iPad The iPad 4 is Faassst!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarpad, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Scarpad

I sold my Ipad 3 when I picked up the Mini, and Using some Xmas funds finally got around to picking up a 64gb Ipad 4. Boy this thing is a screamer compared to the 3. It's especially noticible for games. The graphics and gameplay is so much smoother.

I was considering waiting for the Ipad 5, but I'm wondering what more they can do to it, besides making it thin and lighter, to improve. it. This might be my first Ipad I skip a gen or two, Like I did for Ipad 1.

2. macrumors 6502

You could almost say its "Lightning" fast.....

3. macrumors 6502

Have had it since launch and it hasn't stuttered or lagged once and I play some graphically demanding games like modern combat nova and infinity blade. Impressive to say the least.

4. macrumors 65816

Aren't you like saying the obvious? Newer models are all faster than their predecessors right? :confused:

Besides being faster, there're isn't any other noticeable improvements from the 3rd generation iPad. And yes, I don't consider the lightning connector to be an "improvement" at all.

5. macrumors G3

If you're the kind of person who isn't impressed unless something looks different then no, you won't think it's an improvement.

6. macrumors 65816

Yes, it is an awesome device. Now I wish there were more than a few games optimized for it. The only Games that really show it off are NFS:Most Wanted
    and Modern Combat 4. All other games just run really nice, but Im looking forward to games like Real Racing 3 that will really push the hardware to its limits.

7. Fed
    macrumors 6502

8. macrumors G3

Not necessarily true.

There was an article posted in another thread which compared the new Batman game on three different iPads. The iPad 4 had more details in its textures than the previous iPads.

9. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Yep, my 32GB iPad 4 runs as smooth as Butter (way better than a mini, IMO) :D

10. macrumors 68040

D.T.

The FaceTime sessions we've had recently sure looked better because of the improved FFC.

In fact, I'd say the frame rates were even smoother, possibly due to the improved WiFi, even though that's kind of "speed" related improvement :)

11. macrumors 65816

akdj

I'm with ya!!! I've still got a '3'--but probably listing it soon on C/L. Your experience mirrors mine...extremely quick, on essentially every task you ask:)
    Launching apps, installing software/updating SW, browsing and page population, editing or manipulating photos/videos, updating my RSS reader each AM (Early Edition, literally twice as quick! Charging is quicker...to me, the sound is 'better'...I'm equally impressed.

LOL--I like 'silly' on a Monday morning:)

12. macrumors regular

My wife commented almost immediately that web browsing in Safari is much faster on her 4 compared to her 3. And she's not a techie at all.

13. macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I bet the I pad 5 will make that look like a turtle!

14. macrumors member

snappier safari?! say it aint so :D

15. macrumors 603

Makes sense since the 4 has a better processor. :confused:

16. macrumors member

My wife went from a iPad 1 to the 4 I got her for Christmas. She just can't get over the speed difference.

17. macrumors G3

I feel the same way about people who post how small and light their Minis are. Makes sense since the Mini has less weight.

18. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

The next gen will be Faster...err.
    I'm sure you'll like that one, its a screamer

19. WeegieMac, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

WeegieMac

I love these self justification threads.

There's as many YouTube videos showing that Batman and NFS look identical on the 3 and 4. For now the 4 boasts frame rate improvements (albeit slight) over the 3, but unless an app has been specifically enhanced for the 4 you're not going to launch an existing game on it and see radicle differences over the 3.

NFS for example got a performance upstate recently which enhanced the frame rate on the iPad 3. Graphically, both devices have the same effects; reflections, wet road, tail lights, lighting, dynamic lighting, resolution, etc.

Soon the 4 will display more oomph than the 3, but not yet. Interestingly if you watch the Real Racing 3 promo video with the bloke Rob from FireMonkeys he admits the footage shown is from the iPad 3. So I'm not worried about that game on my device, but I think the delay in launch is specifically to tune to the game on the iPad 4, and we will see one hell of a game.

20. Guest

WeegieMac

The Dark Knight one by Gameloft?

No it doesn't ... Check the video comparison below. And before someone comments on the lack of rain/lightning on the iPad 3, it's randomised weather conditions in the game. The iPad 3 does indeed have rain and lighting effects.

http://youtu.be/5WuwFJxtU4k

21. macrumors 68020

Well, I think the iPad 4 is the iPad apple really wanted when they introduced the iPad 3 but I think it is obvious a few things weren't ready yet: the Lightning connector (rumors of a smaller dock connector only started showing up around the time the iPad 3 was introduced) and the A6 chip. On the GPU side, they might could have done better (not really sure about that) but on the CPU side it is obvious that they weren't ready yet. Whether that is because they were still developing the CPU Swift architecture, or whether it was because the production process wasn't ready yet - I don't know.

The iPad 4 was what the iPad 3 was supposed to be: smaller connector, FaceTime HD camera, 4x more powerful GPU compared to iPad 2 (instead of 2x) so perfect for a display with four times as many pixels and a more powerful CPU (so they won't of behind on iPhone).

I think starting next year, they'll release one iPad a year again.

Features? Enough. They can add better cameras (both front and back) with LED flash, they can add tactile feedback (Senseg), a new design, redesign iOS and more.

I do agree with you, though, that from here on and further they'll probably focus mostly on general specifications.

22. macrumors G3

No, it was the wall textures.

23. Guest

WeegieMac

The game looks identical. The only difference is loading times.

If it was "wall textures" then yeah, I wish I'd upgraded. I mean the same frame rate, smoothness, lighting effects, water effects, weather effects, etc ... that's not enough, I need those wall textures.

*sarcasm

You made a sweeping statement that the iPad 3 version looked grossly inferior to the iPad 4 version. Anyone reading your comment I quoted originally would pick up on that. When questioned, it turned out to be wall textures? The buildings look identical in both versions, so I assume you'll only see these textures when standing right beside ... a wall.

I know people get excited for the latest piece of kit, but running the previous generation down with sweeping generalisations and wrongful statements just comes off as some kind of self justifying.

Now the Geekbench scores don't lie. The iPad 4 IS a beast of a machine and it will leave the iPad 3 behind as developers push that A6X more and more. But making out the current crop of games to be light years ahead on the 4 vs the 3 is just folly.

24. darngooddesign, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

macrumors G3

Hyperbole much?

1. I did not say it looked grossly inferior. I said that the iPad 4 showed more detail in the wall textures. If it shows more detail in wall textures, it will show more details in textures used throughout, like water for example.

2. I did make out that the current crop of games are light years ahead on the 4 vs the 3.

3. I never ran the previous generation down.

Now if you don't care about more detailed wall textures, that's fine. But more details make the game look better. But more to the point, if you have neither played the game on an iPad 4 or seen a comparison of the two, you are hardly qualified to say "The game looks identical. The only difference is loading times".

25. macrumors 68020

I would advise you to go back to Apple because iPads aren't supposed to be running. Your iPad mini seems alright, though.

Butter isn't supposed to be running either, is that a new product?