Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'm still not clear on what SGMD's point is, or why it's significant.

Generally speaking, some people appear to believe that iphone front/rear glass wouldn't break if Apple used Corning's branded aluminosilicate glass (Gorilla Glass). Since it can break, then the belief is that Apple isn't using Gorilla glass. This then forms the basis for arguments that iphones are inferior to certain android counterparts.

This hinges the assumption that Gorilla glass wouldn't break if used on an iphone. Since Gorilla glass can and does break on other phones, I'm not sure this assumption holds true.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This appears to be a common misconception.

iPhone iterations prior to the iPhone 4 used Corning Gorilla Glass, as evidenced on page 471 of the Steve Jobs biography.

With the iPhone 4, Apple began using Lens Technology International to manufacture their aluminosilicate glass. This was the supplier responsible for the white iPhone 4 delay.

Furthermore, Corning's Gorilla Glass website does not list the iPhone as a product.

http://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

For example, this figure also includes workers in Texas who manufacture processors for iOS products, Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone, and FedEx and UPS employees. Together with the 210,000 iOS jobs generated by the app economy, these 304,000 jobs make a total of 514,000 U.S. jobs created or supported by Apple

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
http://www.apple.com/about/job-creation/

For example, this figure also includes workers in Texas who manufacture processors for iOS products, Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone, and FedEx and UPS employees. Together with the 210,000 iOS jobs generated by the app economy, these 304,000 jobs make a total of 514,000 U.S. jobs created or supported by Apple

Damn it arn you're too fast! As soon as I saw that I raced to this thread to post it. You beat me by 6 minutes. :p

I don't know how much more evidence people need that Apple not only uses Gorilla Glass for all of its iOS devices, but Steve Jobs is personally responsible for the use and development of Gorilla Glass for mobile devices.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I'd imagine this is because they would have to have gorilla glass manufactured by corning and sent to them. The iPhone 4/4S uses a manufacturing process that laminates the glass right onto the screen. This reduces size and also leads to that "painted on" appearance of the iPhones screen. They probably couldn't do that with gorilla glass

Serianni

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I work at Verizon and see gorilla glass on a daily basis. My theory that Apple uses Croning Glass in all their products. Why you ask? Because Apple strives to have all of the top of the line hardware in their products and Corning is boasting to be the best in the display world. Apple always chooses anonymity so it doesn't suprise me that they wouldnt be listed on the Corning site.
ALSO
Gorilla Glass does shatter. Ive had umpteen shattered RAZRs in here because people that they were indestructable basically! HAHA

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I don't care what it is, it works. Mine nor my wifes phone have suffered so much as a scratch, until yesterday. I left mine on the car and drove off, shattered about 1/4 of it. Daily use neither has so much as a scratch and we don't use screen covers. She lets hers float around in her purse with all her other crap, still nothing. I'm sold regardless what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.