Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
It is that time of year again Ladies and Gentlemen! The 6S and 6S Plus pre order thread. There will be excitement, there will be anger, despair and mass OCD flight tracking. Over a million refresh keys will be replaced and touch screen glass cracked in search for information. "When will my iPhone arrive?" But this is just the intro, "It's happening", it will all kick off on September 9th. But here is the thread.

As is mentioned in one of the old Jim Henson Wilkins Coffee commercials, "It's autumn and the nuts are beginning to fall." Welcome to the fall and the iPhone 6S / Plus.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I wonder how many At&t customers who had grandfathered contracts, and such, are going to do this time around. I would rather have an unlocked version and keep what I have. May have to go with that Next Plan, thing.
I paid AT&T an early termination fee to own my iPhone 6 Plus outright. I'm going to sell it unlocked ... or give it to my wife.

Bass1293

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Got a little crack in the very top corner of my 6 screen so I'm going to get that repaired and then sell it to make way for the 6S. 64GB Grey version.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
just sold my iPhone 6 Plus can't wait if they have 32 GB that be nice if not go for 64GB wondering on the price.

You're either brave OR that's not your only phone.
I'm holding onto my current iPhone until I have that 6s Plus in my hand.

Reactions: Mr.C

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Plan to preorder a 6S Plus and re-up on my grandfathered UDP as long as AT&T allows. So this means I must go through the AT&T store to do so, but I am used to that anyway.

Will go with AT LEAST 64GB, but may opt for 128GB depends on what Apple puts out and how the pricing structure is. If it's same as last year with 16/64/128 lineup, then I may stick with the 64GB just like my 4S and 5S were/are.

64GB has actually been plenty for me. Despite having over 1300 songs, 42 videos, 700 photos, and 100 apps, I still have 15GB free on my 5S. However, with the 6S Plus, I am sure the file sizes of videos/photos/apps will all be bigger than they are now.

Do you usually go to an AT&T store or order it from them online?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I did for the 5 before. Pretty neat experience.

My last experience (Apple Store launch day) was horrible. It was nothing like the previous years. Instead of being fun I encountered (sadly, it was the younger group) a mad dash for the mall doors, knocking people out of the way and smashing and running over others. After crushing themselves against the door they pleaded with the rest of the line to move back to give them breathing room.
So, I vowed to never go near an Apple Store on launch day again.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I understand.. Thing is, I use my iPhone while running /gym etc.. Don't know if plus will be comfortable in such usages.. Obviously the biggest advantage of plus are OIS and battery life.. If 6s gets these features, my choice will be obvious as I am not so much worried about that extra size in a phone.. For that I have my iPad.. It's only the extra features of plus that's making me think

Same here so I picked up a small "fanny pack" (well it's really a sports belt similar to the one I use now with my iPhone 5s) to accommodate the 6s Plus.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I was in much the same position, do you have an Apple Watch? As this is what I wear in the gym instead.

That was a good suggestion.
I use my Apple Watch and iPhone. I listen to music. The Apple Watch uses bluetooth earphones which tends to drain the battery faster. So, I use my iPhone for music along with wired earphones.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Will I be able to pre-order from Apple an unlocked IPhone 6S and pay full retail for phone? (need unlocked version for foreign travel for work)

Thanks.

Burrstone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
Ok, I pre ordered on AT&T's site last and it was horrible. I was in the large group of people who per-ordered at 3AM eastern, so many so (a later reported record breaking pre order from AT&t) that their system failed stopped processing orders until later in the morning. So some people's orders placed after right around 3AM didn't process until WAY later while some who ordered at like 3:45, 4AM and way later processed and would ship before those in the initial big group.

I was put in the Oct. 15th-31st (if I remember correctly off the top of my head) category at first while people who ordered from AT&T way after me had a release day date for delivery. The reps just told customers whatever they felt like with no consequence (which usually turned out to be false). AT&T REFUSED to sort out who ordered at what time and fix it. I will say that someone from AT&T's Presidents office (I think he was an intern) called me after I wrote an angry email to the President telling them how they screwed over a loyal customer who has been getting an iPhone from them on release day for years. I still was offered no earlier ship date or a bill credit when I asked for one, AT&T doesn't care.

I will say I was impressed that I was told they were looking at what went wrong to ensure this doesn't happen again. I was even honestly asked what could be done from a customer stand point to make the experience better... I suggested better communication and maybe a loyalty system so that on pee-order day the "loyal" customers are guaranteed their phone will be shipped before someone who is a first time customer. Maybe "loyal" customers could stand in a seperate line at AT&T stores bypassing the regular line. Now, define a "loyal" customer. lol Is it someone who's been with AT&T a certain amount of time? Someone who's bought a certain amount of iPhones? I'm sure it'll involve NEXT, as they LOVE shoving that down people's throat's. lol

Anyway, I had the 6plus per-ordered, cancelled it, and was able to p/u a regular 6 at an AT&T store. This worked out better because I played with both phones in the store and the plus was just too much phone for me. It felt uncomfortable in my pocket (that phone was a pocket whore as everyone was putting it in their pockets lol) and I couldn't really use it with just one hand, it felt too awkward (and I'm 6'2" and 'I wouldn't really say I have small hands). I like to use my phone in one hand when I'm on the go, usually holding something in my other hand, I don't want to stop and use another hand to use my phone. To each their own though... My sister ordered a 6 plus shortly after I got mine. I told her to rethink it because it's too big, "but I need the 128gb..." I actually heard that one a lot, I don't know why. The 6 comes in 128gb!!! "no, it doesn't, you need the plus for that." I've been told by many people. We'll I have the 128gb 6, so they make it. My sister loves her 6 plus, I think she looks like an effing idiot when she uses it! ...but I'm not telling her... To me it looks like a soccer mom phone.

Reactions: TechnicallyTee

Burrstone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
I paid AT&T an early termination fee to own my iPhone 6 Plus outright. I'm going to sell it unlocked ... or give it to my wife.

If I may ask, why not just use next, pay for the phone monthly, use the money paid upfront for something else, pay only sales tax, then on the next release date you only pay sales tax and maybe the 12th monthly next payment depending on your billing cycle?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
If Apple release a darker space grey (like the new iPod Touch) I'll be getting that if not I'll go for the gold this year.

As for which phone, I have a 6 as the minute, I'm tempted to go for the 6s Plus.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is going to be my first iPhone, so I have a few questions about the pre-order and also how availability has been in recent years.

If it goes up for pre-order on Friday 11th September, presumably release day will be Friday 18th, if this is the case, do you think the phone would land on my doorstep on that day, or could it be a day or 2 before (assuming I manage to place a pre-order of course). Its just because I'm heading away for the weekend on Friday, and would be chomping at the bit to get home and collect it.

Do you think there is any chance I could walk into an Apple Store on Friday 18th, with no pre-order, and walk out with a 64Gb Silver iPhone 6S? Has this been possible recently? I always hear about them increasing order numbers every year, so wondered if you think there will be supply issues.

Can you pre-order and collect in store?

Thanks
Stewart

Edit: Also, if I buy it through a 3rd party (Carphone Warehouse for example), if something goes wrong, can I still take it to the Genius Bar and get it swapped out, or would I have to go through CPW?

If you pre-order one from the first batch, you will get it on the 18th.

Last year, I reserved the iPhone 6 and went to pick it up, no issues.

I always pre-order and reserve, if I get one from the first batch, I cancel the reserve. If, for some reason, I don't get one from the first batch, I still keep the pre-order and try and get one buy going to my local Apple Store.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
When I said that, yours was showing the sheepish sheep that is in my avatar.
When I said that, yours was showing the sheepish sheep that is in my avatar.

Must have been a glitch, I have only ever had two. This current and the previous had my football team's old logo instead. No
Offence was taken, but I would not steal an avatar :)

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
That was a good suggestion.
I use my Apple Watch and iPhone. I listen to music. The Apple Watch uses bluetooth earphones which tends to drain the battery faster. So, I use my iPhone for music along with wired earphones.

I notice that too! But I use my Apple Watch mainly just to recieve notifications and Apple Pay when I cannot be asked to get my phone out xD I use it for very little else, other than as a watch (who'd have thought) so it works for me with battery life. You possibly use your's more than I do! Why wired though? Does that not get in the way when running? (We are all different I am just wondering)

You could try wireless headphones to the phone if the range is good? My Gym is fairly empty when I go so I tend to just leave my phone on the treadmill itself so I could bluetooth to that instead. Hope it helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.