Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Ok i'm considering purchasing an iSight but like everyone else I have questions and the answers most likely are found in third party aps you guys may already have.

1. Is there an App to record video from a Fw cam? I don't know because i've never had a webcam much less a macwebcam.

2. Can it take photos? I know iits low res but i still wonder if i could take quick snapshots...most of those camera phones max out at 640x480 too? I would also think this is probably a 3rd party app.

and if any of the developers who got one? how is it? overall how would you rate it.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i think the iSight may have been improperly named. it's Alluminum/metal, and it has mesh like the PowerMac. it should not start with the letter "i". everything else that starts with "i"
white, and matches the consumer line. this obviously matches the new PowerMac. although i love the industrial look of both, they shouldve made the camera white IMHO. kids and joe everybody will be using this a lot more than any pros. then again, it's gonna take alot of paper routes for a kid to save up for one of these. this thing is over priced for it's demograph, it may be a flop. i think they wouldve done better with a $50 white plastic job.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
i think it was more importatn to match the powerbooks than anything and of course be high quality

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i cant wait till i get my isight this week. im already loving the audio part. ive talked to so many people from macrumors, its been great fun. great apple. this is probably one of the coolest things they have ever done if you ask me. this will change a lot of things in the world of internet.

iJon

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Re: the iSight thread

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
Ok i'm considering purchasing an iSight but like everyone else I have questions and the answers most likely are found in third party aps you guys may already have.

1. Is there an App to record video from a Fw cam? I don't know because i've never had a webcam much less a macwebcam.

2. Can it take photos? I know iits low res but i still wonder if i could take quick snapshots...most of those camera phones max out at 640x480 too? I would also think this is probably a 3rd party app.

and if any of the developers who got one? how is it? overall how would you rate it.
These are great questions. I was wondering the same things myself.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I bet Apple even cringed at the fact that they called it iSight. But come on, look how perfect this is:

"Eye" sight.

They had to do it.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I would like to have one of the iSights, too. They look really cool. But, first I want to hear people's thoughts on them.

I hope it won't be a flop. But, I dont think it will be though. :)

andrewlandry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2002
NYC
i don't think it will flop. it seems aimed more at pro users who need high-quality dependable video conferencing than to poor teens.

for a business user out of town, $150 doesn't seem unreasonable for no-hassle video conferencing that is extremely portable and high quality.

and for many casual users, $150 is in the impulse item cost-range. i'll probably get one in the next month or two, as my DV camera is proving to be sub-optimal for the task.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
iSight for Geeks

I really think that the iSight was designed with us Mac geeks in mind (as well as pro users). New technology usually starts with us, we run through the first beta versions, give our opinions, then they make a lower cost one (maybe). It's about paying a premium to have the newest and most amazing things. Apple know this. Look at the first iPods. 5GB for $399 (I think this was the original price for it....correct me if I'm wrong...). Because I'm a freak and spend all of my money with Apple, they know people like me will use it everywhere and spread the word.

The same will be true with Panther. Not everyone will need to upgrade, but I bet you that I'll see most of the MacRumors regulars at the usual "Apple Release Party" for the new OS. Then we'll talk it up on the boards, which in turns makes others run out and get it and so forth.

And IMHO, the iSight wont flop. It's a great product even if it's alittle over-priced (which again IMHO, it isn't). The possibilities are endless. Imagine the next iPod having the capabilities to record directly from the iSight??!?!!? That would be sick!

Developers, start your engines!

That all for now. I shall step down from the ol' soapbox.

I'm still alittle lightheaded from seeing what that G5 can do...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Hey what's wrong with this picture? A conference video setup that will only let you see on other person at a time? Two people is hardly a conference it's more of a discussion.

I was thinking how cool it would be to have a way for a group of us MacRumors fanatics to get together and talk to eachother as we tap away at MacRumors. Then I though I wonder how many people we could conference at once so I checked the site and I see no comments or photos of more then one person at a time. That really sucks. So much for that dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.