Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I was just watching Arn's spot on CNBC talking about the iPhone when I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PmIHm8s2hA&mode=related&search=

While I hate to think it is true, the video presents a good point. The first iPhone could just be an iPod plus a Phone... nothing new.

Lets look back at what Kevin Rose said, he claims to have seen the phone and I for one trust his insight. Durring an episode of Diggnation he hesitantly told viewers the phone will be:
-Small as ****
-Have two batteries (one charger)
-Slide out keyboard
-4 gig /8 gig models

Based on his comments about a touch screen one can assume it will be a 16:9 screen. He was not sure if it was a touch screen but then speculated it had touch sensitivity on the sides. So what if the design looked a lot like the old nano's with the silver part sliding sideways out. The screen is 16:9 taking up most of the front faceplate and the sides are touch screen. Cool design and probably good enough to ship.

Here's where the CNBC report comes in. If apple puts together an iPod and a phone there is no need to add other functionality. Sure, a lite version of OS X would be great but it is much more like apple to leave that till version 2.0.

It can be argued that is similar method was taken with the Xbox. Microsoft produced a minimal gaming console with the first xbox. It worked great and stood up against the competition but there was no functionality that users had not expected. When the 360 came out it revolutionized the living room. Suddenly the 360 is a console for the whole family. Mom can display photo's from vacation to grandma on the HDTV, Timmy can play his favorite games against his brothers and sisters with wireless controllers, and Dad can download the new releases instead of driving down to Blockbuster and best of all watch them in HD. It wasn’t their first product that revolutionized the market, it was their second one.

The iPhone just might take the same route. Dont build your hopes up folks, the iPhone may be nothing more than a phone and an iPod. Lets just hope I am wrong.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
...the iPhone may be nothing more than a phone and an iPod. Lets just hope I am wrong.

I hope you're not wrong.
That's what I'd like.
I'd sell off my 5G iPod and my phone to have the functionality in one device (if the feature set was right). I have no need of some of the more exotic features people are talking about. Keep it simple and make it work well.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
As stated in another thread, the iPhone is already out and Linksys has rights to the name. Read.

I'm not too hype'd about the new Apple phone either. Neither the iTV, but Leopard...:D

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
I think iPhone 2.0 might be the wrong name for the second iPhone. My guess is it'll be more like iPhone Pro (or PowerPhone ;) ) and it will be targeted at the people who need a PDA-like phone while the iPhone (1.0) will be targeted at people who want the more basic phone.

It's not much different than Apple planning and designing a MacBook when the MacBook Pro wasn't even released.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I think iPhone 2.0 might be the wrong name for the second iPhone. My guess is it'll be more like iPhone Pro (or PowerPhone ;) ) and it will be targeted at the people who need a PDA-like phone while the iPhone (1.0) will be targeted at people who want the more basic phone.

It's not much different than Apple planning and designing a MacBook when the MacBook Pro wasn't even released.

That makes sense and could quite possibly be the route apple takes. I really hope it isnt.

Here is another thought, apple consistently advertises that they are not after the pro market (pro in terms of guys who wear suits to work and deal with a lot of numbers). Apple wants to stay hip, it is almost guaranteed their ultimate phone is going to have the same ideas put forward as the sidekick. Therefore, it is not going to be a PDA with an iPod and a phone built in. They dont want that market. Let the business people have their Treo’s and Blackberries.

As much as I would like an apple PDA, I am not sure it is going to happen. I am even more doubtful that we will see it tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.