The Jolly Roger

Discussion in 'Community' started by Marble, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Do any of you have a link for where I could find a picture of the "skull and swords" Jolly Roger pirate flag that Steve Jobs flew above the Macintosh headquarters for my desktop? I'm living in a dorm room and seriously want to convince any potential users of my laptop that it is a bad idea. I'm going to throw passwords all over it, too.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

what ever happened to rigging a shotgun with some pulleys and fishing line? those were the days.

pnw

3. Marble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marble

I've got a post-hole digger instead.

Get with the modern age, man.

4. Marble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marble

I forgot to mention that my desktop resolution is 1280x854. If anyone can help me get a pirate flag that size, I would really appreciate it.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

why would a pirate flag as your desktop scare anyone.....i mean if you want it cuz it looks cool then fine but no one is scared of computer backgrounds unless u were able to photoshop something really gorry and make it look like u took a picture of a violent crime u commited then maybew

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

interestingly, the term "skull bones" in an image search on google with a "very large" restriction on image size brings up an image of G.W. Bush. i found that rather humorous.

couldn't find anything particularly good, but this might help:

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That is a good idea.

You should make a background in Photoshop of yourself stabbing someone in the dorm.

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Kind of figures, having been a member of the Skull & Bones Club and all...

9. Marble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marble

I suppose a more violent picture would be deterring, but the skull and bones emblem is such a prominent Apple icon now, too, that it fits appropriately, despite.
    And yes, it looks cool.

Thanks for the picture, shadowfax! Now to get a Kensington security cable and a fingerprint scanner and a voice lock :p.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

when/why did jobs fly the skull and bones over apple? That actually is pretty damn funny....

D

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its a secret society not a club more secretive than a frat.... theres conspiracy theory galore on the methods of such societies but no one really knows its doubtful they have that much influence. hasn't anyone seen the movie "the skulls" ...hehe

12. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    From woz.org:

E-mail Question to Steve "The Woz":
    "I just have to ask you about the Pirate Flag that was in the ["Pirates of Silicon Valley"] movie. Was the flag real or was that something they added in the movie? If it was true, who's idea was it? While watching the movie, my only guess was that Apple raised the flag when Bill Gates met with Steve Jobs for a business meeting."

Woz answers:
    [the flag in the movie] couldn't be the real flag. It did fly all the time.

13. Marble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marble

Jobs flew the Jolly Roger over the Macintosh headquarters while it was competing with the Apple ][. There are MacWorld news articles about it, just google for "Steve Jobs pirate flag apple" or something.

Those were the days ;).