"The item will be deleted immediately"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobblemeyer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. bobblemeyer macrumors newbie

My mac takes out the trash instantly. Whenever I put something in the trash a dialog box says "The item will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?"
    I know I must have done something somewhere when I first got the machine-- perhaps in the system user prefs or in ownership and permissions. Please help me figure it out so I can put things in the trash like everyone else.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

It sounds like a ownership problem, check the permissions on your hard disk by doing get info on the drive the owners should be system, group admin and they should both be read and write.
    Also try running repair permissions in the disk utility....

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only time I've run into that is when the item is on a remote drive or in a disk image.

Are you getting this when you're deleting from your main drive?

4. bobblemeyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both. I'm still having the problem.

Apple2Mac,
    I checked permissions. It seems ok. I've included a thumbnail for you to scrutinize.
    I ran disk utility, repairing disk and repairing disk permissions.

Yes, bousozoku, I'm getting this when deleting from my main/system drive.
    In fact when I dispose of something on my media drive I don't have the problem; the item is appropriately moved to the trash.

My system is:
    G5 2Ghz dual

I've been having it since I first acquired the machine. I've been working around it by simply discriminating what I throw in the trash.

At some point I may have clicked "Apply to enclosed items.." in Ownership and Permissions. Could that have caused something?

Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It depends on the permissions and the items receiving those permissions on whether it was a problem.

If the case is that those permissions have been changed to something invalid, repairing permissions won't really help. It's geared mostly toward system items. You'd have to change them manually.

6. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

7. bibliophile1974 macrumors newbie

Booting into safe mode and repairing disk permissions from there worked for me too.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G3

rhett7660

This maybe old, but it still helped me. Thank you for posting.