The Italian Job

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, Apr 15, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    so, for those of you who haven't heard of the film, it is a CLASSIC! One of Michael Caine's best, and one of the greatest movies ever. Also, THE best car chase of all time, yes, even better than Bullitt :)

and, it's being redone, not exactly a remake, but a new film that borrows from the original I guess. Some of the same characters and there is another car chase using Minis, this time, new BMW ones. Looks promising, I saw the trailer thinking "oh boy this is gonna suck" but, it didn't and I am now actually looking forward to seeing it...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/the_italian_job/

oh, and if you can get hold of the original, GET IT!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, I just rented the original a couple of months ago - the Mini driving sequences in Turin were nuts.

And its a totally great and perfect film to be redone, brought up to date. I wonder if they'll leave the ending the same...

"I have an idea....."

Also I'd love to see Michael Caine in a cameo!

D

3. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

haha, i don't know if it's still at the end of the credits, but, it says "to be continued..." I've been waiting over 20 bloody years! :rolleyes: and i don't think i'll get an answer to what happens with this movie either :( still, should be a great one, big cast too.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, it does have a bit of a twist compared to the orginal movie. Although I wonder if the Alp shots are taken in the same location - that would be funny.

And bringing it to LA for the final part is a shame too - it would have been better if it was done solely in Europe, but hey, it still looks great.

And doesn't Ed Norton look like a great bad guy? Looks alot like Sean Penn too.

D

5. iGav macrumors G3

Useless trivia time.... when the Mini's are driving through the sewers.... that's in my home town of Coventry..... :p

I do have to wonder why Hollywood insists on remaking 'classic' films, it seemed to start with the remake of Pyscho in the late 90's..... then 'House On Haunted Hill', 'The Haunting', 'Gone In 60 Seconds' etc etc...

Abit pointless....but... :rolleyes: :p

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Supposedly one of the original mini drivers wanted to loop the sewer tunnel, do a 360 around the inside of the pipe, but couldn't do it.

I wonder if they'll do that in the new movie, though? With special effects, of course.....:D

So you ever drive in those sewers iGav?

D

7. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

*reminisces*

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

*cackles*

8. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

yeah there's a sewer mini chase scene in the trailer, three minis keeping the red white and blue colours too (works both sides of the Atlantic that one).

I would have hoped it'd be all shot in Europe, but hey, it's a Hollywood movie.

iGav, Coventry eh? heh, always knew it was a s**thole ;) :p oh, and what about another Caine movie remake, "Get Carter" ~clicks my fingers~ "In a tall glass please!" classic.

yeah Ed Norton looks ok, he's right for that role I think. I'm gonna have a hard time getting over the fact that Mark Wahlberg is gonna be Charlie Croker, ouch. (not that I dislike the guy, Three Kings was awesome)

9. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

such a classic i just had to put it in my sig' :)

10. iGav macrumors G3

:eek: :p :p No comment.... ;) :p :p

11. iGav macrumors G3

All the time..... on my BMX....

'Hi I'm iGav and this is DumbAss' heh heh heh!! :p

Actually the city council wanted the some of the new movie to be filmed there as a homage of some sorts.... :rolleyes:

Very unlikely unless they wanted to do a post nuclear war landscape scene... :eek: :p :p

12. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

*blushes* Ooops! Missed that. Heh.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, that bad now, eh? You got any pics? That would be quite funny and I'd love to see what it looks like today or of you cruising the pipes....:D

D

14. jrichie macrumors regular

minis

Just wondering, didn't most Americans used to laugh at the original mini?? The 'Cooper' must be one of the best cars ever for fun.

Just watched the trailer and am not sure if it will be worth watching in comparison to the original - what about the Fiat roof scene in the original guys????

15. iGav macrumors G3

I was born there and went to Uni there.... it's not hmmmmmm..... that bad... :eek: :p some cool parts and some not so cool parts, unfortunately the Council has a bit of a hard-on for destroying the old medieval parts..... and Coventry is old... very, very old....

Quite recently Time Team (UK Channel 4) discovered foundations for a Catherdral that pretty much dwarfed everything in the country.... It's got the history (it's in the Domesday book) but the current council seems determined to destroy it all..... :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/webcams/index.shtml

and

http://www.cwn.org.uk/designawards/1999/

16. iGav macrumors G3

p.s I've only just started the BMX thing....

I look like a complete tit... I'm pretty sure of that... :eek: :p :p

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You quoted yourself and didn't add anything? What happened?

The images aren't that bad, but not all that impressive, that's for sure.

The Design Award for the House Addition - "9 Shrubberies" sounds like something right out of Monty Python :D

D

18. iGav macrumors G3

I thought I hit the Edit button, it seemed I actually hit the Quote button.... I cunningly changed it though to hide the evidence.... :p

Coventry has some truly amazing buildings.... but since it was nearly flattened in WW2 the council insisted on rebuilding in in a modernist way..... Concrete lots and lots of concrete!!

But as my mum says.... "The Council has managed something Hitler didn't.... they destroyed Coventry"..... quite sad in a way.... :(

19. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

i remember a school trip to Coventry Cathedral, quite impressive, I think that's where I realised I had a fear of heights, trying to go up the tower there or something. odd.

and yeah, the americans, here in nyc anyways, always have a chuckle when i drive my mate's mini thorugh the city. it's great fun though, it's one of only 4 or 5 in new york as far as i know, and some people thinks it's the coolest thing ever, and some just piss themselves laughing. it's even more of a shock when i climb out and they realise that i fit inside, and i'm 6'1". good one for the ladies though ;)

now if only i can get some of them imported........ iGav, know anything about mechanics????

20. iGav macrumors G3

hmmmmm I have my moments but hey.. I used to have a 73 Beetle so you need to know one end of of a screwdriver from the other.... :p

21. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I saw this film last tuesday. Its really really a sub-par action flick....well, until the new minis show up, at least.

The plot was pretty bland, and the first-five-minutes-job was bland. But if you like Jon Statham, or you like spotting BMW 850s, Minis, Ferraris, Aston martins, or like spotting therons Ipod, you will have fun.

While lots of stuff was weak or out of place, I will admit there was one funny scene where seth green does his imitation of john statham while statham tries to pick up a girl.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah damn, I was hoping it would be a little better than what you've said. Too bad - the original was a lot of fun.

So how'd you end up seeing it more than a month before its official release?

D

23. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

First off, The [REAL] Italian Job is the consummate caper film. Absolutely the best, and an undeniable classic. You need to understand a bit of British humor for all the subtleties to ring through (easy for me, being British raised), but even for the most backwoods yokel, it should still be the best crime movie ever.

Second, for those of you who think its ready for/are excited about a remake, I have four words:
    Get Carter & Marky Mark

Third, I'm incredibly pissed off at the movie industry. This DVD (the original) has been out in Europe for a year or two, and was scheduled for release here in the 'States at the same time as the video game.

Want my $$$$? Release it already.

24. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Well,

I know 8 people who have original Minis in NYC, and 3 that have Mokes. So they're not pixie dust uncommon.

As for importing, its a good time.

The new cars have spurred interest in the old cars, and pre 69 cars can be brought in without duty.

25. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Yes, watching the trailier is probably good enough, especially since they seem to be showing key shots in it anyway... and what is it with the 'we need to put a famous rapper into our movie' thing that is going on in Hollywood lately ?

Anyway, I nearly bought a (new) mini, but they are quite expensive and the waiting list was sooooooo long...got a VW Golf VR6 instead :p
    I'll get one as a second car, once I'll be rich and famous :D