Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twittertinavane

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
a outdated 8 month old a5 chip and underclocked to boot....like seriously...and people say the ipad ram.I guess that is how this company get over on people..:apple:

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I would have liked the 4S to have a gig of RAM, but really if it runs properly then it doesn't matter. As long as it doesn't get slower as applications request more resources. If anyone is disappointed then really they're worried more about image than function. Try out those Android phones with a full GB, from my experience (YMMV) they just don't run like an iOS.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Until Apple re-does their multitasking (let's be honest, it's pretty terrible) they really have no reason to add more RAM.

Let's be honest, "let's be honest" stands for "I don't really have any valid arguments, so I pretend that anyone disagreeing with me would have to be dishonest and win the argument that way". As someone making their living writing software, I find Apple's way of multitasking to be very well done for a device where saving power is important, and where the user can rarely use two apps at the same time. I would be moaning if that was how my Mac was multitasking, but for a phone or for the iPad it is an excellent choice.

Strange enough, you admit in the same sentence that if Apple re-did multitasking the way you think it should be done, there would suddenly be a good reason to add more RAM. So it seems that this "pretty terrible" multi-tasking is also very good to keep memory requirements down, by your own admission.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Oh, I thought I had already read it had 1 GB. :S

Anyway, I think iOS has lower RAM requirements than Android, if I we were to compare with that OS. Android apps are written in Java and they run in a VM called Dalvik. iOS apps are written in Objective-C, a variant of a systems programming language that is similar to C++, and far lower level. I wouldn't be surprised if this had pretty far reaching implications as for RAM needs on the respective platforms.

laynemoseley

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
I think he doesn't completely understand how multitasking works, only the UI.

Apple's multitasking is just fine. But the UI for it... blows chunks.

What's wrong with the UI?

I guess simple, easy to understand UI sucks. That's why the iPhone has done so horribly the past few years. ;)

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Siri on iPad 2?

I find it hard to believe that a currently purchased iPad would not have the current features when they now have the exact same hardware. Apple has been douchey about this stuff in the past, but would they really go this far?

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

myrtlebee said:
Sarcasm People!

Or not... how are you supposed to tell with some of the posters? I have seen comparable things written and have been what the poster really thought.

Do you really, really care what someone else does?

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow...how many of you think an 3.2ghz Pentium 4 is faster than your MacBook air at 1.8ghz. Seriously people, look up the purpose of ram. There will come a day when storage is so fast, all ram will be on the die, currently known as cache.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
I wouldn't have believed the iPad2 only has 512mb ram with how smooth mine runs. My Droid with 1GB ram doesn't run as smooth as the iPad2 most of the time. Hence one of the reasons I will be getting an iPhone 4S.

twittertinavane

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
lmfao at the people making excuses for this....honey i have a iphone freaking 4 and that crap lag(had a 3gs before the 4)..so where is this fluid crap coming from?:rolleyes:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Until Apple re-does their multitasking (let's be honest, it's pretty terrible) they really have no reason to add more RAM.

Why is it terrible?

I think he doesn't completely understand how multitasking works, only the UI.

Apple's multitasking is just fine. But the UI for it... blows chunks.

Yeah, I'd say, at the end of the day iOS's multitasking is _effective_ regardless of how it's implemented.

When an app is in the background, it doesn't need to suck up any cycles unless it's handling required data anyway. For non-Windowed type OS, I'd say that's preferable.

iOS supports [concurrent] audio, location data, plus push/location notification, but also task completion. It's interesting, because I'd say a large number of the widgets I've seen/used could be constructed from that's available in the iOS API, but there is of course not the front facing UI that Android has (in terms of how the data is delivered). I mention this because there seems to be a misunderstanding that iOS can't have things like widgets because of the multitasking model.

Most background tasks if you think of them in terms of an app, fall into push (email, FB updates, weather), simple local notifications (timers, calendars), "data services" like voice/GPS (maps, phone), or extended, but finite tasks (uploading an image to Photobucket).

If you sort of abstract an app into it's basic functions, those really do match up well with the multitasking API in iOS. I'm actually trying to think of a case where something beyond that would be needed on a smartphone? I guess maybe an RTS type game where a computer opponent is allowed unlimited turn processing in the background[?]

I'm prototyping some mobile solutions to extend our core Enterprise solutions, so I've been pinking around with iOS and Android development for several months.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
What do you mean "appears to have?" It's been confirmed a long time ago.

Where? It won't be confirmed until Apple confirms it or somebody does an actual teardown.

I'm disappointed but not that surprised, since Apple probably wants to keep the upgrade for the iPhone 5. With that said, I've already preordered the 4S anyways.

ny3ranger

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
What does it matter if its 512 1028 or 768. Isnt the user experience what matters? If they optimized their OS so much that it can run everything faster on 256 and lowered it on the 4s. I dont give a ****. Am I alone in this?

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Last week, the Infinity Blade developer first suggested that the iPhone 4S still had 512MB of RAM, just like the iPhone 4:The developer would be in a position to know as they had demoed their game on the new iPhone 4S during last week's keynote.

We had doubts about this claim, however, as we had previously heard that the new iPhone would carry 1GB of RAM. Note that we heard this alongside other information regarding Apple's Assistant feature that we accurately mocked up ahead of Siri's launch, so we were confident in the source.

But, now, AppVV also confirms that the iPhone 4S has 512MB of RAM. In a discussion thread an administrator reports that it has 512MB. This fact is repeated on their Weibo page as well in response to a question:Though they don't detail how they came to the figure, we're inclined to believe AppVV as they are the ones who posted a hands-on video of the iPhone 4S this morning.

Article Link: The iPhone 4S Appears to Have 512MB RAM

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Ouch!

Its cringeworthy that a phone released at this time with at such a price point would feature 0.5 gigs of ram but just think, you will have to put up with this for another year!

What an embarrassment!

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
i was told once by a store employee that unline windows apple prods dont need a lot of ram

mamon343

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
North America
I AM DISAPPOINTED.

However iOS is very optimized.

1 thing that bothers me is that the 4s will be running Siri in the background whereas 4 will not, which will make 4s little slower. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS IS RIGHT?:confused:

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
If this true, I WANT SIRI ON MY iPAD 2 NOW!.....AND I MEAN NOW!!

that is all

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
As I have said before, I believe the RAM is limeted to help prolong battery performance.

Actually the more ram, the better battery. It all makes sense. The more ram the more efficient the phone is. That decreases the consumption of the battery. If Apple did put 768MB or 1GB or whatever amount then %100 guarantee that the battery will be much more efficient.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Is it really that surprising? Isn't that what the iPad 2 has (and people were surprised then). Obviously it's always nice to have more but the iPad seems to run well with 512. Seems like Apple is upgrading ram when the upgrade the CPU.

On a related note, now that we know that the ram is the same too, there's really no technical reason for Siri not to run on iPad 2, right?

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I love how people miss the point, sure the operating system (ios) will run just snappy with 512mb but its apps that will have to work within the tight limitations of the iphones hardware.

The iPhone 4S is even more "boring" of an upgrade than it was previously thought.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Apple has always been stingy with RAM--whether it's in their computers or iStuff. And when they have offered extra RAM on their computers they gouge for it. I have no idea why they do this or why they have such an aversion to increasing the memory capacity of their devices when the costs clearly drop every year while the necessity of the boost goes up every year.

Yeah, Apple has been pretty stingy with RAM for many years.

However, with the phone I'm willing to let that slide a little more than I would with a Mac because this will encourage developers and iOS designers to use limited resources wisely when writing apps/software. Exponential growth in RAM+an arms race to the highest enumerated RAM number=motivation for things like Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.