The iPod Situation

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GiantXX5, Feb 4, 2003.

1. GiantXX5 macrumors newbie

:( Well no new iPods today. Yesterday I said if the new ones didn't come out today I was just gonna go ahead and get one. I'm so tired of waiting but, lol, I feel like I'm gonna get burnt and after waiting so long. The two things that make me uneasy about going to buy an new iPod is the fact that there stock is so low in many places and the fact that the 5GB iPod has been on hold for close to two weeks now it seems. However, there really haven't been to many great rumors that new iPods are coming. I wonder when they could come? My main question is, if I'm gonna buy an iPod now where should I buy it?? I would like to buy it somewhere I could return it or get some sord of a refund if the new iPods come out in the next week or so. Or should I just buy it from Apple now that the wait has gone from 5-7 day wait down to 1-2 day wait. And if there are new ones coming maybe mine will be delayed by apple like so many others report. Any comments or whatever are welcome, I know there are a lot of other people in my seat too.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There might be a new iPod, but the one that is currently out is also an awesome device. Don't think you are going to be getting ripped off if you buy one now.

3. austincpy macrumors member

buy at compusa, they have a policy if that a new one comes out, they'll replace yours, or something very close to that

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

go get one, love it, and laugh at the people who won't buy one because "a new update is [always] around the corner"...

if there's an update soon, it'll be a bigger iPod, no real new features. No iPod 800 or anything, and i just cannot see it getting color screen/video capability. So if the 20 gig (or less) will accomodate you, there's no reason to wait...

pnw

5. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

What if the new iPod is a video iPod too??

Would CompUSA still replace the old one if its functions are that different???

6. stefanas macrumors newbie

Amazon just hid their price

Amazon just hid their price on the 20GB iPod. They do this when it gets lowered. You have to add to your basket and then you can see the new lower price.

The new price is $473. Also, they have no more stock of the 5 and 10 GB for macs.

7. geocave macrumors newbie

Wait a week...

I'll bet that it is coming out within the next week or two...

It would keep the new product momentum going for Apple. I would at least wait until the end of February.

8. djniche macrumors regular

yup they are right. I would wait, like i'm doing. I've sold my 5gig and waiting for the 40gig to come out and it will bring the prices down. I would say later this month they will be an update.

9. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

All things considered...

I'm glad I sold my 5 gigger last year. Got a feeling this next revision will be worth the wait.

Hope I'm right. If not, the earth will prolly keep turning.

10. Bear macrumors G3

Re: All things considered...

You know something, depending on when you sold it, think of how much time you didn't have its use.

I'm not sure when I'm going to update my 10 gig iPod (top of the line when I got it.) However, iat least I'm getting to use it.

If I sold it off in anticipation of the next bigger iPod, who knows how long I'd have to wait and live without it.

This goes back to how long do you wait before buying something. If you listen to the rumors you may never buy anything.

Having said all that, I'd say the best time to buy anything from Apple is within a month of its announcement. I say this since the likely hood of an update happening in less than 6 months is very small.

I guess the question is, do you want to be able to have an iPod and use it? Or do you want to be able to say you have the biggest baddest piece of equipment around?

How long am I going to use my iPod before upgrading? A least a couple of years hopefully. But if it dies out of warrenty, I might just replace it instead of paying for a repair.

11. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Ooops. I'm not being very clear, Bear. I REALLY miss that little bugger. REALLY. I'm sorry I sold it in terms of having it around--how cool is it to link that lil' beeyatch up in your car and have 5 gigs of tunes at your fingertips?

But, like anything, I adjusted. Learned to exist without it.

So now that the rumor mill is in full production again regarding a new version, I'm all moist in anticipation. The ol' feelings are coming back. Got my iPod Jones on.

So, can I borrow YOURS while I wait?

:D

12. MacVault macrumors 65816

Where is the NEW IPOD?!!!

We had all these rumors but no new iPods yet? Where is the frickin thing Apple??? This is frustrating!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I, too have been waiting, what seems like forever, but it has actually only been since before MWSF. I am going to continue to wait, because, I want a 5 GB, but I am afraid that if I buy the 5 GB now, then in the updates the 5 GB will either get a touch-sensitive scroll wheel (which I don't have to have, but it would probably be pretty neat) or the 5 GB will be dropped and the 10 GB will be $299.

So I am hoping that the 5 GB will be discontinued, a 40 GB will be introduced and the 10 GB will be $299 or less.

Come on Apple, please give us some updates! :D

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I got a 10GB iPod for Christmas, and I love it. It's the best music device (portable) I've ever had.

As for updates to the iPods, I think it might be a while. Everyone seems to think the 40GB is just around the corner. Toshiba just announced the drives, so it might take some time.

Listen to this. Last January, Toshiba announced the 10GB and 20GB drives. They made their way into the iPods in March and July. So, If they just announced the 40GB drives in January, I wouldn't expect to seem them in iPods until at least mid-March.

15. MrBillGates macrumors member

Well either an update is around the corner or Apple's got a severe supply chain management problem (regarding the 5 gig iPod). Personally, I think we'll see something within 30 days. I've been holding out for a while now and a little longer isn't going to kill me (even though not having an iPod is frustrating as hell).

16. austincpy macrumors member

macfan25: I'm about to put a brand new 5 GB iPod (the iPod is brand new, no warranty, and used equipment that's in great condition and working smoothly (i'm a perfectionist, so it should really satisfy anyone) that i want to sell in the neighborhood of $200, so if you want dibs, post here, and anyone else)