Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Oh, it's one of these threads again.

Yep. Nothing but a lot of hot air and wasting time. In full disclosure, I read the OP's post and then skipped immediately to the end. Yet, I would be willing to bet my assessment of the entire thread is accurate.

kdarling

macrumors P6
4.8" seems way too large for a phone. As much as I would enjoy an increased iPhone screen size, I would not like something that big!

Don't forget it's 16:9, so it's not as big as you think.

At 4.8" diagonal, that's 2.35" wide. Only 0.07" wider than a Galaxy Nexus screen.

More importantly, that's only 0.04" wider than the entire iPhone 4S case.

So if they managed to make the screen full width with almost no bezel, it'd be just a fraction wider than the current iPhone.

MojoDojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Ever heard of something called Retina Display?

Exactly!

Steve Jobs said when he unveiled the iPhone 4 that the dpi exceeded what the human eye could see...

"What's the point?"

I love the Retina Display on my iPhone 4S but the color reproduction is nothing compared to Samsung's Super AMOLED screens. Toss in full HD resolution on a 4.8-inch display, and provided they can get close to pushing the display all the way to the edges so the phone isn't monstrous like the ridiculous Galaxy Note, it's going to be positively gorgeous.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Another one of these?!

Can't we at least wait to know something about the next iPhone prior to starting threads like these?

It blows my mind how terrified of change some people are. Why oh why would someone complain about getting a screen that's potentially TOO high of quality?!? Who cares? Still be less expensive then a 4s AND believe it or not you don't have to buy it!

iPhone will you fluff words like retina because of the aspect ratio. 1080p uses the assumption of a 16:9 aspect which android uses.

Regardless get a phone that works for you. Apple Android Windows, doesn't matter.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It important to me that my mobile phone be mobile. I think the Galaxy S2 is too big. It looks like the S3 is going to be even worse. But I will reserve judgement until I see one. If it is a bit bigger screen with a much smaller bezel, it might just about be OK in size.

It will still have Android on it though. I prefer iOS.

In Like Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
It important to me that my mobile phone be mobile. I think the Galaxy S2 is too big. It looks like the S3 is going to be even worse. But I will reserve judgement until I see one. If it is a bit bigger screen with a much smaller bezel, it might just about be OK in size.

It will still have Android on it though. I prefer iOS.

I just had an sgs2 in my hands and it's not too big at all, maybe it's just You

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I still get battery lust from all my Droid friends, what good is all that power when you can only use it for an extremely limited time.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Take a look at the current Galaxy S II. It's fast, has a great quality screen and is very thin. What are you basing your comment on?

Specs... what are specs....? Numbers on paper. Unless it translates into sales, and customer needs/wants, they mean nothing. Just like every other 'iPhone killer' to date.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Yes specs are unimportant, unless apples specs are better, then they are the most important thing.

Just like the OS, its the most important, unless the other guys have a great OS then its not important at all.

Sheesh, when will you all learn :rolleyes:

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Specs... what are specs....? Numbers on paper. Unless it translates into sales, and customer needs/wants, they mean nothing. Just like every other 'iPhone killer' to date.

I think arguably many Galaxy S.X devices do compete with the "iPhone 3" (I'm going to assume you mean the iPhone 3G or 3GS). Operating systems aside, the Galaxy SII provides a very fluid user experience and many consumers have adopted them.

Obviously user experience > specs alone, but don't discount these Samsung Galaxy phones.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Impressive.

I had android before (hTc EVO 3D, nexus S) loved OS & the 4"+ HD LCD but I gave it up and switched back to iPhone (64GB, 4S) because I wanted Siri and being an Apple user I missed iTunes (UI, Library).

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I really, really hope that MR opens up a dedicated sub-forum for these threads discussing the iPhone versus other manufacturers' models....

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
If they can max out screen size while keeping the over size of the phone at a minimum just like in that pic, then the Galaxy S line will lead the way for others to follow once again. Edge to edge screen is truly amazing. Windows Phone needs a device like this. Specs may not matter to you NOW, but they help FUTURE PROOF a phone for a longer period. Just take a look at your iPhone 4. If it ran class leading specs at it's release, you wouldn't have Apple telling you you that the iPhone 4 will not have certain features because of hardware limitation. How ridiculous. People that keep talking this "specs don't matter" argument, don't truly think ahead. Stop grabbing your ankles for Apple and start demanding more for your $$$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.