The International Free Data Party

Discussion in 'Community' started by mischief, Jan 29, 2003.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Okay. We are enough of a community I feel I can propose the really radical **** now. I've felt for a while now that the world needs a Political party based solely on Data. Data transparency, Data security, Confidentiality and real-time lawmaking.

FREE THE DATA!!:D

Is anyone interested in making "need to know" "wanna know?"?:D :D

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

3. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Valid point..... How the hell do you start a political party?

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

freeing data and securing it are classically conflicting goals.... I guess we're already a political party then! :D :D

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Becoming a political party is a 3 phase process...

Phase 1: Steal Underwear.
    Phase 3: Make a profit.

6. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

It does seem that way doesn't it?

Though the inherent hipocrisy of the statement falls to the context of it's components:

Data security and freedom of information are not mutually exclusive.

I feel that all my personal data should reside with ME..... not on a variety of servers where it's out of my control. This is Data security in the most fundamental sense. That my most sensitive data should never be on someone else's machine in any permanent form unless I put it there with full awareness of what I'm doing.

I also feel that data which effects everyone (like bills in the senate currently being hashed out) should be freely and easily available. This is freedom of information in it's most fundamental sense: the more people it effects, the easier it should be to get.

The US Government should still need the digital equivalent of a Warrant to get into my HD, files, server or other storage devices. These are a private spaces and should be treated as such. I feel that the Executive Branch randomly being abler to go through my Chat logs, e-mail, etc. is like putting a camera in my shower.

Basically: It's time that those of us who understand the power of Data to stand up and make it known that Virtual Spaces have the same right to privacy as material spaces, virtual conversations have the same right to privacy as a phonecall, and my HD has the same right to protection from illegal search and seizure as my house or vehicle. I have both the right to protect my Data and the right to know the Data that my government generates that effect my life.

I feel that it is the right of every citizen to know what's going on and to control all the pieces of their "electronic self" without being spread out all over the world in a variety of data bases. It's time for the Geeks to make themselves heard as something other than technicians and Hackers.

7. vniow macrumors G4

mischief, I'd like to know just what the hell you put in those pies of yours cuz I want some too![​IMG]

8. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Incoming!!

Rather than get into the same debate that Butters started.....

•SPLAT!•

(cr2ush is hit with a steaming hot underwear and body-fluid pie!) :eek:

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Incoming!!

who? :)
    its crash...

It's too easy to throw your hands in the air, the system is so badly flawed at this point. Technology has changed so fast in the last 10years, I really believe that those who are making the laws, do not understand it at all.

Government websites.. they're horrible, stock-piles of mostly useless data.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

We're all currently working on step #2.

As soon as we figure it out, i can quit looking for a job!

comedy aside, the libertarian party supports free speech in all forms, especially on the internet. They're one of the driving forces behind the blue-ribbon Internet Free-Speech campaign.

seriousness aside, those damn gnomes are back...

pnw

11. vniow macrumors G4

Does anyone kow how to get rid of those damn gnomes?

I've tried the usual (spreading peanut butter mixed in with koolade and ham all over my underwear) but they keep on licking it off and stealing them!

These are my best pair too, I might just have to go without wearing underwear from now on.

Harumph!

12. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I have a feeling the gnomes are going to start invading other threads soon also. :eek: I didn't mean to unleash this on macrumors...

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's what's so annoying about the gnomes-- i don't wear underwear. But try telling them that. i have pet hedgehogs that they could be inviting them in, but they don't wear underwear either??? very odd...

pnw

14. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

free the data

Isn't data being set free as quickly as it's replaced?

So I think maybe lets not worry so much about how we get data released but how the hell we protect our data from going up the pipe in the first place.:mad:

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Current bills in Congress are already available online, as is most publicly disseminated government documentation...

Personal information security is a pretty narrow topic. Why not lobby for it (and work to change the corrupt corporate-controlled system that maintains the status quo) instead of forming an entire political party around it that nobody but hairy fat stinky geeky virgin types will stand behind? :)

Besides, the Pants Pissers Party will soon make all other parties obsolete. Your information will be secure under our regime... secure for OUR viewing, that is! Bahahahahaha!!!!

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

though hypocrisy is almost required in politics, perhaps the creation of a party mission statement might help remove any ambiguity from the party's stance. such a party would likely be debated with relatively more scrutiny than the current parties (due to the relatively more educated audience) so clearity would be very valuable.

this is a bit of a false sense of security; though the data might be physically close to you, technological barriers can easily keep it far away. though this said policy is perhaps a good approach, there must be something said about encryption and formatting forced upon your data by other parties that could leave you with relatively unreadable data.

didn't the Freedom of Information Act do this?
    but anyway, all information affects all individuals in the community to some extent. the party would need to declare what it believes to be the minimum effect of information on an individual (financially, ideologically, spiritually, etc...).

it might be effective for the party to encorporate these ideals into its declarations about data as property. to read data without authorization could be argued to be abusing intellectual property.

indeed, this party would likely need to have a clear, firm stance on intellectual property too, or such issues could split the party.

i might have to register to vote for this one bwhahahahaaha :D :D

17. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

I think that a mission statement and consolidation of core values was, in fact my goal in starting this thread.:D

Not so. What I propose is a "Data Wallet" system in which all my personal sensitive data in regards to my legal, financial and medical status be ONLY on a device that I carry with me that must be physically accessed to be read. This could be akin to a flash-RAM "dog-tag". The data would interact locally with "dumb" devices like registers that only have the power to ask: "do you have the resources to get this service/product?" and alter the data accordingly. Banks mean precisely DICK when all finance is electronic and relatively illusory to begin with. This is a radical goal but it is both practicable and (i believe) what will happen anyway.

That was the intent but, just like gun legislation it was not only neutered but a token to begin with. If Data alters my pursuit of life, liberty and happiness then it must be treated as either part of my person or within my household under the law. In a sense a Data bases like credit reports, consumer profiling, etc. that alter the quality of service I recieve from businesses are a form of defamation and de-facto discrimination.

That's what we're doing now. Declaring and consolidating what we stand for.
    Intellectual property is a misnomer. True Intellectual Property , if the term was re-evaluated would be ANY data attatched to any of my electronically available identifiers. These are more than just property.... they constitute a very real part of how the world judges my character, capabilities and priviledges.... they effect my life, liberty and happiness. Only Datums that have some financial value should be regarded as "property".

Intellectual Property, like any other product, is the responsibility of the individual who creates it to protect. If such property is stolen from an otherwise secure location all the penalties for B&E, Larceny (sp?) and forgery. The whole copywrite and electronic espionage kluge is complete facist, capitalist bull**** based on an obsolete, print-and-vinyl age where the process of illegal duplication was time consuming, expensive and relatively difficult.

Please register as "unaffiliated" and vote your conscience.

In response to the comments about current bill data-availability: the data is online but difficult to find and effectively encrypted by jargon and doublespeak. I want the bills on the Data Party website available with footnote translations into plain english as FTP'd PDF's.

:D

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it's not really the place of a party to offer a subjective evaluation of current bills when it's goal is to offer the sources untainted. any 'translation into plain english' would constitute a subjective evaluation, though it could be balanced with different reads in order to offset this. there should be pure versions of the bills in order to ensure that users have access to a version that is 100% truth, regardless of what the majority of the public might believe the bill to mean.

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

haha, love that show :)

20. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

That's why I wanted footnotes, not commentary. Translations can be based on standardized legalese.

It would work best if the "fuzzy" definitions of legal terms were used so the full impact of the ambiguity is revealed in the annotations.

I wasn't talking about simply doing a "cantonese-to-english" interprative translation, I was talking about defining key terms by using footnotes that extrapolate terms by existing tort and linking to other laws with similar language..... also with annotation.

Part of the function of such embellished publishing of law is to expose the fact that it is indeed encrypted.

21. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

hmmmm we could call the party

"Slashdot Geeks for Political Reform"
    /.gpa

:)

22. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

erm.... no.

That would kinda defeat the point. Could do International Data Reform Party.

IFDP

or

IDRP?

23. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Back to the rant at hand.

The basic premise: Geeks understand the power of information in a far more profound way than the average individual.

Corporations, government agencies and other groups with no accountability under the law are being allowed to control who has access, alteration rights and distributive control of Data sets that should, by all logic and principal be posessed only by the parties to which they apply.

24. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Arn... could you or Duke or Eye move this to politics?

Thanker.

Now then....

The IFDP will hitherto be known as the Data Heads with Computers Party in order to officially oppose the Pants Pissers Party with an appropriately geeky acronym!:D ;)

Down with the PPP!! DHCP forever!! Vive le Rendezvous!:D :cool: :eek: :rolleyes: