'The iPhone Antenna Song' Writer Profiled

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hours before Apple's iPhone 4 press conference, we pointed to a YouTube video of "The iPhone Antenna Song", a humorous two-minute song written by Jonathan Mann, who has been writing and performing a new song every day for the past year and a half.

Mann's effort received new prominence when Apple opened the press conference by playing the clip, with Steve Jobs noting, "We saw that on YouTube this morning and couldn't help but want to share it."

The Los Angeles Times profiles Mann, an "unabashed Apple fanboy" who uses his iPhone 4 for shooting and editing footage.
    Mann notes that he wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device. He reports that he was contacted by Apple early Friday asking permission to use the clip in its press conference.
    According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one.

Article Link: 'The iPhone Antenna Song' Writer Profiled

2. macrumors regular

"According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one."

I would be disappointed if he couldn't purchase an iPad with the money he made today.

Help the guy out by purchasing his song:
    http://jonathanmann.bandcamp.com/track/the-iphone-4-antenna-song

3. macrumors 68020

spillproof

Congrats to him. Not many little people get showcased by Apple. His video was funny and relatable and/or sarcastic to many (while others found it reeking with fanboyism and not the tiny bit funny :rolleyes:).

4. macrumors newbie

They should have put it on iTunes

Congrats to him, it's a great funny song. It would have been good to get it into the iTunes store so people could have purchased it and he could have capitalized on the worldwide publicity.

I have bought the song. The long way with pay pal

5. macrumors 6502

3 fricking comments?

this is my beef with macrumors.. any little antenna rumor.... no matter how implausible.. or remote.. they spread across the front page like no body's business... (or theirs LOL)... making me think its not just consumer reports that likes the attention gotten by being negative... but now that we are sick of the ugliness promoted... we get the chance to laugh and what does macrumors do? bury this LOL

this song is fricking brilliant.

if you dont like it.. return it!

YES!

6. macrumors newbie

CrizzoDesigns

7. macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

♫If You Don't Want an iPhone 4! Don't Buy It!
    If You Bought it and You Don't Like It! Bring it back!

8. zed
    macrumors 6502

nicely done :) :apple:

9. macrumors regular

My signature has been saying this for a long time. Although it's not quite as catchy as this song.

10. macrumors 65816

ob81

Well it is Saturday morning. People are off work spending time with thier families and doing activities.

Yay this guy made a song.

Posting from the gym. I lost and had to get off the court. Love the iPhone 4!

11. macrumors regular

New Song

He now has a song titled "Steve Jobs"! And it´s pretty good.

12. macrumors regular

TripHop

Jonathan Why Don't You Podcast Your Songs?

Jonathan Why Don't You Podcast Your Songs? With all your video editing and website production talent I don't understand why you don't make your daily songs a podcast. I'm sure it would be very popular and help increase your notoriety, fame and higher profile in the infotainment world. :)

13. macrumors 6502

"Rumpled apartment"? Interesting way of words there.

It still kinda amazes me that Apple used this video to open the press conference. I still can't figure out what I think about that.

14. macrumors newbie

ctrobins

Nice job Jonathan Mann! I loved your video, and the message! Very funny!

15. macrumors 68010

This guy could be the next Justin Bieber...for senior citizens!

16. macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Good tune. I'm happy for the guy. As someone said, Apple usually keeps the press conferences "business as usual", so for this little tidbit to open it up was nicely played.

I hope he makes a million dollars.

Blonde Buddhist

17. macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get some sort of compensation from Apple!

18. macrumors 6502a

saxon48

19. macrumors newbie

20. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Apple played this conference a bit looser than usual with the profanity and Jesus reference. The thing I liked best about that was they backed up their "pointed" comments with HARD DATA.

I invite ACCURATE mild rudeness. In your face erroneous critics!

We rock and we know it. And can prove it.

I like that attitude from Apple, at least in response to a blown out of proportion controversy.

Rocketman

Sometimes extreme is what is called for.

21. macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I'm with ya.

My favorite piece of data was the fact they quoted Consumer Reports saying that it's the best smartphone out right now.

Blonde Buddhist

22. macrumors newbie

I have to say, as someone who has read MacRumors for YEARS, it's quite exciting to, along with everything else that's happened, see a post about me. Yay MacRumors!

23. macrumors 6502

Funny song. Too bad I'm a minority in this. I would return it but like many, I was jaded with how great this new phone would be. It finally did everything I was used to doing on my windows mobile (yeah,yeah..) so I sold my old phone, switched carriers. I needed it on the go for a trip so I bought a bunch of apps and bigger costing ones like tomtom. Car charger, etc. Found out I kept getting people saying they had trouble hearing me. Read all the things about the attenna. And etc.
    Long story short, Steve Job said I made the iphone4 better. It has an attenna issue.Not gonna really say its defective. Here's a bumper.

K. So I return the iphone4. Ops. Can't get my money back for everything else including another phone. $100's lost. Yay for switching to Apple. Oh and I bought my bumper. At least I can get my money back for that.

24. macrumors 6502

right and you just joined today? are you really THE Jonathan Mann?

I'm a HUGE fan :D

25. macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Without the background info, I had thought I was 99% positive that this guy was secretly hired by Apple 'under the table' to make this video.

I guess I'll have to back away from that ... but we still don't know if Apple met him in a dark alley and handed him a briefcase though.