Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Just heard it on MacBreak with Leo Laporte. They had David Pogue there from the new york times. He's one of the fortunate few who actually PLAYED with the phone, and he officially acknowledged that the phone can read PDF documents.

This is HUGE by my book. I've been DYING for a comfortable PDF reader for so long now!

Woot Woot!

Oded S.

Reactions: Russtopher

ArthurS

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
Now if it only also is able to open Office documents (and comes with navigation software), it will be perfect

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
wow, so impressive! :rolleyes:

My Samsung D600 GSM phone can open PDF, word, ppt, excel (office suite) files...

on another note, I'm flying from Australia to USA, JUST TO BUY the iPhone when it's released. Hope I can buy it outright!

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006

My Samsung D600 GSM phone can open PDF, word, ppt, excel (office suite) files...

on another note, I'm flying from Australia to USA, JUST TO BUY the iPhone when it's released. Hope I can buy it outright!

Wouldn't it be easier to have a friend in the US purchase it? or even a member of the forums and then you pay a small premium.

Tourist

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006

But it will be sim-locked so you will not be able to use it on a Network, also when you get back to OZ.......

Also you will need an EDGE network to make this thing anything close to usable, the networks across the ditch here in NZ have jumped over EDGE and gone to 3G, without an EDGE network you will be back to GPRS speeds, which in real life aint much better than dial-up, which is not pretty....

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
But it will be sim-locked so you will not be able to use it on a Network, also when you get back to OZ.......

Also you will need an EDGE network to make this thing anything close to usable, the networks across the ditch here in NZ have jumped over EDGE and gone to 3G, without an EDGE network you will be back to GPRS speeds, which in real life aint much better than dial-up, which is not pretty....

GSM is fine by me mate!

I'm assuming Apple will off the phone contracted with cingular, and unlocked RRP (high cost outright)...

If I'm wrong, then thats just too bad!

oh, I'm actually visiting the USA for the first time for a friends wedding, not 'just' to buy the iPhone... i just thought it would sound cool to say that :)

Also wanna see silicon valley, cupertino, some disney's, some kick arse coasters (six flags?) hrmm

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
PDF! Sweeeeet!

I'm so glad to hear the iPhone will read PDF docs! I was thinking that would be a very useful feature! Now if Apple would only put the iPhone features and design (minus the cellphone part) into the iPod I would buy it yesterday! I will NOT touch any cell provider contracts with a 10 foot pole - I don't care if the iPhone could control gravity and turn lead into gold. NO CONTRACTS!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I don't care if the iPhone could ... turn lead into gold. NO CONTRACTS!
But... wouldn't the gold pay for the contract?

Anyway, the PDF ability should come as no surprise, given that they're using a chunk of OS X underneath. Plus, anymore, PDF capability is just table stakes.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
But... wouldn't the gold pay for the contract?

Anyway, the PDF ability should come as no surprise, given that they're using a chunk of OS X underneath. Plus, anymore, PDF capability is just table stakes.

I don't object to paying for the service I use. I just refuse to be "locked in". Cingular would probably get my business for many years to come if I could sign up with not contract. Instead they won't get my business at all!

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
GSM is fine by me mate!

I'm assuming Apple will off the phone contracted with cingular, and unlocked RRP (high cost outright)...

If I'm wrong, then thats just too bad!

oh, I'm actually visiting the USA for the first time for a friends wedding, not 'just' to buy the iPhone... i just thought it would sound cool to say that :)

Also wanna see silicon valley, cupertino, some disney's, some kick arse coasters (six flags?) hrmm

It really didn't sound cool at all, it made you sound kinda psychopathic. Or should I say sychophantic.
Remember to breathe and learn a little patience the iPhone will get to Australia like everywhere else, perhaps by then it may even be a Rev B or later product. Breathe slowly and deeply and make sure you don't crap your pants, it will arrive. Until then maybe stick to collecting coasters.;)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
OS X uses quartz to draw 2D graphics, which is based on the PDF format anyway.

So this functionality would probably be easier to put in than leave out.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Plus, anymore, PDF capability is just table stakes.

Flash is key. Behind the scenes, I expect Adobe to be in some very interesting discussions with Apple at the moment especially when you consider points like this:

Adobe, which snapped up Macromedia at the end of 2005, has already established a strong beachhead in the telephony world via a deal with Japanese telco giant NTT DoCoMo (DCM - commentary - Cramer's Take). A compact version of Macromedia's flash multimedia player, called Flash Light, is now on millions of phones in Japan. What's more, DoCoMo is using a server version of the player, called FlashCast, to push content to the company's "ichannels," which include news, sports, weather and so on.

Every time a Japanese consumer hits an ichannel, Adobe collects a bit of revenue. To be sure, Adobe's mobile and device solutions business unit is still a small part of the San Jose, Calif.-based company's revenue. In the fourth quarter, mobile revenue was about $12.1 million, or 2% of overall sales, and $32.7 million on the year.

But that number is a bit misleading. Purchase accounting rules related to the Macromedia acquisition kept some $59 million off the income statement in 2006, much of which would have been attributed to the mobile group, says Adobe Vice President Mike Saviage.

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/newsanalysis/techsoftware/10332395.html

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Flash is key.
I agree - far more people would use Flash than PDFs (even though a lot would use PDFs).

My own favorite dead horse to beat is Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG). Vector graphics, animation, controls, codeable with JavaScript, XML-based, can be embedded within a single page's HTML, so no need for multiple fetches, open standard... it's a beautiful thing. It continues to irk me that browser support is still so lacking, especially on something like a touch-screen iPhone, where it could flourish as a web-app front end.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It really didn't sound cool at all, it made you sound kinda psychopathic. Or should I say sychophantic.
Remember to breathe and learn a little patience the iPhone will get to Australia like everywhere else, perhaps by then it may even be a Rev B or later product. Breathe slowly and deeply and make sure you don't crap your pants, it will arrive. Until then maybe stick to collecting coasters.;)

Wow, you're no fun, Mr Realistic.

And its ability to read PDFs isn't even news, or at least it's not new information regarding the iPhone. It may be news to you, though. How can they use any version of OS X without it being able to read PDFs, right? And besides, others have reported it already.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
palm can read PDF, DOC. XLS, if iPhone to be better, it should be able to read all of them, altho I doubt the DOC and XLS part. :rolleyes:

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Ohh my god it can read pdf files!!!!!!

This is like the best news since we landed on the moon.

A Couple more formats and you will be on your way to actually being useful.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
I'm so glad to hear the iPhone will read PDF docs! I was thinking that would be a very useful feature! Now if Apple would only put the iPhone features and design (minus the cellphone part) into the iPod I would buy it yesterday! I will NOT touch any cell provider contracts with a 10 foot pole - I don't care if the iPhone could control gravity and turn lead into gold. NO CONTRACTS!

if it would be able to turn lead into gold then you dont have to worry about contracts you can easily buy your own phone company. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.