The Japanese GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Oct 8, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So we come to what is IMHO the best GP of the season, on the best track of season!! the mighty Suzuka!! :D

Sadly it's usual end of year place, the scene of some classic duels and Championship deciding races (Senna Vs Prost '89, '90, and Mika Vs Schu '98 and '00) has now gone to Interlagos, Brazil... :eek: :rolleyes:

After 1st and 2nd Practice in what were torrential conditions, the Rainmeister (Schu) has topped both sessions, unfortunately it's looking like Super Typhoon 22 is due to hit Suzuka just before quali tomorrow, so qualifying has been postponed until Sunday morning (even then it's likely that'll occur in wet conditions), hopefully though neither quali or the race will be called off *crosses fingers*.

So then, quali predictions.... and it's likely to be a very, very wet one!

1. Schumacher
    2. Barrichello
    3. Fisichella
    4. Button
    5. Raikkonen
    6. Massa

Race

1. Schumacher
    2. Barrichello
    3. Fisichella
    4. Button
    5. Massa
    6. Raikkonen

Thoughts??

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

If it is really raining there's nothing that can beat the Schumacher/Bridgestone combo. But since he's already world champion... who cares? :D
    It'll be far more interesting if they really make the cars less and the drivers more important with them changing the rules. Because if they do so then we might see yet another year of Schumacher dominance. That's not to say I don't appreciate his skills but even as a die hard Schumacher fan this does get a bit tiring.

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Yeah, the friggin typhoon just left this afternoon. It's like the 7th we've had come through here :rolleyes:

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

7th.... :eek:

just reading that the typhoon has missed Suzuka, so hopefully it's game on for tomorrow!! :D

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

don't you guys trust that kimi can drive in the wet? i'm very surprised. it might rain more in england, but finnish people can drive a car even if the track was icy ;) plus, i'm not at all convinced that schumi is so good in wet conditions - remember silverstone a while back, and interlagos last year? fisichella however seems to be good in wet conditions, so i'm guessing the podium will be:

- kimi
    - schumi
    - fischi

i think they will not do qualifying session at all this time. they could very well start the race with the last race final results, i think there's some odd regulation for this kind of situations.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Hakkinen couldn't... ;)

Don't you remember Spa this year, when he put the car 2nd on the grid in torrential conditions (when both Kimi and Barrichello made mistakes on their laps in the same conditions), to be 2nd to a car that had qualified in the dry is a massive achievement.

Or qualifying in Suzuka last year, when he had to do his quali lap in conditions so bad, he was the only driver to actually complete a lap in those conditions.

Remember Spain 1996?? where he was over 4 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else on wet laps :eek: ;) or what about Suzuka 2000 when he whooped Hakkinen as soon as it started to rain (admittedly Hakkinen was crap in the rain, but he was also a double WDC).

Or remember Silverstone in 1998 when it started to rain, and Hakkinen couldn't keep it on the track and went off whilst Schu was pressurising him ;) Schu took the win again.

Or Maylasia in 2001 when on intermediates (in Monsoon conditions when everyone else was on wets) he was lapping some 5 seconds quicker than any non Ferrari (in Ron Dennis's opinion he was on completely the wrong tyre to the point that it was dangerous) and spent the race overtaking people on the outside of corners.

Or Indianapolis last year, as soon as it started to rain... ;)

And the scary thing is... there's several other wet races where he's decimated everyone else... :eek: not so good in the rain my arse... :eek: :p :p

Interlagos last year was a rare mistake... but he was lapping multiple seconds quicker than anyone else at the same time he went off, same can be said at Spa in 1998 when he was on course to LAP the entire field, until DC held him up for several laps, and then lifted off ON the racing line... even the best make mistakes though (look at Senna at a wet Adelaide '89) sh*t happens.

I do however look forward to Kimi joining Ferrari after Schu retires, it'll be good to see him be a team mate to either Rossi or Liuzzi!! :D

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Can't wait! There's no live qualifying on ITV is there? I guess it's just a 6am start then.

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well rain always makes racing more interesting :) and if Mclaren and BMW's cars can last the distance without anymore engine problems, it should be a great race.

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

mate, i think you need to get out more, that's just scary ;)

i have trouble remembering what i had for dinner yesterday, let alone an f1gp from 8 yrs ago! :)

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Fisi on the podium eh iGav? Interesting....

I must say, there's one guy who was better in the wet than Schumi. I think there was one race where he did really well... *cough*donington'93*cough* :D

Simply put, Schumi is the rainmaster of todays grid. Other drivers are close, Rubens usually does well in the wet (especially back with Stewart, Moncao '97), Last year's Japanese GP, and at Interlagos last year, he was leading after Schumi spun, only to have the car die (it was fuel or electronics, I forget which)

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

GRAH! :mad:
    ****! STUPID DC!! :mad: :mad:

And of course, right after I switch from Toyota to Jaguar chassis, both Toy's finish, and Webber pulls out. :mad:

Well, at least Button got 32 points for me, plus another 6 from the Bridgestones :(

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

That was a wet prediction for the race :) such is the Bridgestones wet advantage, and Saubers strong race pace this season and Fisi's undoubted speed in the rain, I think it would've been doable, think about it... how many top teams are on Bridgestones? and Sauber are really close to most top teams in race trim in the dry (like Fisi was today) :)

Donnington '93 was a superb drive ;), but I'd argue that it was no better achievement than Schu at either Spain '96 or Malaysia '01. :eek:

Reasons... we should consider that at that time, who was Senna's main competition?? Prost. A driver well known for not being able to cut it in the rain (Adelaide '89, Monaco '84). That alone negated the advantage of the Williams Renault... its driver didn't have the balls in the rain.

Now many of the other teams (Benetton for example) weren't even running Traction Control at this race, meaning that Senna's car had a significant advantage over the majority of the grid, except of course the Williams Renault, whose advantage was negated by Prost (Hill was a rookie, and again wasn't exactly greased lightnin' through the wet stuff at anytime during his career) and such an un-equal advantage enjoyed by Senna over the rest of the grid takes the sheen off it IMHO, although it was still MIGHTILY impressive and amazing to watch. :)

In '96 the cars were more equal... with no driver aids ;) so no one had an advantage over anyone else, the conditions were ALOT worse (Donnington was a Wet/Dry race) and like Senna, Schu wasn't in anywhere near the best car that season yet decimated the field lapping 4+ seconds quicker than anyone else when the conditions were at there worst with an engine that was for much of the race firing on only 8-9 cylinders. :eek:

What made Malaysia just as impressive is that he fought from mid-pack, after having to queue behind Rubens in the pits (for 72 seconds), only to race on what Ron Dennis said were the wrong tyres, in Monsoon conditions (Donnington was a drizzle in comparison) and proceeded to lap up to 5 seconds quicker than other non-Ferrari's and overtaking people on the outside of corners and offline (much like Senna did at Donnington).

Anyway... Donnington 1993 was one of the greatest wet races ever, I just don't necessarily think it is any more impressive than either of the races above when all things are evened out and taken into consideration ;)

Back to Suzuka... ignore Schu's demonstration run, and there was quite a good race going down... especially with the likes of Alonso, Kimi, Montoya and Rubens mid grid, it's a massive shame that the Japanese Director didn't have a clue though like China and Monza we missed alot of the action, like how many incidents did we miss...??? didn't get to see the BAR duo switch places (very dodge considering team orders are banned and all) or even the accident between DC and Rubens... (did you guys see it on the Speed Channel?)

Good to see Ralf back on track though, for the 2nd race on the trot he's had the measure of Montoya, and he's certainly looking smooth at the moment. Certainly next year is going to be quality... what with Montoya Vs Kimi (I reckon Kimi will cane him), Webber Vs. Button (probably) and Fisichella Vs. Alonso (Alonso hasn't impressed this season, Fisi will take him) next year could really make or break some names eh!! :eek: :p

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, Fisi did have a great race, he might have done one place better if he hadn't had that off...
    Note to self: to see a really long post by iGav, hint that Senna was better in the wet than Schumi
    Didn't see the BAR on BAR pass, but we did see the collision after the race.

Kimi is going to completely own JPM :D Too bad about Panis having a ****** final race. A big stretch from winning in Monaco to finishing near-last in your team's home GP.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Sauber are really taking big strides now that their Wind Tunnel has come on stream... it's a very quick car in a straight line... and works well on pretty much every circuit, they're also working better on the new Bridgestones which has been a problem for them earlier in the season where they've had to compromise quali for the race, they could be a surprise team next year though!

Hahahahaha... it's the great debate though isn't it... who's better Senna or Schu.

Donnington is the race that crops up time and time again, and I just don't think it was the race many people think it was, the same with Monaco in '84, you hear the Sennaphiles go on about that race, and the injustice of it all because it was stopped half way and he was catching the leader Prost at several seconds per lap and would've won it easily had it not been stopped early, yet they completely ignore the fact that Stefan Bellof was catching Senna faster than he was catching Prost and would've won that race by a country mile from both of them.

Bellof was incredible (some thought the next Gilles Villeneuve such was his pure speed and agression) massive shame he was killed at Spa driving a Porsche 956B in '85, he NEVER lifted, and that's what killed him at Spa, trying to overtake Jacky Ickx on the OUTSIDE of Eau Rouge... :( otherwise we might have been comparing him to Senna and Schu...