The Intel Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macgeek2005, Feb 2, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I've been thinking alot about what apple might be planning with the Intel release of the PowerMac.

It's obvious that it's going to be one of the last macs to get the Intel chip (which actually isn't so convenient for me), but are there going to be any larger more signifigant changes?

Is this going to be one of those things where it'll explode out onto the market "Twice as fast as any other personal computer in the world!!!", or will it just simply be updating their PowerMac to be in Intel maching, giving it a slight speed bump.

Is the case design going to change? I would think that with the Intel chip being alot cooler than the PPC G5, they could have a mind blowing sleek small tower. Maybe.... same width as the G5, but lets say.... 14 inches tall and 16 inches back or something. I'm just speculating here, but I can imagine a nice sleek tower that isn't so bulky, being very attractive to new mac users, and cause alot of G5 tower owners to upgrade quicker than they otherwise would have.

Could apple possibly be saving the release of the Intel Tower until Leopard is released? Maybe they'll both be released at the 2007 Keynote, in a giant explosion of glory, because Leopard will be built around the Intel chip, and make the Intel macs run MUCH smoother because of that.

Maybe apple will have 2 or maybe even 3 Optical drive bays in the new Intel Towers.

What thoughs or ideas do you have about the Intel mac pro?

2. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

i've never understood why the powermacs only have one optical drive.

my roomate is a sound engineer and works on a dual g5 (not sure which exactly), but he said he hardly ever uses the optical drive on it anyway, except when they finish a session to give the artist a copy of their work.

i think 2 drives is more than enough, i've got 2 on my pos that i'm working on right now.
    (come on tax return, get me that powerbook)

3. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I don't know any ideas I have for it, but I know I'm buying the top of the line model.

4. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Man, I wish I could do that. What are your thoughts on the prices of the Intel Towers, and when then will be released? Steve Jobs said that by the end of the 2006 calender year, all the macs will be Intel, so it can't be at the 2007 keynote.

I'm hoping that i'll be able to afford the middle class model.

5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I'm going for the top of the line model because I want the machine too last. :)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Given the recent history with the new Intel based Macs being introduced at the same price (in the US, perhaps a little more in the UK) so I imagine the new Mac Pro will be around the same price as the current PowerMac.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

In terms of form factor (external at least), both the Intel Macs already released have been practically identical to their PowerPC ancestors. It might be a reasonable guess then that the first Intel Power Macs will look very similar to the current model. Of course, all that spare space inside could be used for lots of exciting things – extra hard drive bays perhaps, maybe even another optical drive...

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Why do you need two optical drives....when there are superdrives..??

9. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Agreed, everything so far indicates it will be the same price. Also, everything we've seen so far inidicates the that form factor (case) is unlikely to change.

I must admit, the release of the final "pro" macs next January, together with Leopard (eurgh, not as sexy as tiger) would feel like it added a nice "full-stop" to the transition. Perhaps also backed up with a release date for the Create Suite transition.

In short though, I guess I don't expect a big splash other than "we're done".

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i dont think they will change the case that it goes it, or if it is i think it will keep its size as that symbolizes power i beleive - its like - ooh, its big and shiny therefore there must be something important happening in there!

11. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Why do people keep saying the final "pro" mac will be next January? STEVE JOBS SAID IT WOULD BE IN 2006!!!!

12. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Jeez, it's not like I thought anyone was taking the steady stream of bs SERIOUSLY!

13. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

uh, I didn't quite catch that. You mean to say, that what steve jobs said is BS?

14. localghost macrumors regular

Conroe and Woodcrest are ahead of schedule, as was Yonah (Core Duo).

The Mac Pro will be out summer or fall because:

1) Apple can’t afford to be behind Wintel competition
    2) They would not need Intel to design the motherboard (as rumored) if they had a full year for their design

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well almost 30 months ago he promised 3Ghz PowerMac G5's within a year, and we still don't have them today. Sometimes things go beyond the control of even 'his almighty Steve-ness'.

16. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I think the reason why the form factors have not changed thus far are for these two reasons:

1) The iMac's design is still relatively new, and Apple is thrilled with its form factor, and they are not going to change it. Give it another year (give or take) and we will see the new iMac revision.

2) Apple doesn't want to scare its users. They wanted to retain the form of the iMac and PowerBook (iMac for the reason stated above) because they want their users to rest asured that it is, indeed, still a Mac.

I think that since we are past the first stage of the transition to Intel, forms will now begin changing, with the iBook possibly being first, but I think once the transition trickles down to the PowerMac people will be ready for a change in form factor and Apple will deliver.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2 Optical Drives:

Drive 1 - Superdrive
    Drive 2 - BluRay

D :D

18. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

19. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

No my BS, not his!

20. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

All sounds good to me. I think one of the reasons people switch in a more normal product cycle is that the FF changes, this year I really don't think Apple needs to, people have other reasons to switch/upgrade.

That coupled with the reasons you cite, suggest that 07/08 will be a season of look change, rather then 06.