802.11 into thier line-up (Wi-fi/Airport)

And, the lisa office system, that was basically the first integrated office suite, came out in 1983, forbearer to MS Office....

Good enough?

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Apple was the first to use CD-ROMs, the first to use the term "multimedia", the first to use color matching (colorsync), pioneered Firewire, came up with the "trash can" idea of files not being deleted once the system is powered down (having to empty the trash can), and I am sure there are lots others I am missing to add to the list.

16. Doraemon macrumors 6502

You should be careful about what Apple INVENTED and what they PIONEERED.

That's a major difference!

Apple did not invent the CD-ROM drive, FireWire, USB, Mouse, 3.5" floppy, etc.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple did create FireWire. The date I've seen connected with the development of the technology was 1986. I find it a little early but it's certainly possible that they patented the idea and not the implementation.

As far as hard disk file table, Macintosh File System (MFS) did not work with hard drives. The Hierarchial File System (HFS) was created to do that.

While the term personal computer is up for debate, there are several candidates:

Apple II (MOS Technologies 6502)
    Commodore PET (MOS Technologies 6502)
    Altair 8800 (Intel 8008)
    Radio Shack TRS-80 (Zilog Z80)

All of these were called microcomputers and later, Commodore VIC and Atari 400/800 were called home computers. It was only when the IBM PC arrived, that the term Personal Computer was actually used.

18. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

weren't apple the first to use 802.11b commercially?

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I did not say that Apple invented CD-ROM, I said they were the first to use CD-ROM in a computer. If I remember correctly, it was a joint venture between Philips and Sony that came up with the CD format. Firewire was created by Apple, though, and USB was pioneered by Apple, but if I remember correctly, Apple did have a hand in the creation of that standard as well. Apple got the mouse from Xerox but they were the first to implement it along with the first with incorporating the idea of using software drivers to run hardware (such as using a driver to make the mouse work). I can't say I know who created the 3.5" floppy drive, but Apple was the first to use them in a computer.

20. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

The first consumer digital camera (a.k.a Quicktake 100)(Which was actually a Kodak camera with Apple's name on it.)

They made multimedia standard.

Innovator if Photo Cd's.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Kodak DC40 and the Apple QuickTake 100 were both made by Kyocera (Kyoto Ceramics).

USB, along with PCI were both Intel developments. The methods USB devices use indicate that Intel took apart ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) devices during their development of USB.

The 3.5 inch diskette was developed by Sony. The one we know is the second iteration. The original had a manual shutter which had to be opened before you inserted the diskette into the drive. Hitachi's 3.0 inch diskette had the automatic shutter first.

22. dxp4acu macrumors regular

were they the first to use dvd burners and slot drives in laptops? Just look at the PB G4 right now and the PM G5 for innovations...

What things does the G5 have that are firsts? PCI-X, etc.

Also, was the first to use 802.11g commercially, as well as .mp4 and .aac.

First to use Firewire in an mp3 player?

Any Mac OS X contributions?

23. blogo macrumors 6502

24. dxp4acu macrumors regular

yeah, if anyone has the toby mac cd "momentum" (He is one of the three guys from DC Talk), song 4 is a small rap featuring one of the computer voices from Mac OS. It was pretty tight.

So, is the Mac the only OS that talks to you? I can't remember hearing a Dell say something. I loved that feature. I could say commands to my computer that I set up with Apple Script and it would do them. That's a first, right? I mean, we are talking 1997-1998 or so here.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I found a reference to Personal Computing. It was a 1980 advertisement for a magazine in the January 1981 BYTE magazine.

The partial scan is below. (It would be more straight but I wasn't about to rip it out of the magazine.)

Attached Files: