The 'iWeb won't publish after 1.1' thread

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LastLine, May 17, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Since updating to iWeb 1.1 on day of release I have been unable to upload my site to .mac, after several attempts to reupload I keep getting a repeat message

"Publish Error
    An error occurred while publishing file “/Web/Sites/iWeb/Band/Home/Home_files/IMG_3259.png”.

and a cancelled upload. It appears that the site is uploading in parts but missing out any .mac specific elements. The program will publish to a folder however this obviously doesn't have any of the .mac specific elements either. How can I get this to work properly?

2. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Same here. Mine fails to upload as well everytime. Always on a different .png file everytime. I have tried 30+ times now and it's getting fustrating.

I have deleted my iWeb from my .Mac and still the same thing.

I also I tried uploading from a different machine and the same thing again...

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Same here too. It's been happening since I upgraded to 1.1. Tons of errors -- a different one each time. Sometimes it fails on PDFs, other times on DOCs, others on PNGs. The last time I got a network error. Really annoying.

4. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Glad I didn't bother updating....

sorry to hear about that guys.

5. Gibbling macrumors newbie

I got to work by replacing the pictures on my site that I nvr archived (dragged a picture to iweb and deleted it from the HD) and then I placed them in iPhoto. and everything works fine.

6. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

It's not affecting everyone. Mine updated fine...

(sorry to hear others are having problems though)

7. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

that sounsd like way too much work for me to be doing. I have many pics and some I probably can't replace now. Hopefully Apple will come up with a small update soon to fix it.

Some of the error messages refer to pics that are just background images.

8. Placeholder macrumors member

Placeholder

Mine had the same problems, but finally uploaded after the 5th or 6th try. My advice is 'keep trying', but I know that doesn't cut it after try number 30...
    The update brings some nice things though: ability to comment (finally no more icomment) and the ability to just publish changes instead of the whole site.

9. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

What system are you running?

10. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

I rebuilt my entire site and still nothing :p lol

But mine's running on the G5 in my sig for what it's worth.

11. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

12. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd kill for a beachball - this messages are beginning to drive me mad!

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I had similar problems when I updated to iWeb 1.0.1. But now the same thing is happening again and my site is way too big to be deleted and redone or for me to try to find the root of the problem. I think it may be a PNG-related issue and something to do with reflections. Maybe I'll try undoing all the reflections and then replacing them all again and seeing if that does anything.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've only been able to successfully publish once in my many, many attempts over the last few days. I hate to say but am very disappointed in the 1.1 update. Ugh! Did Apple assign all those Aperture engineers to the iWeb team?

15. Gee macrumors 65816

I had loads of problems with 1.1 not working, like you guys have all described. Someone on the Apple Discussions solved the problem, for me at least.

I'd noticed that 1.1 seems to have changed its naming conventions for the file page names - before they were those long lists of (seemingly) random numbers, now they use the name of each page.

My problem (publishing errors, pages that published but then wouldn't do slide shows, etc) stemmed from my use of punctuation in my page names (Simon's Photos) - no problem before, but in 1.1, the apostrophe buggered up me pages. Renaming the page to Simon_Photo fixed it.

Might not be the solution to everything, but it might help...

16. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

:rolleyes: lol that made me laugh :D Needed that.

I read somewhere that people on the Apple boards suspect it to be something to do with the way .mac handles it's bandwidth so it's possible the current .mac downtime is related to it somehow. :confused:

17. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

seems i'm part of the "no publisher club".

"An error occurred while publishing file"

Also, iweb doesn't ask me anymore if i want to publish only changes.

annoying:mad:

19. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I don't have a .Mac account, and I'm running iWeb 1.01, should I really update the program? How prevalent are these problems with publishing? I just publish mine to a folder and then FTP it to my host.

20. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

From what I gather, it is only publisging to .Mac that causes problems, not publishing to a folder.

BTW, "SC68Cal" interesting nick, were you attending Berkeley in 1968 or does it stand for something totally different?

21. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

No, I do some writing for www.68caliber.com , a paintball website. That's where that comes from

22. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

this may seem like just a coincidence, but i had the same publishing problems as everyone else. but when i tried to update while having my idisk open to my iweb folder, it would publish. ejecting my idisk gives me the same publishing problems as before.

23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks, i will try this this evening. i had the impression the iweb gets stuck during publishing at varying points. sometimes my webpage was up although iweb said there was a problem. maybe the idisk is slow and iweb gets hung randomly durng the process. keeping the idisk open could somehow stabilise/speed up the connection?:confused:

24. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

This would actually make sense as it maintains a server connection to the iDisk...I'd guess. I'm gonna try it now. To the Web folder, or to the Sites folder out of interest?

EDIT: Looks like a lucky coincidence. Nothing for me :(

25. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Ok, I keep trying to republish without success. The benefit to iWeb 1.1 over 1.0.1 is that at least most of the changes to get published, even if it does fail. However, blog comments don't appear on my published site, and the blog search returns nothing whatever I type in the search box.

Sigh... :(