The Journeyman Project!

Discussion in 'Games' started by eclipse525, Feb 25, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Hey, does anyone remember this game? It was sorta like Myst but more SciFi. Does anyone know what the heck happen to it?

I believe they came out with 2 of them and that's it.

Is there anything out today that's similar? I loved that game.

~e

2. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

My jaw dropped when i saw this on the side bar. Yeah this was the coolest game! I think I still have the disc. Now I want to find it so I can rip it through iTunes. The CD doubled as an audio CD. My dad spent so long mapping the maze level. Oh I was just a kid about 11 years old, but I loved it.

3. woxel1 macrumors member

The Journeyman series was awesome! I played through Turbo (the first game but 300% "faster") and Legacy of Time, but I missed Buried in Time which I hear was the best in the series.

Presto was notable for having a nice logo. Top Hat Woo!
    Oh yeah and they made Myst 3 before they closed shop... aw...

Oh yeah, so what "happened to it"? Well, there was a remake of Journeyman that came out in 1997 called Pegasus Prime. I don't know much about it, but the more Journeyman the better!

4. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Wow I didn't know there were so many. Makes me want to boot up an old Mac just to play it

5. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

I found my CD in a box! It has the coolest soundtrack and iTunes found the track information on CDDB. The music is intense and dramatic

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Now I have to go look through old boxes! Might pull out the IIci just to play it.

7. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Requires Quicktime version 1.5 and 5MB of RAM my dad and I had a good laugh over that

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Journeyman Projects

Now THERE was a kickass game series! To this day I fondly remember the Journeyman Projects as the finest gaming experience I've EVER had. They had it all...plot, cinematics, puzzles, beautiful scenery, historical information (I learned a hell of a lot about Leonardo da Vinci from the second Journeyman Project), etc etc etc.

There were three offical Journeyman Projects, with a fourth called Pegasus Prime being a remake of the original Journeyman Project. I am a proud owner or all four, and they still have seats of honour in my game collection. Pity they don't run natively on Mac OS X. The second Journeyman Project (Buried in Time) was the first one I heard about, because it came with our old Performa 5260 (I think?!?). A few years later, I was browsing through the game section in FutureShop, and I noticed an intriguing box with big letters up top, spelling "The Journeyman Project 3 -- Legacy of Time". I bought it and played the hell out of it. I think everyone in my family had a shot at it! I later went on to buy the Journeyman Project Turbo, and Pegasus Prime.

For anyone interested, The Journeyman Project 3 was done by Presto Studios (of course!) and Red Orb. After the third in the series, I wanted more, so I looked around online for a few days and gathered scant bits of information. I got the impression that Presto Studios has been bought out by some other company (whose name I now forget), and that a fourth Journeyman Project was initially planned, but was later canned due to reasons unknown. I don't know how much of that is really true, and I'd appreciate it if anyone with a little more info could enlighten me.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I played the original on the PC, but never got very far. I also was sent a demo copy of one of the later versions, I believe the setting was in the lost city of Atlantis. Very cool looking game. Its great to see it mentioned again.

10. afonso macrumors member

oh yes... addicted by all three of them, but buried in time was definitel the best... :)

only two series of games i ever became passionate about, myst and journeyman project.

:) a.

11. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Now if there should ever be a remake or another addition to the series, "The Journeyman Project" it should be at the top of the list. I can't believe no one has even mentioned it.

~e

12. benbondu macrumors regular

Buried in Time was the first game I played on a PowerMac. I remember thinking how beautiful the graphics were. It was one of my favorite games just for that reason. Not much replay value. I didn't so much like the interface. It was pretty clumsy compared to point and click Myst style games. I played Journeyman Project Turbo after that but found it difficult to go to the less stellar graphics. It obviously had all of the interface problems its sequal had too. I also didn't like dying.

I still have the Buried in Time CDs. I tried playing them in Classic mode but couldn't get over the old graphics. Its the visual effects that really made that series I think. Although I'm certain there are at least 100 people who would completely disagree with that.

I never played the 3rd one. I read a review that said it was okay but that Arthur's voice got really annoying after a while. I played the demo and found it to be true after 5 min. The QTVR was very sexy though.

But the Journeyman Project is definately one of those rare gems in Mac gaming. It pushed cutting edge graphics technology more than any other adventure series released for the platform.

13. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

HAAA!!! I hadn't thought about Buried in Time in ages!!! Great game. Anyone remember using the cheez whiz to get to the space station??? :)

14. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I have JMP Turbo for Windows (I hear it was better on Mac) and the DVD of Legacy of Time, which with a file I downloaded off the 'net runs very well on my iMac G5 in Classic.

I never got to play Buried in Time -- maybe someday I will find a copy.

15. andrewm macrumors regular

Macintosh Demo Games, anyone?

I used to have a CD (an extra that came with our Macintosh Performa 600, my first Mac) entitled 'Macintosh Demo Games.' It had one a Journeyman sampler; one of the Lemmings games; I recall the phrases 'Swamp Gas' and 'Teenies'; a version of Weltris; all (or most) with a colour option for those fortunate enough to possess such advanced CRTs for their computers.

A great deal of fun resulted from my ripping the sound effects and icons from the games with the aid of resource extractors--37th Res Ex (Yellowsoft, I think--still on the Hyperarchive) almost came in handy again for a recent porting project. I managed quite quickly to fill up our small HD, which was of course less than 150 Mb, with my collection, a feat that made me proud.

Sadly, I have lost to time my lavish collection of resources, and gave away the CD-ROM years ago. *sigh*

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Talk about a blast from the past - yeah, I had all 3 games. 'Buried in time' was far the best, though - if only for the Python-derived humour. One of my all-time favorite games =]

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I agree, I think the humor was the best aspect, though the graphics were very slick, and some good voice talent. Being able to walk through, explore, and interact with what could have been DaVinci's laboratory was really magical, and it was long before I had heard the term "FPS"...if they were around then (Wolfenstein 3D?), they must have been pretty primitive visually compared to BIT. The other locations were also absorbing, and it had some fun and challenging puzzles, which reminded me of the great Infocom games.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have the demo of Legacy, which came with Riven (Myst 2), but haven't played any of the others.

19. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Pathways Into Darkness

20. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

My GOD!!! This post brings me a bit of nostalgia... It reminds me of the times where i would sit in front of my LC475 (I was too little then, I am now 19 years old, imagine how young I was then!) and inserting Macformat's CD rom into the drive (it contained Buried in Time demo) eagarly awaiting to see this game...

But I never had the chance to buy it. I wish I had. Later, I bought Riven, and it contained a demo of Legacy of Time. Stupidity stuck my door for the second time, not allowing me to purchase the game.

So many years have passed, that I really find it impossible to find this game in the stores (especially in greece!). Too bad.

But I think they are by far some of the best games of all time!