The iSight magnet mount KO'd my PB's hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lbwhou, Aug 5, 2005.

1. lbwhou macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2005

Without thinking, I recently sat the iSight camera on a 12" 1.33 G4 PB using the device's magnetic mount. The computer froze up never to really start again. When I turned it on, I got the flashing question mark.

As it was still under warranty, I took it into the Apple Store where they determined it necessary to replace the 60G hard drive. I considered having a third party company retrieve the data from the disk but decided against it because of the $900.00 - $2,000.00 cost. I understood from the genius and a technician with whom I consulted, that the magnet (which is fairly weak) might possibly have affected the alignment of the drive - rendering it inoperable.

From subsequent research, I understand that the small magnet is probably incabable of affecting data on the disk. Although the event could be a coincidence, I suspect that it my instance, the magnet did pull/move the disk out of alignment.
  2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    sorry to hear that. i hope you get that fixed under apple care because there is no proof that the magnet killed the hd.

i hope you have backups of everything.