The Italian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Sep 3, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

The Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, F1... old school style. :D

Kimi's shafted again... you really have to feel for the guy when it comes to engine reliability this season, he's got the speed, he's doing everything he needs to do to catch Alonso, and the car keeps failing him. :rolleyes:

That said, McLaren have been massively strong at Monza all weekend and as well as testing last week. Ferrari demonstrated last year that it's possible to come from the back of the field and still finish second, so all's not lost for him... I suspect that Montoya will try and keep the field bunched up for as long as possible to allow Kimi to slice up through the field, he's got it all to do there's no denying but he's also got nothing to lose... if the car holds out, he should be good for 2nd, unless team orders come in to play of course. ;)

Again Alonso does exactly what he needs to do... and unless something happens to him in the race, it's very difficult to imagine him losing the championship now with only 4 races left after Monza.

Behind the McLarens things are looking surprisingly close between the Renaults, BAR-Honda's a Toyota and the 2 Ferrari's with only half a second separating 2nd through 7th.

BAR-Honda should be strong throughout the race, and I think Button may well be in with a shout of the podium, certainly he should be stronger than Alonso over race distance considering the grunt of that Honda engine. :eek: Ferrari looking reasonable, with Schumacher again driving the wheels off a shed :D a stonking lap set early in the session and he could well be in with a shout of a good points position should things go his way. :)

Race prediction.

1. Räikkönen (I reckon he might just do it) ;)
    2. Montoya, (And it'll be Montoya that helps him)
    3. Button
    4. Alonso
    5. Schumacher
    6. Barrichello
    7. Trulli
    8. Schumacher Jr.

Thoughts?

2. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Don't think Kimi's can get 1st this time...Probally he'll end up 3rd...thats wht i think the best he might be able to do...Alonso, might get P2 and if Montoya have no reliability issues and can get off the start well, he should be P1...Schumi? Hm...probally 6th or 7th...

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I missed the flippin' race :mad:

Oh well, I just read up on the results - pretty textbook for the season (Kimi with mechanical gremlins), except that all 20 cars finished.

Oh, and how about Pizzonia? Good drive but IMHO the best drive by a back-up goes to De La Rosa's 4th place earlier in the season at a track that escapes my memory.

Has anyone else read this bit of news? Hmmm, not exactly shocking but does Bernie know something we don't, or is he just blowing smoke?

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

*shakes head, whilst tut, tut, tutting loudly* :p

Yeah, both McLarens suffered with delaminations of the rear left tyre. McLaren have admitted it was probably down to set up, as opposed to problems with the tyres. Great drive by Montoya though, especially ballsy to continue on with a delaminating tyre at the fastest track of the year. :eek:

I honestly thought Kimi would have been able to slice up the field like Schumacher did last year though, but it just didn't happen, he got stuck behind Jacques and stayed there for 14 laps. :eek:

Had it not been for the tyre problems and Kimi spinning later on, I reckon he might have been good for the win though... (with team orders of course) he was on a 1 stopper and had the pace in clean air. The fact is though, he would have walked it had it not been for yet another 10 place penalty, a rule that just isn't fair and certainly isn't F1.

I was also really surprised at BAR-Honda's total lack of pace, I thought they'd have done really well on such a power circuit, but Button was complaining about the car in low-downforce configuration.

As expected no real improvement by Ferrari, and they're already playing down their chances at Spa this weekend (unless it rains, me crosses fingers and start chanting to the heavens) rumour has it though that new tyres are coming for the last 3 races, and the team sounds quite bullish about their prospects... :)

A 5th in Bahrain, sitting in for Montoya. You're right though... he was on fire that weekend, far quicker than Räikkönen all weekend too.

Bernie doesn't know...

Although I have no doubt in my mind that Kimi will be at Ferrari in '07. It just depends on who'll be his teammate that's all.

Schu isn't due to announce his intentions until next March, and I suspect his decision will depend on the potential of the F2006, but he's already said he'd welcome Kimi as teammate.

The Rossi option, well that all depends on how he performs in testing next season. :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd love it to come true. He has the passion for radical driving/riding that Ferrari drivers have lacked in recent years.

6. link92 macrumors 6502

I was hoping for more overtaking, but I knew it was unlikely with the '05 aero :(

I was expecting Williams to possibly get a Podium, they had been doing better than normal in all the practice sessions.

Kimi's result was what I expected, due to the overtaking.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very disappointing race performance from Webber considering his practice efforts. What exactly happened to him at the start? I was following it online but they didn't go into much detail other than saying he had to peel off for quick repairs. :(

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm surprised he didn't get penalty for almost causing an accident in the pits with Sato, he drove off whilst the lollipop was still down to try and beat Sato out... and both of them ended up side by side down the pit lane, with Webber then forcing Sato over the white line on the pit exit, unbelievable how both Webber and Williams got away with that one. :eek:

I believe that Webber tangled with DC at the first chicane, and needed a new nose.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

He has been driving/behaving much more aggressively recently. It's not cool at all. He comes across as a really nice guy so I'm guessing he's just getting more and more annoyed with Williams/BMW/Michelin, not that it really justifies his recent behaviour.

That's gotta suck. :(

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

What happened in the pits yesterday was pretty bad, he just drove through the lollipop, surprising that he didn't get a penalty (others have this season for almost the same thing) he deserved it.

He seems to have been involved in quite a few incidents this season hasn't he... :eek: I think it's like you say, he's just frustrated with the current Williams package... he's fast as f**k over one lap though.

That said, I think Williams could well be the surprise package next season... and if Button does end up having to drive at Williams, then it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top. :)

It's RARE that some kind of incident doesn't occur at the first chicane at Monza, no ones fault... just a tap.

11. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks