The iPhone 4S does not use Corning Gorilla Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Nov 7, 2011.

1. b24pgg, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

macrumors 65816

EDIT (3/05/2012): Well based on this post it turns out I'm wrong :eek:

---------------------
    This appears to be a common misconception.

iPhone iterations prior to the iPhone 4 used Corning Gorilla Glass, as evidenced on page 471 of the Steve Jobs biography.

With the iPhone 4, Apple began using Lens Technology International to manufacture their aluminosilicate glass. This was the supplier responsible for the white iPhone 4 delay.

Furthermore, Corning's Gorilla Glass website does not list the iPhone as a product.

2. macrumors 68020

cyks

From the link: "Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass."

I'm not saying if they do or don't, but it's silly to use a website that clearly states that they don't list all products as proof that they don't.

3. macrumors 68000

404 Significance not found

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree that by itself, it wouldn't serve as proof. That's why I included the additional link regarding Lens Technology International.

5. macrumors regular

I just looked in to that link for 'Lens Technology International' and it looks like they just do coatings for plastic/glass/metal. Nothing there says that they weren't used to put a coating on Corning Gorilla Glass. I'm thinking that they were used either for the color coat under the glass or possibly for the oleophobic coating on top.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

From the Engadget article:
    and:

7. macrumors newbie

I read somewhere its the same tempered glass type used in military helicopters to withstand abuse.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Correct; that's from Apple's iPhone 4 design page:

9. macrumors 6502

I hope this isn't the case because these military helicopters aren't scratch resistant at all then. The iPhone has very poor scratch resistant when you compare it to Android phones with gorilla glass.

Everyone that says their screen is in perfection condition but doesn't use a screen protector is lying. You'll see hairless scratches when you reflect the screen off light.

10. macrumors newbie

Actually I do not use a screen protector and carry it around in my back pack, 4 months, still no scratches *knocks wood*

11. macrumors 68040

I don't know what they use but I want it on everything. I've had the iPhone 4 since get-go, without a case, in bags with keys, sharp objects, heavy pointed poking things, and it's scratch free.

Corning? ;)

12. macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Those 'hairless' scratches (you mean 'hairline') are actually in the oleophobic coating, not the glass. It's easy to scratch the coating, but these only show up in reflections. The glass beneath is a lot harder to damage.

13. macrumors regular

I was just going by what I found at the link you posted. There is no mention of glass making only coatings for plastics, glass, and metal.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

That is from the link I posted (I posted multiple links.)
    Let's be honest...it's not that hard.

15. macrumors 68020

Do you know the difference between scratched and smashed?

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

My post was in response to the word "damage." Scratches and smashes are both types of damage.

17. macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'm amazed that people still claim iPhone uses Gorilla Glass. If you'd ever seen any of the countless videos on the subject you'd know Gorilla glass does not shatter. The iPhone screen does. Simple as that.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. I thought it was common knowledge as well but I keep seeing posts here referring to iPhone Gorilla Glass...hence this thread

19. macrumors 65816

Yup, Gorilla Glass doesn't shatter....except that it does: (Dell Streak)

I have no idea whether the 4 and 4S have Gorilla Glass or not, but the original iPhone, and very likely the 3G and 3Gs, most certainly did. (Steve Jobs bio, where Jobs specifically said Corning Gorilla Glass was used in the original iPhone).

20. macrumors 603

or here where the presenter claims a four foot drop.
    Or another that fell out of a pocket.

It still really doesn't matter unless you've bought into Corning's marketing and believe it doesn't break (despite Corning saying it can)

21. macrumors 65816

I'd like to see a comparison of the strength of both types of glass. Why did they go from Corning to Lens? Better? Cheaper? Just curious.

22. macrumors 6502

While the iPhone does not use gorilla glass, it is stupid to say that gorilla glass does not shatter.

my BRAND NEW HTC Vivid with corning gorilla glass shattered today...
    Now I have to go beg to AT&T ;)

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

SquareTrade reported that iPhone 4 glass (non-Gorilla) broke 82 percent more than iPhone 3GS glass (Gorilla), so my guess would be that they switched to Lens because it was cheaper.

24. macrumors 603

Interesting, do you know if they normalized the data (i.e. 82% more reports for the same number of owners), or if it's skewed by a higher number of iphone4's with SquareTrade warranties vs 3GS?

The linked article doesn't say which way they based the 82% figure.

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

They compared the % of insured 3GS owners with the % of insured 4 owners who filed broken glass claims.