The iPod / Mac Education Deal UK - Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Spanky Deluxe, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok, so the UK Apple store seems to have finally started doing a similar thing to the US's deal that runs every year.

However, I have one question. In the details it states the following:

Does this mean the iBook Combo drive or any 12" iBooks? I've got a feeling this is a note left over from the US's similar deal which started before the current iBooks came out and I believe the US Education store used to offer a CD-ROM (not Combo) based iBook.

Any ideas?

I can't call them up right now since their offices are closed.

This offer really sweetens the deal since it means that I could effectively get a brand new 12" iBook for about £520!! (After selling the iPod on eBay or to a friend)

Phil

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The 12" iBook combo is the only 12" iBook. So only the 14" iBook qualifies. The price point is at £844 when you think about it.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It says iBook CD, it means iBook CD. I'd assume someone got lazy and put up the same message as is in the US store, just didn't change it to reflect the non-existence of the 12" iBook CD model in the UK store.

But I'd call and ask.

4. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I had the same question and I called and asked about it and they said that the 12" iBook did qualify for the promotion. Although it does say CD models, I think it just meant the old model that did not have the Combo, the one with the CD-Rom only.
    I hope I'm right because I just ordered a 12" iBook with an iPod...

If for some reason the guy I called at apple is wrong and it does not qualify, do I have room to argue and get the discount regardless?

Thanks

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

The info posted on the page is the old text from when the US promotion started. All models of the iBook now qualify since the CD-ROM model of the iBook was discontinued. Relax, order and enjoy your new iBook and iPod :)

6. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I also just noticed that Apple has never reffered to their combo drive as a CD drive, I know Apple wouldnt want to sell themselves short.
    If they ment Combo drive, I would assume they would say Combo drive and not change the lingo.

7. assscat macrumors regular

I've ordered the 12" iBook & iPod mini from the UK Edu store. The sales rep I spoke to assured me that the 12" iBook does qualify, something I asked him on more than one occassion. I wouldn't worry about it, the Apple store will have tape recorded the transactions if there are any problems.

8. anjam macrumors member

What config did you go for? How long before it arrives, might get one.

9. assscat macrumors regular

Stock 12" but with a 80GB HD. Ordered last Wed and sales rep said I should have it by the end of this week.